1 2 3
keethrax
keethrax Reader
12/19/09 1:02 p.m.
pete240z wrote: We had a "HeathKit" store next to the Shack back in the day. That was heaven to the electronics guys.

Oh man! They had their own stores?

If only I had lived near one...

pete240z
pete240z Dork
12/19/09 2:08 p.m.
keethrax wrote:
pete240z wrote: We had a "HeathKit" store next to the Shack back in the day. That was heaven to the electronics guys.

Ogden Avenue, Downers Grove, Illinois.

We used to ride our bikes to the store and get a catalog and then go next door to Radio Shack and get our battery and a catalog and go home and talk about the stuff we would someday buy.

We always loved the stereo systems - good - better - best. We would analyze the "best" stereo system compared to the "good" system.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
12/19/09 3:23 p.m.

I have four "shacks" near me.. two in the local malls and one across the street from one of the malls.. those three stores suck.

the fourth is an old school store in an OLD shopping centre and the people who work there not only know where everything is, how to order it, but actually know how to do something with the stuff they sell. I try to use that store a lot

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
12/19/09 3:30 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I have four "shacks" near me..

Radio Shack's favorite statistic is that 90% of the US population lives within 3 miles of a Radio Shack store.
I know I do, and always have.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
12/19/09 3:32 p.m.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about the battery of the month club. My grandfather was a radio ham (I took it up a few years later) and we used to spend a lot of time at Radio Shack. I almost never go in there now - although the non-mall one locally isn't bad. If I need something like a bright warning light for oil pressure, I'll often drop in and pick out the one I want. It's nice to be able to see them for yourself.

We used to have a pure electronics repair and component store in town. Shut down about three years ago. What a shame. I think they spent a lot of time saying "yes, we can repair your DVD player for twice the price of a new one". That's just the way consumer electronics work now.

3 miles from a Radio Shack? I'd have to check, I'm probably just within the circle.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
12/19/09 3:46 p.m.

hey david what about that place that sponsors this site, puts ads your magazine....ahhh what's the name of it...hmmm superbrightleds.com? I've been shopping there for years if not autolumination.com also has a lot of led products and if not...ebay?

Will
Will Reader
12/19/09 4:55 p.m.

I hate the fact that Radio Shack continues to insist on asking for your full address to complete any transaction (or at least they did the last time I went into one), so I've taken to giving them the address of Wrigley Field.

I can only assume the Cubs are awash in junk mail.

scottgib
scottgib New Reader
12/19/09 7:22 p.m.

Digikey, Mouser, Jameco, allelectronics all are good sources.

keethrax
keethrax Reader
12/19/09 8:57 p.m.
pete240z wrote:
keethrax wrote:
Ogden Avenue, Downers Grove, Illinois.

Double damnit! I lived there back then. Between the Main and Fairview train stations just north of the tracks.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo SuperDork
12/19/09 9:18 p.m.
Will wrote: I hate the fact that Radio Shack continues to insist on asking for your full address to complete any transaction (or at least they did the last time I went into one), so I've taken to giving them the address of Wrigley Field.

I always tell them I'm in the witness protection program. They never even blink.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
12/19/09 9:30 p.m.
Will wrote: I hate the fact that Radio Shack continues to insist on asking for your full address to complete any transaction (or at least they did the last time I went into one), so I've taken to giving them the address of Wrigley Field. I can only assume the Cubs are awash in junk mail.

I do this at local stores.

I once told a clerk:

"Tutone, first name Tommy. Phone number 867-5309"

She didn't get it but the guy behind me in line did Fortunatley he didn't say anything.

I use "Herb Adams" a lot too.

Shawn

keethrax
keethrax Reader
12/19/09 10:21 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
Radio Shack's favorite statistic is that 90% of the US population lives within 3 miles of a Radio Shack store. I know I do, and always have.

20 miles for me. And its a crappy one.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
12/20/09 2:02 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:
Will wrote: I hate the fact that Radio Shack continues to insist on asking for your full address to complete any transaction (or at least they did the last time I went into one), so I've taken to giving them the address of Wrigley Field.
I always tell them I'm in the witness protection program. They never even blink.

If I know it, I give them the address of the store, otherwise, they get the White House.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
12/20/09 2:08 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I once told a clerk: "Tutone, first name Tommy. Phone number 867-5309" She didn't get it but the guy behind me in line did Fortunatley he didn't say anything.

I was buying a Christmas gift with a credit card once, and was feeling, er, festive. When the clerk asked to see my identification, I made a small wave of my hand and said: "You don't need to see my identification." The clerk, totally missing the reference, said "Yes, sir, I do." I made another small wave of my hand and said: "These aren't the droids you're looking for," thinking she'd get it. The guy behind me in line was trying to stifle the laughter as the clerk repeated her request for my ID. Not wanting to hold up the whole line, I just flashed my driver's license and went on my way.

I don't understand how the Jedi mind trick could fail to work on someone so weak-minded.

Trans_Maro wrote: I use "Herb Adams" a lot too.

I use Earl Warren a lot. I've also been known to tell people my name is Nebuchadnezzar. I always have to spell it for them.

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
12/20/09 7:54 p.m.

For electronic parts.. well I dont think I can explain it better than hackaday: http://hackaday.com/2007/11/16/how-to-where-to-find-parts-for-your-projects/

awesome article.

Will O'Brian said: If you want to keep your money, I’d avoid RadioShack as much as possible. When you’re stuck because you can’t find a freaking 10kohm resistor, it’s fine, but the markup on their low quality parts is insane-their clearance prices aren’t too bad. As much as people bag on RadioShack, just remember that nobody else bothers to sell electronic parts in the middle of nowhere.
Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
12/21/09 1:35 a.m.
Will wrote: I hate the fact that Radio Shack continues to insist on asking for your full address to complete any transaction (or at least they did the last time I went into one), so I've taken to giving them the address of Wrigley Field. I can only assume the Cubs are awash in junk mail.

They got your number.

No, they don't! I falsified my renewal. I put down 1060 W. Addison.

ZOO
ZOO Dork
12/21/09 6:33 a.m.
billy3esq wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: I once told a clerk: "Tutone, first name Tommy. Phone number 867-5309" She didn't get it but the guy behind me in line did Fortunatley he didn't say anything.
I was buying a Christmas gift with a credit card once, and was feeling, er, festive. When the clerk asked to see my identification, I made a small wave of my hand and said: "You don't need to see my identification." The clerk, totally missing the reference, said "Yes, sir, I do." I made another small wave of my hand and said: "These aren't the droids you're looking for," thinking she'd get it. The guy behind me in line was trying to stifle the laughter as the clerk repeated her request for my ID. Not wanting to hold up the whole line, I just flashed my driver's license and went on my way. I don't understand how the Jedi mind trick could fail to work on someone so weak-minded.
Trans_Maro wrote: I use "Herb Adams" a lot too.
I use Earl Warren a lot. I've also been known to tell people my name is Nebuchadnezzar. I always have to spell it for them.

Uh, kind of embarrassed here, but that was a Jedi mind trick in the movie? The same movie I saw at least 15 times the year it was released (because every 6 or 7 year old boy had his birthday party at the theatre), and hundreds of times since? I always thought it was just basic Empire stupidity. You know, like building a Death Star with an obvious Achilles heel.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/21/09 7:08 a.m.

As long as I can recall, going back to the early 80s, RS has been the last place on the planet I would go to buy anything. Even when they had some stock of ICs and discreet components it was always overpriced and the boxes/bread boards, etc were junk.

Unless it was sunday and I ran out of solder or RCA plugs I'd wait and go to the "real" electronics store. They went out of business sometime in the 90s and now everything I use comes from digi-key, alliedelec.com, or ebay. A bag of 100 assorted LEDs runs about $3-5.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
12/21/09 4:27 p.m.
ZOO wrote: Uh, kind of embarrassed here, but that was a Jedi mind trick in the movie?

Yes. Hence Obi-wan's statement: "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
12/21/09 5:59 p.m.

And Nazis:

Tighe
Tighe New Reader
12/21/09 6:06 p.m.

I hate Illinois Nazis

This is what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBMY4Rag27k

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
12/22/09 1:13 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
Radio Shack's favorite statistic is that 90% of the US population lives within 3 miles of a Radio Shack store. I know I do, and always have.

I don't have one within 100 miles of me. There use to be one here but it went under years ago (before I moved here).

When I lived in Portland if I needed electronics I would go to Wacky Willy's surplus store and get things for pennies on the dollar.

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
12/22/09 3:05 p.m.
Marty! The quicker picker-upper.... wrote: This is what happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBMY4Rag27k

WTF?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo SuperDork
12/22/09 3:20 p.m.

I would definately shop at a store called Wacky Willy's

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w7WgpPVtQPgtwI5tShsjiHQ6YdJciv8jOdVRMMu2GZbeFS4FgVpIFml7aiS4xFw2