noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
7/21/20 4:18 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

The Dark Tower series.

Although, to be fair, he warns you about it. 

I was actually angry when I finished that series.  Following it for so long, book by book. *sigh*

Was the movie any good?

Scott

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
7/21/20 5:55 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Hell if I know.  I refused to watch it based on numerous things I read about it during filming

Got a 16% on rotten tomatoes https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_tower_2017

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/21/20 7:29 p.m.

Meh, the end of Under The Dome didn't bother me.  Arbitrary construct is arbitrary and it was just a plot device anyway.

11/23/63, on the other hand, seriously pissed me off.  All that struggle, all that length, all that rooting for the good guy to pull off the impossible, and then PHHBBBBBBBBBBBBBBT.  Nothing.  No payoff.  King totally cops out on making any explanation or justification for why everything is the way it ends up.  The only point in reading the damn book at all was to see what might have been different and why.  That's what speculative fiction IS.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/21/20 7:31 p.m.
noddaz said:
Mr_Asa said:

The Dark Tower series.

I was actually angry when I finished that series.  Following it for so long, book by book. *sigh*

Was the movie any good?

Apparently not.  DW put it on the DVR.  She watched about 15 minutes of it and deleted it.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/21/20 11:51 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I loved the Codex Alera books and can't wait for the next in the Cinder Spires.  What didn't you like about them?

The first Alera book wasn't terrible but I thought it suffered from the one thing I hate about fantasy books.....too many characters that the author falls in love with. So you basically have 9 main storylines and I cared about 2 of them. Terry Goodkind is also guilty of this.

Cinder Spires just.....doesn't grab me. I'll end up giving it another shot someday though

7/21/20 11:57 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

In reply to NickD :

No kidding. I was so disgusted with the ending of "Under the Dome" that I nearly swore off King entirely. I did read 11/22/63 and mostly enjoyed it, but I'm never going to trust him again.

11/22/63 was a good book but King should have shot for a happy ending IMO

The TV series made from it is terrible though

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
7/22/20 7:57 a.m.

Fair enough complaint.  I would think that Cinder Spires is leaning towards doing that as well.

Maybe wait till the second CS book comes out so you can see if the series has moved into something that you'd like?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/22/20 8:07 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
Marjorie Suddard said:

No kidding. I was so disgusted with the ending of "Under the Dome" that I nearly swore off King entirely. I did read 11/22/63 and mostly enjoyed it, but I'm never going to trust him again.

11/22/63 was a good book but King should have shot for a happy ending IMO

The TV series made from it is terrible though

It is a nearly universal truth - with only one or two exceptions - that Stephen King just does not translate to the screen for some reason.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
7/22/20 8:22 a.m.

Read The Demon in the Teahouse by Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler last night. The first book was one of the kids school books and they insisted I read it. This is book 2 and it was excellent.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
7/22/20 8:26 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Limitations on the movie length means too much gets cut, combine that with directors that aren't invested in the books and there you go.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
7/22/20 8:31 a.m.

Well, I'm in the opposite camp on King.  I don't like his horror, but the Dark Tower series and 11/22/63 are some of my favorites, having read both of them multiple times.  I think it's because I enjoy the detail and just seem to get lost and escape in the stories.

The Dark Tower movie is horrible.  If you don't know the books, it's confusing.  If you have read the books, it's so far off the storyline, you'll just walk away frustrated.

-Rob

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/22/20 8:33 a.m.
Duke said:
noddaz said:
Mr_Asa said:

The Dark Tower series.

Was the movie any good?

Apparently not.  DW put it on the DVR.  She watched about 15 minutes of it and deleted it.

I went to see it with my friends. I hadn't read the books. I fell asleep part way through. My friend, who had read the books and stayed awake the whole time, told me that I made the better choice.

7/22/20 1:31 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Fair enough complaint.  I would think that Cinder Spires is leaning towards doing that as well.

Maybe wait till the second CS book comes out so you can see if the series has moved into something that you'd like?

It's not a bad idea.

I know that Butcher was going for an Epic Fantasy feel with Alera and a lot do have the 9 plotlines but.....

Robert Jordan is another that did that with his Wheel Of Time books. There were entire books that wouldn't have some if the characters in it or in it barely at all. It absolutely kills the progress when you need 3 books to go forward a week. His last few books were almost unreadable, even before they were taken over after his death.

I come across as someone who doesn't like fantasy but my favorite book is fantasy ( Glory Road by Heinlein) and there's dozens of series I like a lot. Simon R Green has a great series, Terry Brooks has a couple and so does Piers Anthony for some examples

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/22/20 1:32 p.m.

Simon R Green did the Nightside series, one of my favorite series of all time

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
7/22/20 1:47 p.m.

Looking through my stack of recently-read stuff next to my chair, Glen Cook's Garret for Hire is good fantasy.  A human PI in a fully fantasy world

Domino Finn's Black Magic Outlaw was fun to read as a Florida boy, set in Miami.  About a guy that comes back from the dead and doesn't realize that he's been dead for the past ___ years

Charls Stross' Laundry Files is good for those that like the Dresden Files.  Combines hate for bureacracy, magic, and dry British humor.

Stephen Blackmoore's Eric Carter series was interesting, most people don't do necromancy themed heroes

In reply to RevRico :

Mr Green is great for something where you want to zone out while you read, but damn do his books get formulaic in the long run.  I found the same thing with Richard Kadrey and the Sandman Slim series.  Still love to read them periodically though, but I stopped buying them when they came out.

7/22/20 2:29 p.m.
RevRico said:

Simon R Green did the Nightside series, one of my favorite series of all time

That's the one i really like too

7/22/20 2:30 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Hmm, I'm gonna look into a few of those

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
7/23/20 9:59 p.m.

Amazon recommended this for me.  I generally like less of a real-world fiction than this sounds, but the reviews look to be good

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/?ASIN=B07WCYQZ4Y

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/24/20 8:07 p.m.

I have been reading the history of United States Naval operations in World War II. It is a 15 volume set written by Samuel Eliot morison. I have read the battle of the Atlantic September 1939 to May of 1943 volume one. I have read operations in North African Waters October 1942 through June 1943 volume two. I have read the Rising Sun at the Pacific 1931 through April 1942 volume three. I have ordered the next three volumes that have several of the later volumes. The Prelude to war have proved very interesting things that I'd never been taught or read and the African operation was absolutely amazing I had no idea we bought so bitterly with the French in World War II. Well I'm waiting for my next volume to show up I am reading a book called the ship of Theseus supposedly written by v. M. Straka. I picked it up at a local used book shop recently it appears to be an old book written in 1949 and appears to be a library book and 2 people have written notes on every page. It came in a box I decided to look at the box today before I started reading the book was written in 2013 and the notes are a separate story they're not notes that two people have put into this book the book is actually written by Doug Dorst. I'm rather confused I feel as though I was suckered but I bought it. Several photos

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/24/20 8:08 p.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/24/20 8:12 p.m.

It is also stuffed full of letters post guards telegrams Maps that appear could have been left there by the two people making notes.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
7/24/20 8:23 p.m.

The notes look like they might be as entertaining as the book

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/24/20 8:47 p.m.

Just finished this one, great book

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/24/20 8:48 p.m.

Which lead me into this one now:

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
7/24/20 9:02 p.m.

Data Mining Techniques by Leo Breiman (Ph.D. Mathematics - Berkley).

It's so prescriptive that I can suck everything out of it while sucking down wine (i.e. my time, not company time where drinking is frowned upon).

I love material like this...statistics, by definition, is fraught with uncertainty (that's what the science of statistics is about Um' Kay') but I find it highly satisfying when a distinguished individual lays out a clear, unambiguous prescription for me to follow.

As those great philosophers from the 80's that had a $hity little garage band called Rush cheeky said in one of there lyrics "to not make a choice is to still make make a choice".

Exactly, the call will be made and it will be made with less than complete knowledge...thank you Leo for helping me be able to say "I'm not sure I'm right but my guess is based on the best science available". 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IqheWySClDiyDpu4K1n4794LynJSRWZ0bxyaFGVguAhwWQL6B76kvM44WNVfbnRh