JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
12/18/14 8:41 p.m.

'The Unknown Iacocca' by Peter Wyden.

Just finished 'The Kennedy Men 1901-1963' by Laurence Leamer

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
12/18/14 8:49 p.m.

Currently reading "The Opening Kickoff", all about the very early days of college football in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

I read "Unbroken" earlier this year, and it was great. Gonna see the movie for sure when it comes out. For a lighter read, I also enjoyed "Bond on Bond" by Roger Moore.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
12/18/14 8:59 p.m.
mtn wrote:
nepa03focus wrote:
Jerry wrote: Not a big reader but Paddle Your Own Canoe, by Nick Offerman at the moment. Ron Swanson is my hero.
To jerry and mtn, how is paddle your own canoe? Is it worth buying? Nick Offerman is kind of my hero as well. Have you seen the youtube video tour of his wood working shop? It was great
I'm really enjoying it. Not particularly well written, but entertaining enough. For the most part, I'm on board with his philosophies. I bought it, and am giving it to my brother, but if I didn't plan on that I would have got it from the library.

Thanks! I'll problly just get it at the library, I'm not big into buying books.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
12/19/14 8:29 a.m.

Unfair Advantage....again.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/19/14 10:26 a.m.
nepa03focus wrote:
mtn wrote:
nepa03focus wrote:
Jerry wrote: Not a big reader but Paddle Your Own Canoe, by Nick Offerman at the moment. Ron Swanson is my hero.
To jerry and mtn, how is paddle your own canoe? Is it worth buying? Nick Offerman is kind of my hero as well. Have you seen the youtube video tour of his wood working shop? It was great
I'm really enjoying it. Not particularly well written, but entertaining enough. For the most part, I'm on board with his philosophies. I bought it, and am giving it to my brother, but if I didn't plan on that I would have got it from the library.
Thanks! I'll problly just get it at the library, I'm not big into buying books.

I'm on board with his philosophies for the most part also. But the book is very preachy.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
12/19/14 10:43 a.m.

Been on a big True Crime kick & currently wrapping up Underboss by Peter Maas. About Sammy "The Bull" Gravano. It's not really pieced together very well though.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/19/14 11:38 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'm re-reading Le Carré 'The Spy who came in from the cold' Amazing writing. I got prompted down this path after reading a brilliant book called 'A spy among friends' by Ben Macintyre about Kim Philby. I am utterly appauled at the number of people over here who don't know who Kim Philby was. He made the Rosenbergs and Aldrich Ames look like small fry but because he wasn't an American no one knows of him here. Seriously, read the book it will blow your mind at how the old school spy world worked pre and during WWII into the cold war. On line I'm reading old Motorsport magazine 'Lunch with' articles.

I have 'Mask of Treachery' which is yet another book on the Philby affair. It was fascinating for its look into the British public school system and how it brought him together with Anthony Blunt. For those not familiar, Blunt was the Queen's art guy and also a Soviet spy. He and Philby covered each other's asses along with others who had been recruited in the early days.

I finally finished 'Age of the Atheists', man that was a tough slog. For some reason Watson has a real hangup on a perceived link between poets, poetry and atheism. He keeps going back to it over and over again, sort of like picking a scab.

I recently read '11/22/1963' by Stephen King, great book. I never did finish 'The Two Towers', I'm going to say that wasn't exactly King's greatest work.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
12/19/14 12:16 p.m.

I need suggestions. As mentioned above, i'm only a casual reader, when traveling. I use the kindle app exclusively. I've enjoyed all the game of thrones books, I really like Clancy, but have read everything current. Read the hunger games series and an enjoyed it well enough. I liked the Devinchi code and other Dan Brown books.

Suggest me an author.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
12/19/14 12:19 p.m.

The book I've been reading, although usually only when I am traveling, is "All The Presidents' Bankers" by Nomi Prins.

Not my favorite book, or I would've finished it a month ago.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
12/19/14 7:19 p.m.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill SuperDork
1/16/15 6:55 p.m.

Just picked up "Ready Player One" and "The Martian" from the library.

I get the feeling it's not going to be a very productive weekend...

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/16/15 7:15 p.m.
Gary wrote: Have read a lot of W.E.B. Griffin (aka William E. Butterworth) novels, particularly his earlier series "The Corps" about the Marines in WWII and "Brotherhood of War" about Army officers post-WWII up through Vietnam. He's a brilliant story teller and wordsmith and crafts superb sentences, paragraphs, and chapters. No one better in my opinion. Sometimes I'll reread a paragraph and marvel at how well he's crafted it. Sounds wierd to some people I'm sure, but I appreciate great writing. (Hate texting jargon). More recently he's collaborated with his son (William E. Butterworth IV) on some novels, and the work is no where near as good as his solo work.

I've just finished re-reading the series "The Corps" and am half way through re-reading "The Brotherhood Of War" ….

I really wish he would re-visit these two series and extend them … the Corps stops before the Korean War actually ends … or just as it ends .. the Marines have lots of history beyond Korea

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill SuperDork
1/16/15 7:38 p.m.

If someone is looking for a great modern military documentary might I suggest "Generation Kill"

It's bloody awesome and very much relates to my experiences in the military (not the Marine Recon part, but the "how we behaved" part)

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
1/16/15 7:49 p.m.

I just finished reading The Hunt for Red October. That was good. A little slow if you aren't interested in Cold War history or submarine warfare.

eastpark
eastpark Reader
1/16/15 7:58 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen44: If you liked that you should read Red Storm Rising, one of my favourite Clancy novels.

I just finished the John Cleese autobiography "So Anyway". I thought it was very good.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/16/15 7:59 p.m.

Re reading justice in winter by e. Garrett perry. Good read the last time, better this time.

Just finished a neil stephenson kick. I think i have every book he's ever written.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
1/16/15 8:29 p.m.

Reading three concurrently;

"Murder Most Irish", a bunch of short stories by Irish authors

"Timberframe, The Art and Craft of the Post Beam Home"

"Dublin Foundation", by Edward Rutherford, historical fiction from pre-Christian Dublin to the Reformation

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
1/16/15 8:31 p.m.

"The Marble Faun" by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/16/15 8:55 p.m.

I'm on a Hemingway kick lately... just started re-reading The Sun Also Rises.

My MIL bought me some sort of Steve Jobs bio for xmas so I'll give that read next.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/16/15 9:02 p.m.

Don Casey's "sailboat electrics simplified" I am quite amazed at how marine electrics differ from automotive, even though they are very similar

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/16/15 9:22 p.m.

I am reading the Fall of Hyperion. It is the sequel to Hyperion, a classic sci-fi novel. I recommend at least the first book to anyone who enjoys a good story that stand some creative writing. The sequel is more mainstream. I am also reading Starshine by G.S. Jennsen. Not very deep but REALLY good reviews on Amazon.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/16/15 9:25 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Re reading justice in winter by e. Garrett perry. Good read the last time, better this time. Just finished a neil stephenson kick. I think i have every book he's ever written.

Loved snow crash and have been meaning to read some of his other stuff.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
1/16/15 9:26 p.m.

Finished The Fall by Jay Allan last night, The Synchronicity War by Dietmar Arthur Wehr a few days before that, and Undercurrents by Robert Buettner a week or so ago. I love having a few weeks off of school.

The Fall was pretty much what I expected from Jay Allan after the other 8 books. It wasn't life changing but the series was a fun read albeit sort of a predictable ending.

Undercurrents is the second book of the sequel series to the Orphanage series of books. Again fun to read but nothing that'll change your life.

The Synchronicity War is a bit more interesting if you like the interstellar sci-fi books. Much of the book is centers around developing and building a combat fleet (though they do use a bit of a cop out to build it) with virtually no experience to face a real and immediate threat. The book isn't real big on the physics aspects of the development like an Ian Douglas (William H. Keith) book but it's interesting to see how wildly varied the theories of how space combat will be conducted are.

Leviathan Wakes by S.A. Corey is next up.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill SuperDork
1/16/15 9:41 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I'm on a Hemingway kick lately... just started re-reading The Sun Also Rises.

Oh man. I read "The Old Man and The Sea" after my wife complained endlessly about having to read it in highschool and I was hooked. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" was absolutely epic. Had I not got distracted by a collection of Isaac Asimov's short stories I'd be well in to "A Farewell to Arms" by now.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
1/17/15 6:15 a.m.

Just Finished insane city by Dave Barry. Started on Icon by Fredrick Forsyth. As good as I remembered it so far. All of Forsyths books are pretty good and lots have been made movies.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5gIUi5edWgYNaBMGR8sPr7h5ta1mpqtI5ml8LvEEA5ywQFbsWvWRQKF6jiq1j9qL