irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/9/21 8:59 p.m.

A River Runs Through It, but Norman Maclean. It's the short book the very excellent movie by the same name was based on. 

Also recently finished re-reading the entire Game of Thrones series. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/10/21 7:08 a.m.

Bad Monkey,  another Carl Haiisen job.  Easy read, no rooting through the memory references from 8 chapters ago; relaxing.

Also Saturn Run, (sciFi) CalTech telescope picks up an anomaly moving through space and realize it's slowing down, then it disappears in the rings of Saturn.  Chinese are building a ship to fly to Mars so the US panics one together -  -  the race is on.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/10/21 8:02 a.m.

Two Feet To Tidewater by Robert C Jones about the 2' gauge Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railroad in Maine.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/11/21 9:02 a.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Also recently finished re-reading the entire Game of Thrones series. 

Well, except for the last book that he still hasn't written, after killing or stranding his main characters all over Westeros, and after letting the show diverge from the unfinished book series.

 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/11/21 9:35 a.m.
Duke said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Also recently finished re-reading the entire Game of Thrones series. 

Well, except for the last book that he still hasn't written, after killing or stranding his main characters all over Westeros, and after letting the show diverge from the unfinished book series.

I'd count on that one going unfinished. I read somewhere that his editor says that he hasn't submitted a page in over six years. Meanwhile, he's off buying and reviving the Santa Fe Southern Railroad.

stroker
stroker UberDork
10/20/21 2:56 p.m.
914Driver said:

Also Saturn Run, (sciFi) CalTech telescope picks up an anomaly moving through space and realize it's slowing down, then it disappears in the rings of Saturn.  Chinese are building a ship to fly to Mars so the US panics one together -  -  the race is on.

Read it in about three days--the first half rivals "Project Hail Mary" in quality.  I thought the second half didn't quite live up to the buildup but overall I liked it.

 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/20/21 3:03 p.m.
stroker said:
914Driver said:

Also Saturn Run, (sciFi) CalTech telescope picks up an anomaly moving through space and realize it's slowing down, then it disappears in the rings of Saturn.  Chinese are building a ship to fly to Mars so the US panics one together -  -  the race is on.

Read it in about three days--the first half rivals "Project Hail Mary" in quality.  I thought the second half didn't quite live up to the buildup but overall I liked it.

You know, I think I read that too, but I cannot remember when.  I do remember enjoying it pretty well.

 

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/28/21 4:56 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Honestly, read anything he's written.

I have to ask, have you read Good Omens?

 

I have not, but it looks interesting.  Thanks!

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/28/21 5:07 a.m.

Back on the Wheel of Time.  "Path of Daggers"

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/WoT08_ThePathOfDaggers.jpg

So far it's starting out WAY better than the last in the series.  Hopefully it keeps up.

There's a new trailer out for the series as well!

 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/10/21 5:38 p.m.

The autumn queen protocol by Patrick ashe. 

I actually went to college and hung out with the author. Pretty good so far! Zombie/post apocalypse kinda book. .

stroker
stroker UberDork
11/10/21 9:07 p.m.
stroker
stroker UberDork
11/10/21 9:16 p.m.

I just started "The Hunter Gatherer's Guide to the 21st Century" by Weinstein and Heying.  It's much more readable and not nearly as academic as I'd feared.  It looks like it'll be well worth the read. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/10/21 10:29 p.m.

Brutal Kunnin by Mike Brooks, a light and surprisingly entertaining Warhammer 40K novel mostly written from the view of an ork.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/11/21 6:30 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

The autumn queen protocol by Patrick ashe. 

I actually went to college and hung out with the author. Pretty good so far! Zombie/post apocalypse kinda book. .

Finished it today. Great read. Couldn't put it down. For the $4 on my kindle, it was worth more. 

Gary
Gary UltraDork
11/26/21 12:16 p.m.


Non-fiction

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
11/26/21 12:49 p.m.

I was reading the Safehold series by David Weber.  And I just finished book 10.

There is no book 11 yet. sad

Somehow I am glad I only started on book 5.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
11/26/21 1:11 p.m.

Watching Foundation and going "wtf?" has me rereading the book...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/26/21 5:25 p.m.

Just finished The Secret Commonwealth, which is Book II of The Book Of Dust, which is Phillip Pullman's second trilogy in the His Dark Materials series. These are all in follow up to The Golden Compass.  It's an interesting premise, he's an interesting writer, and it's a well put together multiverse.

Currently about 80 pages into Andy Weir's Project Hail Mary.  Very good so far.

Plus I hear Neal Stephenson has a new book out. I wasn't overly impressed with Fall (Dodge In Hell)

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/26/21 6:32 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

I really enjoyed it. The author did a few more int than same vein and I'll do it. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/26/21 6:37 p.m.

We die alone.   I loved this book.  Full of weird vignettes of life in occupied Norway as well as the toughest son of a bitch I've ever read about.  Survive for a week in an ice cave in winter. In Norway?  Sure. 
 

cut off our own toes.   Sure. 
 

Cross the North Sea in a small fishing boat. Sure. 

not the wwii thriller I thought it would be but wow  a good one 


 

 

We Die Alone: A WWII Epic Of Escape And Endurance

 

We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJDA2RC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_KX89NNAXT451V6NQASK3

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
12/6/21 10:46 a.m.
Gary said:


Non-fiction

I saw this at the Holocaust Museum in DC and I was intrigued. Ultimately bought something different, but found this on Amazon to, maybe, buy later - what are your thoughts on it?

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
12/6/21 10:46 a.m.
Gary said:


Non-fiction

I saw this at the Holocaust Museum in DC and I was intrigued. Ultimately bought something different, but found this on Amazon to, maybe, buy later - what are your thoughts on it?

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
12/6/21 10:46 a.m.
Gary said:


Non-fiction

I saw this at the Holocaust Museum in DC and I was intrigued. Ultimately bought something different, but found this on Amazon to, maybe, buy later - what are your thoughts on it?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/6/21 12:19 p.m.

Just finished Weir's Project Hail Mary.

Solidly good - probably as good as The Martian, but not necessarily better.  It is better than Artemis, which I enjoyed, but which left me feeling unimpressed.  I read about the last third of Hail Mary yesterday - it becomes a page-turner in the second half.

Hopefully I will be moving on to Neal Stephenson's SEVENEVES - DW is supposed to be making a library run today.

 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
12/6/21 3:17 p.m.
Gary said:


Non-fiction

I saw this at the Holocaust Museum in DC and I was intrigued. Ultimately bought something different, but found this on Amazon to, maybe, buy later - what are your thoughts on it?

Our Preferred Partners
Pbn5aXgMIU7brjEWf6cKoxZByZRQ27XmkavlXH1QFFeplHxAE8D2X0THdNCPfO1e