codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/18/23 9:45 a.m.
Frank86 said:

Right now I'm reading a book called Rich Dad, Poor Dad. This book tells the story of a boy who has two fathers, one is rich, it's his friend's father, and the other father is his own father who is obsessed with his studies, but he has no money. In my opinion, this is a great book, I recommend everyone to read it.

Just don't believe any of the financial advice it gives you. :)

Gary
Gary UberDork
1/22/23 3:07 p.m.

I saw the '64 Tempest in its first Trans-Am race at Lime Rock in May, 1971. Tullius drove. I saw it again last Labor Day Weekend at Lime Rock in the Historic Trans-Am group. Great story on how it came to be back in 1970-71.

My pic from Lime Rock:

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/22/23 3:19 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

I just ordered this on Thriftbooks fo $15. They have more if anybody else is interested.

Gary
Gary UberDork
1/22/23 7:14 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Good story. Written for car enthusiasts and "lay persons" alike. My only criticism is that the author didn't include period pics, which would have been great reference. (A few very minor errors, but nothing to complain about. Most people wouldn't even catch them).

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/22/23 7:27 p.m.

Follow up to Chernow's biography of Ulysses Grant. It's a long book and I couldn't make it through the postwar slog. It's just such a depressing moment in history. If everyone had worked together towards a better future the seemingly intractable issues that we have with race could have been greatly lessened.  But no. 

Gary
Gary UberDork
1/28/23 10:24 a.m.

grafmiata
grafmiata UltraDork
2/5/23 10:24 p.m.

Finally getting around to starting this.  Got it a couple months ago when I was helping a friend of mine clear out the shop of his friend and long-time Mazda racer who had passed.  We were getting ready to leave with the last load when his widow came up and handed it to me.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
2/5/23 11:41 p.m.

Has anyone read 75th Anniversary of Porsche? I am thinking of purchasing it and would like to know if it is worth the $60 for it?

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
2/6/23 11:43 a.m.

Profiles in Ignorance by Borowitz.  I didn't learn anything new from the book, but it reinforced some of my feelings about certain "leaders". Any comment on this book would probably make this post political. 

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
2/9/23 9:43 a.m.

Current read: Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield. I haven't read any of her (many) other works.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
2/9/23 10:57 a.m.

Just finished the first two "Elvis Cole" mysteries by Robert Crais.  A satisfactory substitute for Travis McGee, methinks.

Gary
Gary UberDork
2/12/23 3:15 p.m.

This bit of history happened when I was fifteen and definitely wasn't paying attention to what was going on around the world. But I do remember names like Lumumba, Kasavubu and Tshombe coming out of the TV during the nightly news. More recently I ran into an old acquaintance at a friend's house and this topic came up. After he got out of the Navy in the early sixties he signed on as a contractor for "one of our Intelligence agencies" that had a presence in Africa. He spent time there with them and mentioned this book if I was interested in learning more. Long out of print, I was able to find a decent used copy on Amazon. Very interesting although a bit intense.

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
2/13/23 12:18 p.m.

The Racer by Hans Ruesch published in 1953.  The story of a Grand Prix driver after WWII.  A movie was made of it in the mid-fifties starring Kirk Douglas.   Supposedly it was based on the life of Rudolph Carracciola.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
2/20/23 9:26 a.m.
jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
2/20/23 10:40 a.m.

Currently reading the H.G. Wells collection, almost finished with The Time Machine.  

Needed to change it up from The Outpost (Jake Tapper).

Prior to that was How to Build a Race Car (Adrian Newey) and The Martian Chronicles (Ray Bradbury).  

I am also partly through The Children of La Hille (Walter Reed), but my MO with Holocaust books is to read them along with a care-free kind of book.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/20/23 11:09 a.m.

I'm almost done with Retail Gangster, the story of Crazy Eddie he was a huge electronics dealer in NY.  The story has all kinds of crazy, like a mob story without all the killing. The E36 M3 he almost got away with is amazing.  

https://www.amazon.com/Retail-Gangster-Insane-Real-Life-Story/dp/0306924552

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/20/23 3:49 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I saw the Mel book in our library.  It's on my 'someday' list.

Currently reading Abaddon's Gate - #3 in the Expanse series.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
2/20/23 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I have about two more days with Mel, so I ordered that book, based on your endorsement. I've always been intrigued by the Crazy Eddie story. How could you not be, if you grew up in the Tri-State area in the 70s and 80s?

When I was in college, there was sophomore finance major who lived across the hall from me. He took out a supplemental student loan and immediately  used all of it to buy Crazy Eddie stock... moments before Eddie Antar took off for Israel. 

I remember writing on the bathroom stall in our dorm, just above the toilet paper... "Crazy Eddie shares: Take one, they're free!"

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/20/23 4:57 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

When they get into the games they played to go public then keep pumping up the stock prices the book gets unbelievably crazy. How they pulled it off with big brokerages watching was kinda impressive. 

Gary
Gary UberDork
2/20/23 7:51 p.m.

After finishing 111 Days in Stanleyville I needed something a bit lighter and preferably fiction. I’m a huge Nelson DeMille fan and I’ve read most of his work. I particularly like his series with the John Corey character, and his latest John Corey novel was recently released. I’ve read all the previous ones, and this is exactly what I needed.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
2/21/23 2:22 p.m.

Just started "Aftermath" by Harald Jahner, about Germany in the decade following the end of WWII.  If you know anyone who needs a wake-up on how good we have things, this book should do it...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/14/23 9:34 a.m.

Morning and Evening by Ken Follett.  Historical fiction that takes place in 997 England and Normandy.  Well written enough to keep me there so far.  =~ )

Gary
Gary UberDork
3/14/23 6:34 p.m.

Most folks here are probably aware of Magnus Walker. I wasn’t, until 2016. I first saw this guy at the annual car show at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena in October, 2016. I had no idea who he was, but he was a very popular person there. Once you see him, you don’t forget his appearance. A short time later I saw an article on him in Wired magazine and realized just who that guy l saw at ACCD really was. Impressive! This book is a great memoir that he wrote a few years ago.

Go with Your Gut - Magnus Walker - TEDxUCLA

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/14/23 7:10 p.m.

RX mentioned Black Swan theory in another thread, made me think it's time to go through this again 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
3/14/23 10:41 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

https://www.amazon.com/All-About-Me-Remarkable-Business/dp/059315911X

I'm reading this too. Enjoying it so far.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r1Ui1klWZtV0FgTtvpyg35YFSEuBbJKO8JK4TfBaCDENJfMQMfrDDZsp5gGsH51O