1 2
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/5/20 6:18 p.m.

I had been wearing New Balance shoes for years with no issues but now that I've gotten back into going to the gym and walking a lot I'm wearing through them fast. My latest pair I killed the heels in about three weeks. I know being fat they wear faster but is that something better that wouldn't need quite as frequent replacements?  

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
9/5/20 6:22 p.m.

In my experience the only shoes that last once you get above a size 10 are new balance. 

do you have a new balance store near your? Maybe go in and discuss your issues with them, they usually have more options/sizes than a regular shoe store. 

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
9/5/20 6:25 p.m.

Maybe try Puma's. 
Im not overweight but I'm a delivery driver by trade, typically walk 5-8 miles a day and they last me around a year. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/5/20 6:45 p.m.

I'm not overweight so ignore this but I have good luck with Adidas Sambas lasting a long time.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/5/20 6:50 p.m.

I've got Nike Monarchs, casually called a Dad shoe.  I'm 270 ish, and they last reasonably well.  Wide and comfy, too.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
9/5/20 6:59 p.m.

Damn.  Was gonna say new balance.

If it's just the heels wearing out, that is a stride issue.

Maybe get some insoles that help with better positioning?

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/5/20 7:16 p.m.

I was a long time devotee to New Balance but the quality really seemed to go downhill. I am now a devotee to Asics who also offers the wide sizes that I need. 

Sizing is the same as NB meaning that as a NB 10.5w, the Asics 10.5w fit the same

My current daily kicks were $59

6'1" & 255 lbs

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/5/20 7:18 p.m.

Wearing out the outsoles or crushing down the insoles?

At about 270 I've been doing pretty well with some Skechers wide width hiker / sneakers. 

I also get pretty good comfort and mileage out of Lands End All Weather Mocs, which are very comfortable for walking. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/5/20 7:22 p.m.

I'm crushing the backs and they wear funny. I'm sure a lot of it is how I walk but being 350lbs and having broken both ankles it's not going to improve any time soon . It's sounding like I'm going to have to suck it up and keep replacing them. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/5/20 7:39 p.m.

Find a specialty shoe store. They’ll probably be stocking New Balance, maybe one other athletic shoe, then a bunch of shoes that you’ve never heard of and about 37 different brands of orthotic insoles.

You will be pointed in the right direction, which probably involves an insole (possibly custom) and a pair of shoes that work for you and your stride. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/5/20 7:43 p.m.

They are expensive as hell, but do you have a SAS store anywhere nearby?  They might have something suitable, are generally very durable and comfortable, and may have a very generous warranty.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
9/5/20 7:56 p.m.

I get about a year out of my DC skate shoes before they wear through the bottom at 280 in a size 14.

Maybe not the sneaker you're looking for, but for they're comfortable enough to walk 4-5 miles a day in. 

If you look hard enough you can get them in basic colors, or crazy if that's your thing, but mine are all either all black, or a subtle black and white.

These ones actually, $55

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
9/5/20 8:05 p.m.

Agree with the suggestion to go to a specialty running shoe store.  Sure, everyone there will be stick thin, but many of them have machines that can scan your feet to get the right size, and have lots of options for you.  These people have forgotten more about shoes than we will ever know, tell them what you want and ask for their help.  I'm not a big dude, but I've appreciated the cushioning of Asics, but have recently switched to On brand shoes for running, and have Merrills for non running.  

Toebra
Toebra Dork
9/5/20 8:18 p.m.

Whatever you do, do NOT go to the Good Feet Store.

Are the heels wearing at the inside of the outside?  Outside is a normal wear pattern, inside not so much.  Has anything else changed, different model of shoe, change in activity, anything like that?

When you say you are 350# and have broken both ankles, what do you mean exactly?  Are you diabetic, do you have Charcot arthropathy?  I am perhaps biased, but have you seen a podiatrist?

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/5/20 8:25 p.m.

I was fitted at a specialty store and at the time was 280lbs with improper walk technique. I've been wearing the hoka bondi series for 3 years. It's a high cushion asphalt running shoe. They are pricey at 160ish a set  but I walk 50ish miles a week and have found nothing even close for comfort. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/5/20 9:03 p.m.

My friend the podiatrist recommended New Balance 700 series or better. 

Not sure if they they still number them the same, but a few years back, there was a huge difference in 600s and 700s. The difference in price was about $20. 

I’ve had great luck with Under Armor sneakers the past few years. They’re more comfortable than being barefoot and last forever. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/5/20 9:06 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

I was a long time devotee to New Balance but the quality really seemed to go downhill. I am now a devotee to Asics who also offers the wide sizes that I need. 

Sizing is the same as NB meaning that as a NB 10.5w, the Asics 10.5w fit the same

My current daily kicks were $59

6'1" & 255 lbs

Depends on the NB. Sone are good some suck. I have a pair of asics as well and they seem to hold up well. Took longer to break in than my newest pair of NB. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/5/20 9:09 p.m.

Believe it or not, I've had a lot of luck with nike. I was a die hard asics guy forever, and they just went to E36 M3 for some reason. Saucony is excellent as well, but I'm picky. I've gobe through several pairs of new balance and in convinced they quit making their best shoe 10 years ago. The nikes I'm wearing now are epic react flyknit. Slip on, stupid comfy and have outlasted virtually anything I've bought in the last 5 years. Good enough I bought a second pair. I NEVER buy a second pair. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/5/20 9:11 p.m.
dropstep said:

I was fitted at a specialty store and at the time was 280lbs with improper walk technique. I've been wearing the hoka bondi series for 3 years. It's a high cushion asphalt running shoe. They are pricey at 160ish a set  but I walk 50ish miles a week and have found nothing even close for comfort. 

I would agree, except if you probate, the max stack on a hoka will MURDER your ankles. I had a set of arahis I loved but I couldn't wear them after about 2 months because the midsole wore down and fried my ankles. 

johndej
johndej Dork
9/5/20 9:15 p.m.

Yeah try a dedicated running store. I sought one out while running CC in highschool but should still be relevant. They turned me on to Brooks after I'd been killing the heels on off the shelf adidas.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/5/20 9:42 p.m.

I like my Brooks running shoes as well.  Had a pair of Nike's I liked (that have been discontinued which annoys me).  Had a pair of Asics that I didn't.  This is all in the last ~2 years.

A pair of Hoka's might be perfect for this.

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
9/5/20 10:05 p.m.

I've found some Skechers Crossbar shoes with memory foam insoles that I actually like quite a bit.  I'm definitely no lightweight, and I've been wearing them to work for a while with good results.  

I like KEEN. Not sure they're the answer to your question. 3 weeks seems like miserable service life.

stroker
stroker UberDork
9/6/20 8:36 a.m.

I've had good experience with Brooks "Beast" shoes.  Been wearing them for about 20 years.  

Not the same pair obviously.  smiley

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/6/20 9:26 a.m.

I'm 290 lbs, and I'm a firm believer in Merrells.  I put them to work, too, I regularly go on 2-3 mile walks with the dog on pavement, trails, and dirt roads, and they hold up great. My current pair is probably 2 years old and still look and feel like new.

I do use inserts to give me more arch support. Not that the Merrells are lacking, I've just had plantar fasciitis in the past and don't care to repeat that experience.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mG4qcWNnODbdD4X0hHAqqK9MPfbqTJipGk01jXXB4XzCjz7gpSGMjSC4GCAY2h3N