Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/9/19 7:16 p.m.

Louis - Let's Do It ...

I love Louis Armstrong. I've been listening to him for years. (My father's influence. Thanks, Franklin. Lots of original 78 rpm albums. Lately, I've been focusing on Louis's work with Ella Fitzgerald ... and there's some great work there. Tonight I heard this song for the first time. (Ella's not on it). I was aware of the particular song from my childhood, (i.e., Cole Porter, Great American Songbook, etc.) but forgot all about it, until I saw the movie "Midnight In Paris" a few years ago. Great movie. Then it was in my head a lot. Excellent All-American song, and Cole Porter, great American songwriter from the twenties and thirties was the guy who wrote it. But then tonight I heard Louis do it, and thought: "It's the best, Jerry ... the best!"

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/9/19 8:30 p.m.

Let's Fall In Love - From the Movie

From "Midnight In Paris" ... the guy who played Cole Porter in the movie

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/15/19 6:40 p.m.

Yellow Moon - Neville Brothers

Great live performance. One of my favorite groups from around thirty years ago. So, Annie's younger sister Marie (single, sexy, and available ... and loves vintage racing and guys with Porsches ... not shallow, just refined like Annie) spent the night with us last night. She also loves music and dancing.  Turns out she loves this song. We'd had a few glasses of vino, so we danced in our sunroom to this song. Fun. Too bad it wasn't a full moon.

Great dance music I might add.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/15/19 9:25 p.m.

Sergio Franchi

Great Italian singer. Great car guy.  (Many great classic cars). Unfortunately he died of the Big C  a few years ago. His wife still has an opera memorial to him every August in Stonington, CT, on his estate. Sold out this year. We'll try to get in next year.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/15/19 9:46 p.m.
buenavides1 said:

High Hopes by Panic! At the Disco

Quoting an old post here. But that's the song that was on the radio when I went full polish rally driver into the creek with the Crosstour. Good to have songs to mark special memories with I guess...

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/15/19 9:56 p.m.

Scott Hamilton at Jazzland

A native of Providence, RI. I've seen him perform often locally. Now he lives overseas and performs to audiences there. Tenor saxaphone jazz at it's best.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/15/19 10:17 p.m.

Scott Hamilton - Skylark ... but a long, long time ago

This has to be from the seventies. This is how he was in his early years in RI.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/17/19 7:38 p.m.

Leon Redbone - Crazy Blues

Leon Redbone ... rest his soul. I loved the guy and his music. Saw him perform live at Chan's a few years ago (well, quite a few). I always thought Harvest Moon was my favorite until I heard this version of this song by him.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/17/19 8:18 p.m.

Latest dark electro finds:

Gamma Intel - Motives & Methods

A no-filler, all-killer album.

Next, I've only found 2 tracks from this guy who goes by Shun, but both are great. His style is like a cross between Yuzo Koshiro and Kyle Richards:

Shun - Programmed Pattern

Shun - Night Wind

Honorable mentions:

Andrew Claristidge & Leonard de Leonard - Graf Horror Charly!

Front Line Assembly feat. Jimmy Urine - Rock Me Amadeus

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/17/19 10:30 p.m.

Kenny Wayne ... whatever

I really didn't think a blues man could be successful if he didn't sing. This guy doesn't sing. So I wrote him off years ago. But apparently he hired a singer. Between the two they made a pretty good blues song. Although he's a pretty good blues guitar guy, the fact that he can't sing is a huge negative.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/17/19 10:47 p.m.

David Gilmour and Friends

I do like David Gilmour, with or without his former partners

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/18/19 8:53 p.m.

Orlando 6-18-2019

Yeah ... for some really strange reason (sarcasm), the great and powerful YT platform doesn't allow the original full song including the first minute or so easily accessible anymore. Gee, I wonder why? Think about that.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/22/19 9:56 p.m.

Helen Jane Long

I spent the last two days at Thompson for their annual Vintage Motorsports Festival. It was great. Three organizations participated: VRG, VSCCA, and HRG. Great cars, large fields, challenging 1.7 mile road course, and overall a great experience. Now I'm home drinking Bordeaux, and listening to some easy music.

I met great new friends, and reconnected with old friends (some from this forum). This sport is great. Thank you CMS and GRM!

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/22/19 10:06 p.m.

Porcelain - Helen Jane Long

Another good one by this great artist. (Still chilling with the Bordeaux).

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/24/19 9:27 p.m.

Angels of Venice

Back in the nineties and early oughts, Annie and I spent a LOT of time in SoCal for business and vacation. We both worked for the same company but in different jobs. (For anybody interested, she in Customer Service Management, and me in Marketing/Technical Sales/Product Management). We loved SoCal. Actually, we still do despite the tremendous problems they're experiencing. And we still visit Palm Springs often for the McCormick Classic Car auctions twice a year. But in the "early years" we visited the LA and Orange County beach communities often, including Venice Beach ... and we heard these three ladies perform live. They were excellent. As courteous guests, we bought their CD. But I haven't heard them in years. So tonight I came in from the firepit and Annie was playing this in our sunroom on Amazon music. Nice. It brought back memories.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/24/19 10:24 p.m.

Roger's Song

It's actually a Kevin Kern song. But to us it's Roger's song. Roger was our knucklehead mutt ... who we loved dearly. Roger died young, at twelve. When he needed to be put down, we were playing this music. The vet came to our house and did the deed. Difficult day. But the following day was Rennsport One at Lime Rock. So I was able to persuade Annie to accompany me to Lime Rock for the inaugural Rennsport Reunion to take her mind off Roger. As much as we missed Roger, Rennsport helped our recovery. (But this song is a real tear-jerker for us every time we hear it).

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/24/19 11:09 p.m.

So Far From the Clyde

This is one of my favorite songs by Mark. My great and only son Jason got us tickets to see Mark at Foxwoods in August. Miraculously, by lottery, front and center stage. So I'll be able to converse with Mark. I'm sure this song isn't on his play list. Brothers In Arms might be ... which I love. But this song is so much like it, so I will definitely shout it out to see if he plays it. 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/24/19 11:21 p.m.

Mark

I think I'll be pretty close to this guy at Foxwoods. Close enough that I can ask him what he had for dinner. But I wouldn't. smiley

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
6/24/19 11:30 p.m.

News from lake wobegon playlist on yt. I don’t think Mr Keillor and I would agree on much but I love hearing these stories, told well, especially the older episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeUMcy7ULiie8BCe1JVsLUo0YrzOOruhG

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/26/19 10:52 p.m.

Zombies

A blast from the sixties. Oh yeah. Dave Matthews did a fairly decent impression a few years ago. But the Zombies original is still the best.

Enigma
Enigma New Reader
6/27/19 7:27 a.m.

Gavin DeGraw right now

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/27/19 8:04 a.m.

Archspire - Relentless Mutation.  Can't link it on youtube because I'm at work, but it certainly makes me work twice as fast.  And their drummer might be the most talented I've ever heard.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/28/19 7:54 p.m.

Frank Grimaldi - TransAm 68 Camaro at Thompson 2014

Frank was back at Thompson with this beautiful car last week. He's a fantastic driver. It's a fantastic car!

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/28/19 10:15 p.m.
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/29/19 9:09 a.m.

Screaming Females

It's been a long time since a guitar player of either sex has blown me away.  

Here she is playing with Garbage covering Because the Night

Shred ain't dead. devil

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MC6ca6G7Dsi2bkhrcniLAp7l5SrfCcZm0NBSBrU77gL7UxPDUR6o0iYjDdx8AFdl