3 4 5 6
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
6/5/22 7:15 p.m.

I wish I knew the girls were looking to get laid as much as the guys were. It's disappointing to learn that afterwards :)

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/5/22 7:22 p.m.

You are an average of the 5 people you hang around with the most.

My life started getting a lot better when I divorced a bunch of my "friends" from long ago.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
6/5/22 7:32 p.m.

I wish I knew that depression was a real thing and that it's treatable.

Part of me wishes I knew that the hot blonde that lived down the street liked me.  The rest of me is thrilled with the woman that I've been married to for 32 years this coming Wednesday and wouldn't change a thing relationship wise.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/6/22 6:44 p.m.

In reply to SpeedwayFan :

Hey, just checking in, was thinking about this thread on the drive home from work todady.  Hope Speedway is  doing alright and maybe taken something positive from this thread.  Nice seeing folks here pitch in trying to be helpful.

Folgers
Folgers Reader
6/6/22 7:09 p.m.

It all feels the same in the dark. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/7/22 9:45 a.m.

Trust your instinct - and listen to it. It somehow knows which direction you should go.

Be open to opportunities. Sometimes those lead to experiences of a lifetime.

Always be on the edge of comfort. When you're too comfortable, you're not growing. When you're too uncomfortable, you're not growing.

Make your own road. Following others does not lead to success and certainly not a life that you'll find rewarding.

Enjoy your time with your favorite people. Those times won't last - nor will the bad ones - so savor them. Hopefully, later on in your life, you can make great memories for others as those people did for you when you were younger.

SpeedwayFan
SpeedwayFan New Reader
6/7/22 9:47 a.m.

Something that I LEARNED this year that I wish I knew at the start of the year: 2022 won't be like 2021 for Kyle Larson

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/7/22 10:09 a.m.

In reply to SpeedwayFan :

Welcome back. How's the past couple days gone?

SpeedwayFan
SpeedwayFan New Reader
6/7/22 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/7/22 10:12 a.m.

Doing something poorly and enthusiastically is just as satisfying (maybe more) as doing it well.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/7/22 11:18 a.m.
Mndsm said:
Duke said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That's because at least I don't have the slightest berking clue what it is.

Don't feel bad, most dudes don't, and even more think it's a myth. 

Maybe I'm just having trouble parsing the image, but it looks like a giant scoop of radioactive strawberry ice cream in the middle of a forest.  With maybe the Flying Nun in front of it?

So, yeah, I guess I'm missing something here.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/7/22 11:24 a.m.

It's funny... "Wear Sunscreen" came out back in 1997 and I was 27.  It seemed so obvious to me then... and in a way it still does... Yet 25 years later, I'm not sure I've really taken any of that advice to heart.

I almost never wear sunscreen. 

In some ways, I am a product of my era.  I wanted to design cars. I thought engineers designed cars, so I geared my HS education towards that goal. Then I get to engineering school only to find out engineers do NOT design cars. Designers design cars, and that is an entirely different educational path. Sure engineers are involved, but generally not in the same way.  I just knew I didn't want to be an electrical engineer.

I've worked as an electrical engineer for 25 years now...

I enjoyed writing, so I decided to go to journalism school and while I did OK there, I also learned journalism in an all-consuming job and I have too many varied interests to dedicate 100% of my life towards anything.  I still ended up as a berking electrical engineer.

If your high school has a stage crew program, join it.  Definitely a good group for misfits and the socially awkward. It definitely helped me a lot with the latter. 

Otherwise, I'm not really sure... I can imagine high school for me in the mid/late 80's was quite a bit different than what kids have to deal with now. I think I had it easier back then as I feel like my generation (Gen X) was sort of the "last of the innocence" where we could often do stupid crap with minimal consequences.

Would I have liked to know then what I know now? Sure. Decisions always seem easier with hindsight, but those aren't the cards you're dealt. You just have to do the best you can with what you know.  I'd like to think I'd make better decisions, but I really don't know.  I tend to over-think everything to the Nth degree and still make poor decisions.

Try to enjoy your youth and just being a kid.  You have the rest of the your life to "grow up".  Delay that for as long as you can. Being a grown up kinda sucks.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
6/7/22 11:41 a.m.
Duke said:
Mndsm said:
Duke said:

Maybe I'm just having trouble parsing the image, but it looks like a giant scoop of radioactive strawberry ice cream in the middle of a forest.  With maybe the Flying Nun in front of it?

female anatomy

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/7/22 11:55 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

If your high school has a stage crew program, join it.  Definitely a good group for misfits and the socially awkward. It definitely helped me a lot with the latter. 

Doing theater is one of the best things you can do to help prepare yourself for life. It takes all types, and it takes them all working together. The theater department is one of the few places at a highschool where a group of people are actually working together to legitimately make something happen.

Nice little article on that.

Try to enjoy your youth and just being a kid.  You have the rest of the your life to "grow up".  Delay that for as long as you can. Being a grown up kinda sucks.

I'm still waiting to grow up. I'm 40 and wondering when that will happen. I've realized that no one knows what they're doing, and everyone is faking it.

The only real critical thing to being an adult is taking responsibility for yourself and what you do. That comes with choice, not age. Having the responsibility to take care of myself, I would not look forward to someone else having to take care of me.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/7/22 12:24 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:
Duke said:
Mndsm said:
Duke said:

female anatomy

I get that it's sexual in nature.  I've seen my share of female anatomy and I stand by my description above.  None that I've ever seen looked like that.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/7/22 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

It's a specific part integral to a woman's enjoyment of the carnal arts. It's also from south park, so it's not necessarily accurate. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/7/22 4:28 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Duke :

It's a specific part integral to a woman's enjoyment of the carnal arts. It's also from south park, so it's not necessarily accurate. 

Ahh, I should have figured.  South Park lost me early on with the Mister Hanky episode.

Are there men who have trouble finding it or think it's a myth?  I mean, it's right there front and center, plus there's feedback.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/7/22 4:34 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Unfortunately, there are. There's a SHOCKING amount of the male species that seems the think a ground and pound is all she needs, if she needs anything at all. Dudes are dumb. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/7/22 4:42 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

SMBH.  Add that to the list of things our young friend needs to know:

• Make sure she gets hers before you get yours.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/7/22 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

As an addendum to that- 

If you're worried about size, remember you have other stuff you can work with. Use it. Get good. She will remember. 

Edit- as long as we're giving that advice, anything you want your partner to do for you, expect to do the same in return. Can't have equality of both of y'all aren't playing fair. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/8/22 3:09 p.m.

One good thing about being a mechanic.

The dexterity that comes form being able to put a left hand threaded nut on with one finger in an area you can barely reach, let alone see pays off well in other areas.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
6/8/22 7:36 p.m.

Some great points already, and I may repeat some.

High School is short and brutal. It doesn't resemble much of the rest of your life. You won't get along with everybody, and there are times you'll just have to eat E36 M3, smile and bear it. To be frank, that's probably the biggest lesson High School will teach you.

Admitting that you're wrong (when you're actually wrong) and trying to correct it goes a long way in most situations.

You are the CEO of your own life, and everything has a cost/benefit ratio. 

Most employers would love it if you work yourself to death to enrich them at your expense. See above item. No employers are your friend- businesses exist to make money and protect their profits. 

Showing up, being willing to learn and getting along with people are the three main factors of success.

The world owes you nothing- you'll have to earn what you want to have.

Hands on labor is unlikely to be outsourced overseas. Everybody is going to want the plumber there quickly if there is crap overflowing onto their floor.

Being kind costs nothing.

Sometimes it's just best to listen.

Mental health is every bit as important as physical health.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
6/8/22 8:37 p.m.

All the adults and experts that you look up to started out just like you: they were babies who knew nothing. Everything that they have learned to excel at, you can learn as well.

Same thing applies to cars (at least the old ones): Someone put this together...why can't I?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
6/8/22 8:41 p.m.

Smile, and talk to every girl...because you never know...

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
6/8/22 9:46 p.m.

The world owes you nothing.

Life isn't fair, anyone who promised you it was was lying

Nobody gives a E36 M3 about you or your feelings

Companies are NOT your friends, they want your labor and time you want their money, get as much as you can for as little as you can.

Some people will never grow out of the high school clique bullE36 M3 and most find themselves in middle management roles.

The only useful things you learned in the past 12 years are math, science, and how to speak to get your point across. Maybe how to Google, hopefully how to ignore shiny happy people.

I never learned how to listen to people that can't find their ass with both hands and a map, if you don't want to be a wage slave all your life, learn this skill. 

Just because they're older, doesn't mean they're wiser.

You WILL be wrong. Own it, learn from it. 

If you can learn from other people's bad decisions, do it. Sometimes you have to learn them on your own no matter what.

Your teachers/principles/guidance counselors are too busy and tied to regulation to give you any idea what the real world and opportunities are like and this bares repeating, ANYTHING you can think of can be a job, sometimes for other people, sometimes for yourself. 

Learn to market yourself.

If someone does something for a job or hobby that you find interesting, flat out ask them how they got into it. 9 times out of 10 they'll be happy to talk to you and try to show you the ropes. You just need to ask.

Never trust the government or the media, they don't have your interests at heart, never have never will. 

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Ynq7gk11z8yFfAmdW6cQ3Ctlqx5WYohKE27D24QIavEC5p9DgxsaOAfLJpdmZ8j