9 10 11 12 13
rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
12/7/17 10:23 p.m.

Did some searching to find this thread and realized there's also the Grassroots Booksports one going on.  Just  a couple of updates.  Hopefully it helps someone else, like myself, looking for ideas of new reading material. The latest ones are:

Artemis: Andy Weir - Definitely not as techy/scientific (or as good) as The Martian, but a decent read.  It goes pretty quickly. 

Paradox Bound: Peter Clines - Weir recommended this book in his AMA a couple of days ago.  I knew nothing about it and went into it blind expecting a sci fi novel.  It is not sci fi but a GREAT book.  Quick read, flows really well with enough twists to keep it interesting.  Lots of fun and I can guarantee it'll be one I come back to.

-Rob

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/8/17 7:49 a.m.

I actually found Artemis to be much more scientific than expected.  The main character's inner monologue addresses a lot of physics/chemistry issues associated with life on the moon.  I very much enjoyed it.

Listening to Hillbilly Elegy right now.  Its very interesting.

Karacticus
Karacticus HalfDork
12/8/17 9:31 a.m.

Recently started the new Expanse novel.

Was kind of sad at them beginning-- everybody got old!  

In farther, not done yet, but it's a tough one to put down!

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
12/8/17 10:32 a.m.
Karacticus said:

Recently started the new Expanse novel.

Was kind of sad at them beginning-- everybody got old!  

In farther, not done yet, but it's a tough one to put down!

Thanks for the heads up!!  I didn't realize there was a new one out. 

-Rob

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/8/17 11:02 a.m.

Working on Retribution by Troy Denning on the fiction front. Chewing through The Soviet Juggernaut from the Time-Life Books series on WWII on the non-fiction side.

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
12/8/17 3:17 p.m.

Just started Deception Point last night. Read it before (like the other 200 books in my "library") but a good read. 

Previous to that I burned through a couple Jack Reacher books and a Clive Cussler. Previous to that was 1984 and Animal House. I needed something a little lighter for a bit. 

I really need to sit down and figure out which Reacher books I'm missing. I think I have most of them. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/8/17 3:40 p.m.

Started the book "The Great Halifax Explosion" by John U Bacon, which is about the largest man made explosion before the atomic age, that happened 100 years ago on Dec 6, 1917.  Fun fact in the book- for those of you in Boston- ever wonder why Halifax gives you a huge Christmas tree every year?  Your reaction to this tragedy is why. And that help also warmed some rather cool relations between Canada and the US.

And after seeing Hamilton, the American Musical, we also got "Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow- the book that inspired Lin-Manuel Miranda to write the musical.  This one should be good.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
12/8/17 4:44 p.m.

That and the story of Patrick Vincent Coleman who risked (and lost) his life in order to warn the oncoming train has been all over the TV up here lately.

Just finished Thinking, fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman. I don't have anything else lined up at the moment which is a drag because I'm working nights this weekend.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/9/17 2:01 p.m.

I’m trying to get a chapter a night of David Copperfield. Friends gave away a lot of books so I grabbed all the audio books for my new commute. Currently on the last disk of Shatner Rules. Fairly funny. 

chada75
chada75 Reader
12/10/17 3:42 a.m.

One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/10/17 1:47 p.m.
Bobcougarzillameister said:

Just started Deception Point last night. Read it before (like the other 200 books in my "library") but a good read. 

Previous to that I burned through a couple Jack Reacher books and a Clive Cussler. Previous to that was 1984 and Animal House. I needed something a little lighter for a bit. 

I really need to sit down and figure out which Reacher books I'm missing. I think I have most of them. 

One of my favorite series, i have all of them aside from the newest one (reacher) im currently reading tom clancys op center series.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/7/18 7:59 p.m.

Found this for $10. Bought it mostly as a joke (I'm employed as a machinist), but it's actually pretty interesting to see how things got done before technology took over.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
3/7/18 8:10 p.m.

Just finished "Fly For Your Life" an old Bantam War Book about British Spitfire ace Robert Sanford Tuck.  Good read.  The man certainly lived an interesting life.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/7/18 10:20 p.m.

Listening to American Gods right now.  The full cast audiobook is excellent.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
3/8/18 1:34 p.m.

I've been on a 'self-improvement' kick and I'm reading Crushing It! by Gary Vaynerchuk ATM.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/8/18 1:46 p.m.

Friday by Heinlein. It finally came out in ebook format along with several of his other books. I'll probably work my way through all of them again as I download them. 

wjones
wjones New Reader
3/8/18 3:03 p.m.

The Girl in the Spider's Web. I need to finish the extended series.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/8/18 3:39 p.m.

Rollback by Thomas Woods. It's a little out of date since it has a lot of references to things that were news back when it was written and now are things that happened almost a decade ago now.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
3/8/18 4:47 p.m.

In reply to minivan_racer :

I've read something by vaynerchuck, not sure what though...

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
3/8/18 4:49 p.m.

Just finished reading zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, for the second time in my life.

I'm pretty sure it's the best book I have ever read. Like all the adult jokes in a Disney movie, I did not see it the first time.

Next up- I don't know. A co-worker strongly recommends "sapiens", a short history on our species.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
3/8/18 6:05 p.m.
kazoospec said:

Just finished "Fly For Your Life" an old Bantam War Book about British Spitfire ace Robert Sanford Tuck.  Good read.  The man certainly lived an interesting life.  

This is one of my favourite books from my youth. I acquired my copy when I was about 8 years old from my next door neighbour captain Dick Gage, B-17 navigator. I was impressed by his response to the question he was asked when being interviewed to join the RAF, "what can you tell me about the latest developments in I C E?" Tuck had no idea what , I C E meant and responds  " Sir, being at sea for the past few years I have not been able to stay up to date". He figured out later that ICE is internal combustion engine and that his answer was a good one. I read that book many times.

Another good British WW2 aviation book is To War in a Stringbag. It is the tale of flying a Fairey Swordfish. I wore that book out as well.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/8/18 6:27 p.m.

Just finished Junior Seau biography by Jim Trotter.  Excellent look into CTE

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
3/8/18 6:29 p.m.

The Remains of the Day

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
3/8/18 6:33 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I actually found Artemis to be much more scientific than expected.  The main character's inner monologue addresses a lot of physics/chemistry issues associated with life on the moon.  I very much enjoyed it.

Listening to Hillbilly Elegy right now.  Its very interesting.

I too liked Artemis. As a weldor I am a little bit puzzled about Weir having the weldors rely on oxy acetylene welding and cutting of aluminum. They have basically unlimited electricity available and vacuum, both of which make for good arc welding.  Oxy fuel welding of aluminum is possible but far from ideal. Cutting aluminum with oxy acetylene is a disaster.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/8/18 7:14 p.m.

9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z3xzpnHowZaUKMmf71Xag34xTcym0avcjyHMtXCbmsEVvjWlJgc6ehaKUx5x4yS6