nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
3/8/18 11:57 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Read that many years ago. smiley  I'll have to dig it out again sometime.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/9/18 10:01 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

i read it about every 24 months or so.   he uses lots of fancy thesaurus words, so i've been using my dictionary this time through.   i kinda feel dirty by the end, because i don't love any job i've had for the last 10 years, but i really like the pay and the work-life balance.  i just wanna build stuff, my way, but i can't pursue that as a primary direction for at least another 10 years, and by that time i'll be old as berkeley.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
3/9/18 11:19 a.m.
pilotbraden said:
kazoospec said:

Just finished "Fly For Your Life" an old Bantam War Book about British Spitfire ace Robert Sanford Tuck.  Good read.  The man certainly lived an interesting life.  

This is one of my favourite books from my youth. I acquired my copy when I was about 8 years old from my next door neighbour captain Dick Gage, B-17 navigator. I was impressed by his response to the question he was asked when being interviewed to join the RAF, "what can you tell me about the latest developments in I C E?" Tuck had no idea what , I C E meant and responds  " Sir, being at sea for the past few years I have not been able to stay up to date". He figured out later that ICE is internal combustion engine and that his answer was a good one. I read that book many times.

Another good British WW2 aviation book is To War in a Stringbag. It is the tale of flying a Fairey Swordfish. I wore that book out as well.

The story about how he killed his brother-in-law is truly one of the strangest things I've ever read. 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
3/9/18 7:03 p.m.

Squeezing it in between all the car magazines I read, I recently started reading "An Incredible Journey" ... "the lost world of the 30's circled by two men in one small car," by Max Reisch. This was originally written in German language shortly after the journey ended back in the mid-1930's. It was recently translated to English language. I am enjoying it. To think, for sombody to undertake a journey like that back in those days, with the roads and civilization as it was is just incredible. It is definitely an incredible journey.

An Incredible Journey

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
3/9/18 7:26 p.m.

Ready Player One. 

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
3/10/18 8:04 p.m.

Part of a back issue of Popular Mechanics in the ahem 'reading room's this am.. 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
3/10/18 9:49 p.m.

"Space Wars" and "Counterspace".     Poor man's Tom Clancy novels.   Interesting premise but needs help on the writing....

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/10/18 10:35 p.m.

I'm reading "The Stormlight Archive" by Brandon Sanderson.  It's a series of books War & Peace size.

Alternate reality and very well written.  While it's huge they keep the cast of characters down much better than "The Wheel of Time.

I'll finish up book 2 tonight and begin book 3 on Monday.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
3/11/18 8:36 a.m.

Tuesdays with Morrie. It’s a powerful book simply written.

BenB
BenB Reader
3/11/18 1:15 p.m.

With all of the talk among history nerds about the USS Lexington, I've broken out my old copy of The First Team, by John Lundstrum. After that, I'll probably have to go back and read Shattered Sword, again. Just finished Neil deGrasse Tyson's Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. 

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
3/20/18 11:52 a.m.

""The Spirit of crystal River ""

On April 19, 1861, President Lincoln proclaimed a blockade of Southern states that had seceded from the Union. The stage was set for men to use stealth to get wares to Cuba and supplies to the sons of the South. Down in Crystal River, Florida, people do all they can to stay alive, and the businessmen do all they can to make money.

Two businessmen need to transport goods by ship, Captain Jim Blackworth is called. He has a new scow called The Spirit, and he knows his way around the dangerous Florida coast. He claims that, at night, no one will know where he is; the Indians call it the "art of invisibility." But first, the captain needs a fourth crew member to succeed.

He finds what he's looking for in a young man named Red who's tough and self-sufficient. Soon, the captain and his crew set out on the dangerous adventures of the high sea while the Civil War rages back home. Can they avoid detection as they help Crystal River's good people survive, or will an ocean battle sink The Spirit and her dedicated crew?

stroker
stroker UltraDork
3/20/18 12:29 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Sort of a companion to the "listening to right now" thread, but without the "right" because, duh, obviously right now you're reading the forum.

I'm reading Steve Ulfelder's “Wolverine Bros. Freight & Storage” which is a classically noir-ish detective novel. I'm pretty much a literary omnivore, so when this came to the office I was more than happy to start chomping on it. I'm glad I did: it's good, by-the-numbers, hardboiled crime fiction, and this author is obviously one of us--as a regular SCCA competitor (with a race shop named Flatout Motorsports) his car chase descriptions are excellent, and he also does some good stuff with his settings, like a machine shop full of lovely WWII-era shipbuilding equipment. Thumbs up.

Margie

Thanks for the heads-up on that book.  Read it and I'm starting on the series. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
3/21/18 1:01 p.m.

Just delivered.smiley

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
3/21/18 1:36 p.m.

Pro wrestling stories

So not a book, but it's had my attention lately. Lots of road stories and behind the scenes from a lot of the wrestlers I grew up with, in their own words. Some great bits on Andre the giant, Yokozuna, undertaker

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
4/23/18 8:42 p.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/23/18 10:16 p.m.

Privateers by Ben Bova. It is good although slightly depressing in its dark look at peace at any price.

I just finished Moonrise and Moonwar , also written by Bova, they are top notch stories.

If anyone is interested in a trade of books let me know, I have many many great books

Braden

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
4/23/18 11:39 p.m.
carguy123 said:

I'm reading "The Stormlight Archive" by Brandon Sanderson.  It's a series of books War & Peace size.

Alternate reality and very well written.  While it's huge they keep the cast of characters down much better than "The Wheel of Time.

I'll finish up book 2 tonight and begin book 3 on Monday.

Great series. I have yet to find anything by Brandon Sanderson that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. Though I did make the same mistake with Stormlight as I did with Wheel of Time, by starting the series before it was even halfway complete. Waited a year for the last stormlight book, finished it in a week. Now what the hell am I supposed to do?

stroker
stroker UltraDork
4/24/18 7:59 a.m.

Just finished the Kevin Hearne Iron Druid series.    Somehow the final installment was disappointing but I'm probably not being fair.  Currently reading 12 Rules for Life which so far is excellent.  Finished the Ulfelder series in a matter of weeks.   They were excellent, too. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/24/18 8:39 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

Thanks for the callback to my original post--I'd wandered away from Ulfelder's books, and now that you've reminded me, I'll fetch up another one to read.

Margie

Scott Hatfield
Scott Hatfield Dork
4/24/18 11:59 a.m.

The Bible in 24 hours by Chuck Missler. Solid book that summarizes the story of the Bible.  

Gary
Gary SuperDork
8/19/18 7:43 p.m.

I just finished an American classic called "Drums along the Mohawk."  Spectacular! At my age, I thought all the great writers of our lifetime worked during the past fifty years. How could they not have? Isn't the Boomer generation the greatest and smartest? Umm, no. Walter Edmunds wrote this book in the thirties. I'm amazed at his intellect and writing acumen. And his writing seems contemporary. But I shouldn't be amazed, and certainly I have a new respect for the old masters.

Anyway, this book was a great read, and as a patriot, I appreciated the efforts of what a great historian and writer did more than eighty years ago. If you're an American patriot like I am, then I encourage you to read this book.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/19/18 8:18 p.m.

Not the most riveting.  Polemical but readable. smiley

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
8/19/18 8:23 p.m.

And

Just some light reading laugh

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/19/18 9:53 p.m.

Nothing too exciting, but it's well written and entertaining.

This is up next

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/19/18 10:04 p.m.
pilotbraden said:

Another good British WW2 aviation book is To War in a Stringbag. It is the tale of flying a Fairey Swordfish. I wore that book out as well.

If you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend "Wings on my Sleeve" by Eric Brown, preferably the later updated editions. I believe his record for the sheer number of different aircraft flown (400+) is still unmatched.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JTh5x9tGVgysKOC4VStmJ2zdaZxUV1xpzYiZhQiYTkhDY2s3L44ffVLYtaBof2kg