1 2 3
Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
9/26/18 11:41 a.m.

Spend the money and take a ride on a B-17, especially if it's a decent summer day and they've got the radio compartment hatch open, letting you stick your head out and look at the whole airplane from that position.

It's some money (less than an HPDE weekend) but it was something that felt amazing that it could be done at all.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/26/18 11:46 a.m.

Scuba dive.  It really is like flying.

Do some of the epic drives that you’ve heard about but never done.  PCH, Tail of the Dragon, Rte 66.  Totally worth doing.

Try something new that other people love but you’ve never considered.  Shoot a gun, ride a horse, attend a rally, just something new and outside your usual comfort zone.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
9/26/18 11:59 a.m.

Watch the ISS (Space Station) fly over you. They have a website that is sort of easy to use in order to find out what days/times it will be over your area. (Either just after sunset or just before sunrise.)

While watching it - realize that it is 250 miles up and doing 17,150 mph.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/26/18 12:02 p.m.
RossD said:

We have two young kids. We had a company spray our yard for the summer at $350 for about an acre of lawn. We didn't have bug spray on at all. It made doing outside wonderful.

I know this doesn't fit in with 'travel europe' but it is more of a quality of life thing that I previously would have balked at the money aspect of it. Swinging on the swing set or eating tomatoes off the plant with the kids at 7 am or 8pm with not a care for bugs. You can get some special moments outside, rather than my daughter looking like the losing boxer after swelling up with bug bites.

I'm very tempted to do this next year.  I have a pretty nice back yard, that I can't hang out in at all for like ~8 months a year because I am absolutely shredded by mosquitoes.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
9/26/18 12:19 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to D2W : live where you dream about.  

It may be better or worse than your dreams but it will be worth it.  

For me it’s this lake while others may want mountains farms or a particular city, ( Paris?) 

I am working on it, that's why I started the thread about ICF. I have the property, and so far its been even better than I imagined.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
9/26/18 1:47 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

Isle of Mann TT  (ok, I've never been--- total bucket list item)

A family member of mine refines screenplays and pitches them to the studios.

He’s one of us (Chevelle SS among others in his stable) and he has made two trips to the Isle of Mann to dial in the specifics…”coming to a theatre near you soon”

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/26/18 2:02 p.m.

In my life I have done many of the things mentioned and somethings you can't do anymore, like driving between whichita falls tx and johnstown ny 4 times before the interstates.

So now I am pretty much relegated to one or two day trips.   fotunately there are lots to see and do here in the glorious NE.    Some I repeat because I enjoy it.

going to far north VT soon.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
9/26/18 2:38 p.m.

Always own one nice, reliable daily driver.

Adopt a dog.

Let your heart make the decisions when said decisions wouldn't make you lose your shirt if they turned out poorly.

Drive across North America.

Stand in a field in rural Saskatchewan and take in how big the world is.

Re-connect with whoever you want to re-connect with.

See the northern lights.

Fall in love with something all over again.

Try to make things look good even on a low-dollar budget.

Stop seeking approval from others.

Eat good food.

Experience other cultures.

Learn how to always think "how can I better my situation?"

Listen to as much music as you can and don't be afraid to spend a little extra dough on nice speakers.

Don't get bedliner on your hootus laugh

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/26/18 2:42 p.m.

Drive long stretches of the Pacific Coast Highway.  

Visit the Japanese Classic Car Show.  

Stand at the fence at 8am and eat a bratwurst with sauerkraut that you just bought from the Lutheran Church running the food stand and gaze up the straight away on corner 14 at Road America as Trans Am cars are loudly accelerating up the hill during some warm up period.   

Survive all the partying in the 1970’s and 1980’s.  

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/26/18 2:42 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Travel outside of the US, the farther the better.  You gain a better perspective on things when you view the U.S. from afar, like looking at Earth from the Moon.  Talk to people about their history, their culture and their opinion of America.  You will be surprised what you hear, both positive and negative, and you will grow as a person.

This times a bazillion. Life in a cozy fishbowl is nice and all that, but looking in from the outside will separate you from the rest of the goldfish for the rest of your life.

Other than that: Sleep with a Redhead and own a sportscar.

Pete

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
9/26/18 3:55 p.m.

Travel could fill its own thread, but on my hitlist to go back to and explore more are Ireland, New Zealand and Argentina.   I'd like to spend more time in the Caribbean or check out the Mediterranean, but start with those first three.

I really recommend Wheel to Wheel racing.  There's nothing quite like it, and with the popularity of LeMons and ChampCar, there's ample opportunity for a car guy to do it.

The other one is grab the missus or the boys and head over to ye old Nordschleife.  It's an amazing experience as well.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/26/18 4:00 p.m.
RossD said:

Swinging on the swing set

Geez I almost thought we were on the same page there for a second

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
9/26/18 4:40 p.m.

Vasectomy, ingest marijuana, learn to weld, be a student of the world.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/26/18 6:20 p.m.

Drive a race car in wheel to wheel competition. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/26/18 6:20 p.m.

Sail a boat

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/26/18 6:30 p.m.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/26/18 6:46 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

not done it so I can't recommend it. :(

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/26/18 6:48 p.m.

Move out of IL/move to the Gulf Coast/Mississippi. 

imgon
imgon Reader
9/26/18 6:48 p.m.

+ a million for travel, especially to places that are not like where you live. If you can travel slowly on the back roads and meet the people that live there. My wife and I once traveled 4800 miles over two and half weeks on our motorcycles and only traveled 500 miles on an interstate when we got close to home again. It was amazing to see such different landscapes and we met some wonderful people. If you like old stuff, go to Europe or the Middle East. We took a trip to Greece and were blown away by the ancient buildings that are still standing,  thousands of years old, we think 200 year old buildings are old around here. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
9/26/18 7:44 p.m.

Red Rock Biplane Tours - Sedona, AZ  (You'll thank me later)  If you can afford it (we couldn't, young "poor-ish" at the time), have them take you all the way to the Grand Canyon.

The take off it probably the best part.  The airport is on top of one of the large red rock formations, and you pretty much fly off the side of the rock.  Sedona itself is breath-taking.  

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/26/18 7:52 p.m.

World travel - have fantastic kids - scare yourself - do something you care about

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/26/18 8:51 p.m.

Divest yourselves of "going nowhere" projects. Also, get rid of lesser projects. Simplify your lives. I know this goes against the macho-project philosophy here, but in the overall scheme of life, focus your efforts on the important things. So, what do you really like/want? What really makes you happy? Believe me, less is more.

grouperalley
grouperalley New Reader
9/26/18 9:03 p.m.

Ditto on scuba, particularly a big wall dive. Best times of my life on liveabords in Bahamas.  Travel. See Denali and icebergs.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
9/26/18 9:43 p.m.

Having a hard time thinking of things I'd recommend someone else do. I have thought of several things I'd certainly recommend not doing.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
9/26/18 11:01 p.m.
RossD said:

We have two young kids. We had a company spray our yard for the summer at $350 for about an acre of lawn. We didn't have bug spray on at all. It made doing outside wonderful.

I know this doesn't fit in with 'travel europe' but it is more of a quality of life thing that I previously would have balked at the money aspect of it. Swinging on the swing set or eating tomatoes off the plant with the kids at 7 am or 8pm with not a care for bugs. You can get some special moments outside, rather than my daughter looking like the losing boxer after swelling up with bug bites.

It works? I tried a mosquito company for $150 and that expense failed miserably

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Zm1N7mrCRuolMZsrs7opH5O4teWOlpjy29dEFtfxENVRobnQOdg8Pl56Da7Qzb3