1 2
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/24/22 11:05 p.m.

Since I watch "Stranger Things" I have not been able to get that stupid Kate Bush "Running up that hill" tune out of my head.

Strange. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/25/22 12:09 a.m.
NOT A TA said:
David S. Wallens said:
NOT A TA said:

After over 40 years of not playing I'm starting all over, soo...... Wipe Out.

On guitar? 

Yes

Very cool. 

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
6/25/22 9:25 a.m.

I'm Waiting For The Man

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/26/22 2:53 p.m.

When I was a kid I learned guitar.  I never really learned instrumental stuff so I played a lot of chord charts, mostly folk stuff; Cat Stevens, Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, Peter, Paul, and Mary, etc.  Then I put it all down for 30 years.  A few years ago I set up a studio, refreshed the guitars, built a Cajon, bought an electric Washburn with two singles and a humbucker, an interface, studio mic, and all the trimmings.  Didn't cost much because I found deals on used stuff and already had a couple guitars.

I have written about 15 songs in my head.  I haven't put them down on paper or on the hard drive, just sang them into my phone so I didn't forget them.  I don't feel the need to perform or be sitting on the stage fighting for my 5 minutes of fame, but I would love it if I wrote something that John Mayer, Chris Thile, or Sam Beam ended up recording.  Heck, I have some that could easily slide over to the pop/R&B side if Khalid or Ariana Grande took a shine to them.

I just have this block/learning curve I need to overcome.  First, I'm so rusty on the guitar, and secondly I'm not much for writing music.  I'm a vocalist, so I think in lyrics and single-note progressions.  I can arrange an 8-part choral motet by singing it through and plunking it out on a keyboard, but my brain never got deep into music theory where I can say "that's a C6maj7sus" or whatever.  I think linearly in one voice at a time.  I can plunk out some awesome chords from time to time, but I read music relatively.  I can't look at (or write) a whole cord and instantly recognize it.  I just know what sounds right and I can put it in a piece of music.  I also need to find software that can help with some of that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RwmDinmXaAzhRm5s59VBM8nK1DKo1bB8A2L6nMyh0vX7SiDSXeAyCkgPgzM43A3k