1 2 3 4
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/18/14 11:38 a.m.

I'm re-reading Le Carré 'The Spy who came in from the cold' Amazing writing. I got prompted down this path after reading a brilliant book called 'A spy among friends' by Ben Macintyre about Kim Philby. I am utterly appauled at the number of people over here who don't know who Kim Philby was. He made the Rosenbergs and Aldrich Ames look like small fry but because he wasn't an American no one knows of him here. Seriously, read the book it will blow your mind at how the old school spy world worked pre and during WWII into the cold war.

On line I'm reading old Motorsport magazine 'Lunch with' articles.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
12/18/14 11:38 a.m.

Philosophy for Life and Other Dangerous Situations by Jules Evans. Connecting Ancient Greek/Roman philosophers with practical implications rather academic discussion...

Gary
Gary HalfDork
12/18/14 11:41 a.m.

Not currently reading, but rather listening to The Lion audio book by Nelson DeMille with my wife. I've been an avid reader for a long time, and still read on airplanes and on vacation at the beach. I prefer old school books to eReaders, but a few months ago we discovered that listening to audio books downloaded on her Kindle is a nice way to spend an hour or so quality time together in the evening, as long as we both like the book. (If anybody peeked through the window at us they'd think we were practicing TM). A few years ago I read the "John Corey" series of novels by Nelson DeMille. She hadn't read anything by him and agreed to give him a try. So even though I'd previously read the series, I've enjoyed listening to them even more, even though I know the outcome. And now she's hooked on Nelson DeMille too. We've been through Plum Island, Lion's Game, Night Fall, Wildfire, and currently halfway through The Lion. Next up will be The Panther. The series is a pretty good combination of humor and suspense, and I highly recommend the series read in that order. And for something entirely different DeMille has also written a great 2-book series about society life mixed up with the mafia on Long Island called The Gold Coast and the sequel The Gate House. They're both excellent and we've listened to those on audio as well.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/18/14 11:46 a.m.

61 Hours: Lee Childs. It's one of the Jack Reacher novels. Light easy reading. Just finished the first Harry Potter book last week. So much imagination in that series. Too bad I don't have any others to read!

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/18/14 11:48 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: I heard good thinks about "Ready Player One". I've been kind of back and forth on whether or not to buy it...

If you can, request it from your local library instead. It was enjoyable, but re-read probability is low.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/18/14 11:57 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'm re-reading Le Carré 'The Spy who came in from the cold'

One of my all-time favorite books, and would be a perfect follow-up once I've finished Mr. Ulfelder's.

Margie

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
12/18/14 12:09 p.m.

The John Corey series are excellent reads. Have you tried any of John Sanford's Prey series? Or better yet the Virgil Flowers books?

Gary wrote: Not currently reading, but rather listening to The Lion audio book by Nelson DeMille with my wife. I've been an avid reader for a long time, and still read on airplanes and on vacation at the beach. I prefer old school books to eReaders, but a few months ago we discovered that listening to audio books downloaded on her Kindle is a nice way to spend an hour or so quality time together in the evening, as long as we both like the book. (If anybody peeked through the window at us they'd think we were practicing TM). A few years ago I read the "John Corey" series of novels by Nelson DeMille. She hadn't read anything by him and agreed to give him a try. So even though I'd previously read the series, I've enjoyed listening to them even more, even though I know the outcome. And now she's hooked on Nelson DeMille too. We've been through Plum Island, Lion's Game, Night Fall, Wildfire, and currently halfway through The Lion. Next up will be The Panther. The series is a pretty good combination of humor and suspense, and I highly recommend the series read in that order. And for something entirely different DeMille has also written a great 2-book series about society life mixed up with the mafia on Long Island called The Gold Coast and the sequel The Gate House. They're both excellent and we've listened to those on audio as well.
mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
12/18/14 12:14 p.m.

I just finished Unbroken, the Louis Zamperini story. It's a great story, but a little gritty during the POW phase. Highly recommended.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/18/14 12:19 p.m.

In reply to mthomson22:

I agree, it is a great book

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/18/14 12:27 p.m.
mthomson22 wrote: The John Corey series are excellent reads. Have you tried any of John Sanford's Prey series? Or better yet the Virgil Flowers books?

I've been working my way through Sandford's books. They're well written, and since their mostly based in Minnesota and/or the Twin Cities that makes it more interesting to me - I can visualize the locations and neighborhoods where the stories take place.

If you like crime/spy novels, Vince Flynn's books about Mitch Rapp are pretty good as well. He was another Minnesota author (he unfortunately passed away from cancer a few years ago.)

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
12/18/14 12:48 p.m.

The Water Is Wide, Pat Conroy.

I'd read it years ago but just finished painting the hallway and dining room trim at the Mary Fields School, where Conroy taught. It is rarely used now, so it was empty and quiet while I worked for a week (volunteered for the Baptist African Church that now owns it). Imagining it's past, with the noise of many children's shoes on the wooden floors, made for a rewarding time.

photo Schoolhousedaufuskie001-1.jpg

photo Schoolhousedaufuskie002.jpg

photo Schoolhousedaufuskie004.jpg

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/18/14 12:48 p.m.

REad alot of the Sanford books as well as the Patterson books. After a while they start to sound/feel the same. When I want some especially light reading, I grab a Clive Cussler book.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
12/18/14 1:14 p.m.

Not a big reader but Paddle Your Own Canoe, by Nick Offerman at the moment. Ron Swanson is my hero.

ggarrard
ggarrard Reader
12/18/14 1:14 p.m.

Thanks to Margie, I've purchased an ebook version of Freight & Storage. Just the kind of story I enjoy while sipping a beer under tha palm trees on the beach.

Cheers. :-)

Gary
Gary HalfDork
12/18/14 1:17 p.m.

Have read a lot of W.E.B. Griffin (aka William E. Butterworth) novels, particularly his earlier series "The Corps" about the Marines in WWII and "Brotherhood of War" about Army officers post-WWII up through Vietnam. He's a brilliant story teller and wordsmith and crafts superb sentences, paragraphs, and chapters. No one better in my opinion. Sometimes I'll reread a paragraph and marvel at how well he's crafted it. Sounds wierd to some people I'm sure, but I appreciate great writing. (Hate texting jargon). More recently he's collaborated with his son (William E. Butterworth IV) on some novels, and the work is no where near as good as his solo work.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
12/18/14 1:18 p.m.

UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand. Angelina Jolie just finished directing the movie.

Just finished Gone Girl. I have a strong opinion on it, but don't want to cause any spoilers. Apparently the movie was done really well. I'll find out when it comes out on DVD.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
12/18/14 4:15 p.m.

"Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road" by Neil Peart. I'm reading it more for his experiences than the prose. I'm at a point in my life where riding around for 4 months with no ambition but to see what I can see sounds pretty good.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
12/18/14 4:23 p.m.

Dance with dragons(game of thrones 5)

At some point I need to recharge my nook and finish my unabridged Les Mis(5k+ pages)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
12/18/14 5:51 p.m.

just finished Zen & The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance, after re-reading Shop Class As Soulcraft.

Now reading "Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters"

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
12/18/14 7:47 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Not a big reader but Paddle Your Own Canoe, by Nick Offerman at the moment. Ron Swanson is my hero.

To jerry and mtn, how is paddle your own canoe? Is it worth buying? Nick Offerman is kind of my hero as well. Have you seen the youtube video tour of his wood working shop? It was great

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/18/14 7:55 p.m.

Just finished Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel

Just started re-reading The Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway

Have The Pale King - David Foster Wallace waiting in the queue.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/18/14 8:00 p.m.
JoeTR6 wrote: "Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road" by Neil Peart. I'm reading it more for his experiences than the prose. I'm at a point in my life where riding around for 4 months with no ambition but to see what I can see sounds pretty good.

I read that a few weeks ago. I can't say I loved the way he writes (or edits, all those long letters just pasted in there made me nuts) but in the end it did a fine job of relating his journey and reignighting a wander-lust spark in me so... a worthwhile read. Especially if you own a bike ;)

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
12/18/14 8:13 p.m.

Jupiter's Travels.

Around the world on a Triumph Tiger in the '70s.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/18/14 8:16 p.m.

Dazed But Not Confused, by Kevin Callan.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/18/14 8:23 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote:
Jerry wrote: Not a big reader but Paddle Your Own Canoe, by Nick Offerman at the moment. Ron Swanson is my hero.
To jerry and mtn, how is paddle your own canoe? Is it worth buying? Nick Offerman is kind of my hero as well. Have you seen the youtube video tour of his wood working shop? It was great

I'm really enjoying it. Not particularly well written, but entertaining enough. For the most part, I'm on board with his philosophies. I bought it, and am giving it to my brother, but if I didn't plan on that I would have got it from the library.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qOpgkgsslq3HQ6YkI9CeOcQKkkPY4ygQliIISZKLO5fZbTgixvGjQL9CEKKkVAnJ