jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
12/1/20 10:53 p.m.

I'm working in Boston for a while (potentially until mid-Feb) and will have a lot of days off.  Wondering if there are any rallycrosses or autocrosses happening in the area?

Or potentially anyone who would want some help working on that project that's been collecting dust? (or snow, as it may be here soon)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/1/20 11:26 p.m.

Take on the Institute.  Follow the Freedom Trail to the Railroad.  Destroy the Brotherhood.

There's also an indoor kart track https://www.k1speed.com/ and what looks to be a HPDE thingie https://www.motorsportexp.com/

preach
preach Reader
12/2/20 1:52 a.m.

Kelly's Roast Beef.

thedoc
thedoc Reader
12/2/20 4:37 a.m.

look at ner.org, that is the local scca.  There is a rallycross this weekend.  The facebook page is ner scca rallycross, rallysprint.  We have some good auto cross during the season, not that that helps you.

thedoc
thedoc Reader
12/2/20 4:39 a.m.

If they are telling you about kellys roast beef, go to Fuddruckers while you are in the area.  I know it is a chain, but the burgers and shakes are awesome.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
12/2/20 5:23 a.m.

Well, the combat zone was cleaned up a long time ago, so I’m no help...

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/2/20 2:13 p.m.

Team O'Neil is a bit of a hike, but probably worth it. They're on my bucket list. 

Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club (AMEC) has ice racing when the weather permits.

Others have pointed you to NER, but there's also SCCNH in New Hampshire. Autocross won't restart until at least March out there though.

New England Hillclimb Association (NEHA) runs hillclimbs in VT and NH in the summer months - there are a few members on here that are pretty active with them.

K1 Speed (North of Boston) is pretty fun and there's also F1 Boston (South of Boston), which runs gas powered carts. Both are probably closed right now due to Covid.

The Larz Anderson museum is cool.

If I still lived there, I would have taken you up on project help in a second!

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
12/2/20 2:47 p.m.

great ideas. I'll be looking into the rally cross!   hopefully they have loaner helmets.... i'm coordinating and not driving on this job so I didn't bring my kit.

and yes, in case it got overlooked, I'm happy to offer help to anyone who might have a project going on and want an extra hand! and by extra hand I mean someone there to point out what looks wrong while likely offering no usable advice.   

well, hopefully not completely true... I like challenges and helping people and can cut, bolt, unbolt and melt things together.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
12/2/20 4:30 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry (FS) :

Let me know when ya work near Dothan; exactly the kinda help I need!smiley

I’ve visited Boston a few times, and worked near Plymouth Rock ( they should have named it the pebble) and stayed out on cape cod  Pretty cool area  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/2/20 5:18 p.m.

Eat seafood

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
12/2/20 5:56 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I looked up Dothan, MA, but since there is no such place, I have a feeling you're in Alabama which is no less than 1,000 miles away!   super bummed as I could justify a 2-3 hour drive to help you but I can't go that far as I have to be close-ish for work.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/2/20 8:06 p.m.

If you end up in western mass and need something, hit me up. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/2/20 8:07 p.m.

Winter is a tough time for car-related stuff in Boston and the surrounding area. There are a few things you can do: 

-Both the Heritage Museum in Sandwich (on Cape Cod) and the Larz Anderson have cool car stuff. Larz Anderson is in Brookline, which is basically in the city. I think there's a new car museum somewhere else in the Boston area as well. 

-If you are into art and ancient artifacts, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston is a great place. I love it there. Everything from cave art to modern weirdness, and everything in between. 

-The touristy stuff in Boston, Salem, and Plymouth is great, but I'm not sure how much of it is happening during both winter and the pandemic. 

That's actually a problem for all of it: the pandemic is shutting some of the cool stuff down for the time being. We just spiked in new cases today, so I'm thinking they may shut more things down in the near future. 

thedoc
thedoc Reader
12/2/20 8:18 p.m.

If you are up for a trip, the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Maine is awesome.  The ride is nice in spots as well.  If you go, hit up the Brass compass in Rockland for an AWESOME lobster roll.

preach
preach Reader
12/2/20 11:36 p.m.

I am up in Somersworth, NH (when I am not on the road for work), about an hour north. I have a helmet you can use if needed. Projects to be looked at. Beer.

If you are still around in March/April NE Motorsports does a Make-a-Wish run on the Kancamangus Highway (The Kanc, pronounced kank). Usually a huge turn out and a pretty neat set of roads to drive on. The Kanc is a road up in the White Mountains and is about 2 hours from Boston.

EDIT: I am currently in San Diego but should be back in NH just before Christmas.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
12/3/20 3:07 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry (FS) :

I was actually just makin’ a joke, ya know. But great answer!

ive never been up there in the winter, but my uncle did a year up there in the 70’s. Said he never wanted to be stuck up north for the winter. Also said we didn’t win the war with England, Cornwallace just got lost on a rotary!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ChpsbX9aagHUngHkTeEHVGORYCndbEoGryRSwWUf7DqNtbzAfdfgpOd6IqMICGXL