4 5 6 7
ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
4/13/13 4:38 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Shhhh... Double post. It sucks. You?

Hah, luckily there aren't many BM's at headquarters. I'm on the Elm for another month then off to station portland oregon

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
4/13/13 4:54 p.m.

I was a Broadcast Operations Technician for a major cable TV broadcaster located in Atlanta. Hint in the photo in this article, but neither of those guys is me. Basically, we're the folks that organize & QC the signal you see on the set at home.

http://broadcastengineering.com/automation/master-control-systems

Laid off because of "centralized operations" mentioned in the article. I was going to get out of TV and go do something else, but being 50 without a college degree there's not much demand for me. On the bright side, I've got a buddy working for another station in town who says his boss seriously loves my resume (20yrs at a major, 10 more in local radio/tv). Yeah, I could be talked into getting back in the industry..

EDIT: repeated a word word

xd
xd Reader
4/13/13 5:29 p.m.

I'm a special ed teacher. I spend my days teaching kids who everyone wrote off. It is the most fun you can have while being paid. I work 173 days a year. The rest of the year I am fishing, hiking, hunting. Basically avoiding people at all costs to keep my sanity.

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
4/13/13 6:03 p.m.
xd wrote: I'm a special ed teacher. I spend my days teaching kids who everyone wrote off. It is the most fun you can have while being paid. I work 173 days a year. The rest of the year I am fishing, hiking, hunting. Basically avoiding people at all costs to keep my sanity.

You are a saint with the patients of Jobe. My hat is off to you.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/13/13 6:37 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Pimping. Contrary to popular belief, it is not that difficult.

I dub thee 'pimpshovel'.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
4/13/13 6:46 p.m.
bluesideup wrote: P3 guy I flew with last week said your engines are on upside down.

xd
xd Reader
4/14/13 12:03 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
xd wrote: I'm a special ed teacher. I spend my days teaching kids who everyone wrote off. It is the most fun you can have while being paid. I work 173 days a year. The rest of the year I am fishing, hiking, hunting. Basically avoiding people at all costs to keep my sanity.

Thanks, but I'm actually a temperamental ass when it comes to dealing with "normal" people.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
4/14/13 12:16 a.m.

I am temperamental with normal people everyday.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
4/14/13 12:28 p.m.

My title is General Manager; I guess I'm generally managing something. Really I run day to day operations and forecasting (local) at a service shop for class 8 trucks. Sometimes I actually get to leave my desk and phone in order to actually WORK on trucks and schmooze with customers. The customers and team are the best parts of my career!

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
4/14/13 2:09 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
bluesideup wrote: P3 guy I flew with last week said your engines are on upside down.

P3 guys are perpetually jealous dirtbags. I'm just a dirtbag- and hey, who do I have to be jealous of?

(I'm not really an shiny happy person, you just have to understand aviation bravado bullE36 M3, and understand that P3 pilots always wish they were Herk guys ).

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
4/14/13 2:12 p.m.
ahutson03 wrote:
Hah, luckily there aren't many BM's at headquarters. I'm on the Elm for another month then off to station portland oregon

That's good. I bought the damn ticket though... taking the ride through my personal work hell after a great year at grad school. Hope to be back in planes in a year or two, and the world will be good again. Being a BM on a buoy tender has to be a damn fun way to do it, right? A work mate is going south to be CO of Oak, and one of my best buddies is CO of Fir in Astoria.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
4/14/13 2:15 p.m.
bluesideup wrote:
Teh E36 M3 wrote: I didn't know that Coasties were taking over the board. I do this from the front seat:
P3 guy I flew with last week said your engines are on upside down. Are the Coastie C130Js the -30 stretch model?

Short bus. U.S. Military only buys the short ones.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
4/14/13 2:16 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Pimping. Contrary to popular belief, it is not that difficult.

This is contrary to everything I've been told.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
4/14/13 2:17 p.m.

I keep the IT infrastructure for 8 companies running. I inherited a mess at a few of them but they are progressing nicely.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
4/14/13 4:45 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote:
ahutson03 wrote:
That's good. I bought the damn ticket though... taking the ride through my personal work hell after a great year at grad school. Hope to be back in planes in a year or two, and the world will be good again. Being a BM on a buoy tender has to be a damn fun way to do it, right? A work mate is going south to be CO of Oak, and one of my best buddies is CO of Fir in Astoria.

Common misconception, I had always heard it too. I believed until I found out this particular 225 is gone more than a white boat while getting the same sea pay as a 65' harbor tug. This is from a guy who spent 3.5 years on a 210 and loved it though. As a 130 guy I'm sure you've done at least one tour in Clearwater?

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
4/14/13 4:49 p.m.

Oh and by the way, I didn't know there was a single CG officer who owned a midget. I thought it was commandant policy that you guys aren't allowed to have any hobbies at all. I've definitely never met one who has ever even seen an a series motor before

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/14/13 4:58 p.m.

Where did all of you Coasties come from?!? (Enlisted 03-06, honorable discharge, commissioned an 87' CPB and sailed it through the ditch, rebuilt lower units on 25's too)

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
4/14/13 6:10 p.m.

I've been a board member since '09. I'm a big lurker though. An MK I take it?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/14/13 6:14 p.m.

In reply to ahutson03:

No, I was a young idiot. I made SN and wanted to be an MK so I dallied while on the A-School waiting list. I was deck department though and could have tested into BM easily. I really should have done that. Hindsight 20/20 and all that jazz.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
4/14/13 7:41 p.m.

In reply to ahutson03:

I'm sorry to hear that- had no idea they pushed the black hulls that hard at least from a days away from home station bit. I've always heard good things about the crews though, and truthfully, that's what I miss most about flying these last couple years. No Clearwater tours- Sacramento and Barbers Point. . The south pacific kicks ass.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
4/14/13 7:42 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Where did all of you Coasties come from?!? (Enlisted 03-06, honorable discharge, commissioned an 87' CPB and sailed it through the ditch, rebuilt lower units on 25's too)

Mom and Dad tricked me into the academy, got somewhat trapped by earning crappy grades and graduated '98 in the top 90% of my class.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/14/13 7:57 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote:
Javelin wrote: Where did all of you Coasties come from?!? (Enlisted 03-06, honorable discharge, commissioned an 87' CPB and sailed it through the ditch, rebuilt lower units on 25's too)
Mom and Dad tricked me into the academy, got somewhat trapped by earning crappy grades and graduated '98 in the top 90% of my class.

That was my first idiotic mistake. I had an appointment to the Air Force Academy lined up and walked away to go to school for engineering, just to drop out and enlist after my freshman year. Le sigh.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
4/14/13 8:53 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: In reply to ahutson03: I'm sorry to hear that- had no idea they pushed the black hulls that hard at least from a days away from home station bit. I've always heard good things about the crews though, and truthfully, that's what I miss most about flying these last couple years. No Clearwater tours- Sacramento and Barbers Point. . The south pacific kicks ass.

Please don't apologize, I'm a cutterman, I know what I got myself into. It's only the 225's, we're a "Multi mission platform" and we are "optimally manned" so with half the crew of a 210 we work a buoy and have a boarding team out at the same time. It's funny you say you would only want to sit in the front of a 130, I grew up on an airport as a third generation pilot and went airman and completely hated it, screw sitting in the back. Now I'm a big dumb BM haha but at least I'm driving something right?

slow
slow New Reader
4/15/13 6:16 a.m.

Consulting in Biz and IT transformation. Usually talk to a room of people on strategies their own management team too shy to present and try to get out alive.

It pays the bill and keeps me awake at night.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
4/15/13 7:23 a.m.
xd wrote:
Toyman01 wrote:
Thanks, but I'm actually a temperamental ass when it comes to dealing with "normal" people.

My wife did the same thing for about 30 years and I can vouch for the crumpiness dealing with Other People.

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FBmCFR8RzkiYrDnHid4puuWBLamPlY1E2gJXeFP5kkK5E42SdqOHWg9h1oVVV5lv