1 2
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/18/22 10:41 a.m.

AAZCD Daughter #2 sent me these pictures to see if I know what it is. It was found in a parking lot. I'm stumped. I figure GRM knows exactly what it is.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
10/18/22 11:03 a.m.

Looks like some kind of adjuster, maybe from an aftermarket damper/shock.  Initially I thought it was a handbrake adjuster for disc brakes, but I dont think it is.

SpeedwayFan
SpeedwayFan Reader
10/18/22 11:09 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Worlds weirdest wine stopper?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
10/18/22 11:55 a.m.

Leave it under an airplane at your local airport devil

10/18/22 12:03 p.m.

Another note, it was in a hospital parking lot. Wheelchair or walker thingie adjuster?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/18/22 12:10 p.m.

Screwdriver-actuated pinion gear adjuster assembly in a lovely blue anodized finish.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/18/22 1:03 p.m.

Parts of it look like a speedometer drive, but no place for a cable or speed sensor.

Blue anodizing suggests its not an OEM car part.

Oapfu
Oapfu New Reader
10/18/22 2:20 p.m.

Super holy E36 M3, I have one of those!  Errr, and I don't remember exactly what it is.  IIRC it was indeed medical-related, a quick-release coupler for something.  The inner blue anodized piece has a one-way bearing on the shaft, and is spring-loaded.  The 'gear' spins (one way...) so that a grooved attachment can be inserted and then held.  Pushing in against the spring disengages the gear and the attachment can be removed.  I assume these are off-the-shelf, if you know the correct shelf.  The white piece in the pix below is delrin and was made by the small machine shop where I started working back in 2000.  The parts I have were setups or extras I saved after a shop cleanup, just b/c they were cool.  This is an example of why you should never throw anything out... you can imagine what my garage is like.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/18/22 2:31 p.m.

So we can safely assume that some poor invalid is rolling around at this moment in a wheelchair or similar device in imminent danger of falling apart?

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
10/18/22 2:34 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

It's not structural, so no danger of falling apart. Just out of adjustment and danger of that system failing... So brakes, oxygen flow, etc.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/18/22 2:44 p.m.
Driven5 said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

It's not structural, so no danger of falling apart. Just out of adjustment and danger of that system failing... So brakes, oxygen flow, etc.

Ah, good.  So nothing important.  laugh

Oapfu
Oapfu New Reader
10/18/22 3:21 p.m.

Insert reference to Monty Python/ Black Knight "Your arm's off!"

Edit: note the available thread adapter, b/c no industry can ever standardize the threads on anything.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/534ece9ee4b09b70f38e32e1/1527177699698-JIZ54NH3QYHPKIEPI1CT/Prosthesis+with+Shuttle+Lock

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/18/22 3:24 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

Leave it under an airplane at your local airport devil

That how to mess me up - leave a nut or washer or random liquid under my car and I'll be investigating it all evening.  

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
10/18/22 3:32 p.m.

If there's another forum that's better than this one at ID-ing bizarre crap, I don't know what it is..

pkingham (Forum Supporter)
pkingham (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/18/22 3:36 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Now that we know what it is, your choice of the word 'stumped' could be seen as foreshadowing.  Were you teasing us?

10/18/22 4:08 p.m.

In reply to Oapfu :

Thanks for solving the mystery and complete with the patent!

My daughter can tell her friends at Bio-med (that found it) that it has been identified. The hive of GRM is truly the repository of all knowledge. I get points with my daughter for bringing the answer and she gets credit with Bio-med for the solution to their their puzzle.

Seeing the rust on the gear, it's been out there for a while and nobody is likely hopping around the parking lot today with a limb off.

Gary
Gary UberDork
10/18/22 4:15 p.m.

Bravo! You folks amaze me. laugh

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
10/18/22 4:25 p.m.

That was an impressive display of very random knowledge. Made my workday. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/18/22 6:02 p.m.

Almost all knowledge, and that is an amazing thing about the forum. This is a classic example, for sure. 

There is still that one tool that we've never been able to identify. It looked like a marlinspike for rope work. 
Anyone have the link?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/18/22 6:10 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I thought we all had that. 

I've got it saved on my phone. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/18/22 6:10 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Almost all knowledge, and that is an amazing thing about the forum. This is a classic example, for sure. 

There is still that one tool that we've never been able to identify. It looked like a marlinspike for rope work. 
Anyone have the link?

So you just gotta focus on that one time the hive couldn't come up with the answer? Some folks are never satisfied!  laugh

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/18/22 6:12 p.m.

So if we leave it under an airplane, a one legged pilot will think his prosthetic will fall off mid-flight!

eedavis
eedavis New Reader
10/18/22 7:21 p.m.
Jay_W said:

If there's another forum that's better than this one at ID-ing bizarre crap, I don't know what it is..

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/

not saying it's "better," but it is dedicated to IDing random crap

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/18/22 7:30 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

So we can safely assume that some poor invalid is rolling around at this moment in a wheelchair or similar device in imminent danger of falling apart?

My money's on the guy doing wheelchair donuts in the parking lot. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/18/22 7:35 p.m.

And.... now I've read the rest of the thread. laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
12rMmW6BVMP5Wg9dfqJTPVRZybttqPrSRkox9PfTto6sTG3MYlhXLPsMWXyT85K2