1 2 3 4
Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/1/12 10:00 p.m.

Mine was a 2008 Saturn Astra. Every option but the upgraded stereo (one of 3 on the lot, it was either the sunroof model or the nice stereo model, we went with the sunroof) but a real manual transmission.

I still find it odd that I often show up places and have the "rarest" car around. I mean, it's common as dirt everywhere but in the North American market, from what I understand.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
4/1/12 11:15 p.m.

Time for the OF brigade to chime in: 1970 BMW 2002, Colorado orange. Not many new ones after that, but a few. The Bimmer was a great car - hard to believe that almost any bottom of the line grocery getter today would blow it off.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/1/12 11:20 p.m.

Whoo hoo I suggested a thread and it came true! (if someone else is responsible I'm taking credit anyway)

Mine the day I picked it up:

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
4/2/12 12:45 a.m.

91 Beretta GT, 3.1V6, 5 speed, and NO SPOILER. It was "rare."

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/2/12 6:31 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: 91 Beretta GT, 3.1V6, 5 speed, and NO SPOILER. It was "rare."

I always look at used cars and think about the fact that one day, in the past, someone bought that car new. They chose it and brought it home and loved it and thought it was awesome. Sometimes, I look at cars like the Beretta and say "Really? You really looked at all of the new cars available tha year, the used ones too, and came away with Beretta as the answer? Really?"
I have a k-car in the garage that I specifically sought out, so I'm not being all high and mighty, I just like to think about these things in the abstract sometimes and think of the emotional aspect of buying cars.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
4/2/12 6:45 a.m.

'96 Acura Integra GS-R. Bought it in early '97 as a left over. Had it about 3 years and only put 17k miles on it. Sold it to some kid who I know riced it out with mommy and daddy's money.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/2/12 7:41 a.m.

My newest car I have ever bought was a '96 Civic DX in '09. I may buy a new Abarth in a couple years.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
4/2/12 8:41 a.m.

First new car was this '96 Splash 2.3 5 speed. Pretty quick in 1-2, but fell on it's face in 3rd. Still, kind of fun and wonderfully reliable:

Out of the hundered plus cars I've owned only a handful have been new. Most have been cheap used cars, but I like treating myself every once in a while.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
4/2/12 9:00 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: Whoo hoo I suggested a thread and it came true! (if someone else is responsible I'm taking credit anyway) Mine the day I picked it up:

There is one just like this around here, I saw it stopped at a second-hand dealer a while ago, they're all going up for sale now because the factory apex seals are wearing out.

Anyways I've never bought a new car and probably never will.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/2/12 9:06 a.m.

1978 Fiat 128. Tag, Title, tax & out the door for $3600.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/2/12 9:08 a.m.

I've never had a new car. Newest one was a 1997 Neon I bought in 1999 from a guy I knew who stole it from me about 2 months later. He was financing it to me, he still had the title, police wouldn't do anything about it.

octavious
octavious New Reader
4/2/12 9:11 a.m.

None. But since I've been married we bought two new cars for my wife. The first was an 02 Jeep Liberty Limited in late 2001, right after 9/11 and APR was at 0% for the first time in forever. That was a great little SUV. 130K miles when we traded it in 07 for her other car. It even did stuff like this.

Her commute got longer so we traded the Jeep in on a 2008 Mazda 3 wagon. I have to admit, this has been one of my favorite cars to come through the house. I really wished I could have talked her into the Speed3 but this has still been a good car. 2.3, 5spd, power everything else, 80k miles, and its just needed routine service stuff. That's probably why I like it so much, it frees me to do stuff on the rest of the fleet. We had low APR and no other payments so we paid this off early and own it outright. So if it gets wrecked and is fixable I'll buy it back and turn it into an autocross car. Anyways the Mazda looks just like this one.

The newest car I have ever purchased, and ever had a payment on was my JK. It was an 07 that I bought in 09. It was awesome, but it was sloooooooow. It really started to kill me to want to mod something and still have a payment on it. Plus my commute more than tripled, 7 miles a day to 40, and it was awful on gas. It looked like this right before I sold it a few months ago.

I doubt we'll ever do new again though. Now it just makes more sense to buy used stuff with records and that has been checked over multiple times before purchasing.

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
4/2/12 9:21 a.m.

While going to a local 4 year college and working part time I went out and bought a new 1974 Mercury Capri V6 4 speed in Miami Blue Met. W/ black interior and paid cash! Just a bit over $4000 took it out the door. Kept it for 12 years too!

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/2/12 11:39 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Rufledt wrote: Whoo hoo I suggested a thread and it came true! (if someone else is responsible I'm taking credit anyway) Mine the day I picked it up:
There is one just like this around here, I saw it stopped at a second-hand dealer a while ago, they're all going up for sale now because the factory apex seals are wearing out. Anyways I've never bought a new car and probably never will.

Yeah they won't make 100K unless the owner is insanely anal about oil and adds 2 stroke oil to the gas. then, it'll barely make 100k. I knew it going in but couldn't resist after the test drive...

Mine has a series 2 renesis engine, though, which supposedly last longer, but i'm not holding my breath.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard SonDork
4/2/12 12:32 p.m.

I've never bought a new car. Heck, I've never even bought a car that was younger than me! The closest I've ever gotten is my Trooper, which is still two years older than me. I don't have any problem maintaining old cars, because I have little money and lots of time. I also don't plan on getting rid of the Trooper or the E30, to the point where I'm thinking of building a 3.4l for the Trooper, a project that would probably cost as much as I paid for the truck.

That said, I'm the steward of the new Fiesta project, and it has me seriously considering buying a new one once I'm financially stable. It is nice not dealing with squeaks, rattles, and the occasional fire (ok, I've never dealt with a fire)

Then again, I can't figure out how to reset the oil change light... maybe I'll just stick to my Trooper.

ransom
ransom Dork
4/2/12 12:34 p.m.

2012 WRX. It's really, really good.

But I still miss having my 2002 running.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
4/2/12 12:52 p.m.

1983 Honda Prelude. Never should have gotten rid of it.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
4/2/12 1:44 p.m.

2001 Saturn SL2 10th anniversary edition. Silver with a black leather interior. Bought it in May 2001, it was totaled in Jan 2010. Dependable, if somewhat boring. Still have the "limited edition" key fob for it somewhere.

At the time, I had also test driven a Corolla, a Civic LX, Sentra SE, a Protege ES, a Focus ZX3, and a 2002 Impreza 2.5RS. I liked all the cars better than the Saturn except for the Corolla. But, the Subaru dealer wouldn't move on price, and every other dealer played the four-square game, tried to jack up my interest rate, and steal my trade in. Being a nonconfrontational sort, it was easier to just buy the dang Saturn than get wrapped up in dealer games.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
4/2/12 2:45 p.m.

Black 1994 Civic DX coupe

That's what started me on the Honda addiction

stanger_missle
stanger_missle New Reader
4/2/12 3:04 p.m.

2011 Ram 1500 Express - Bought in July 2011. Sat from Aug 2011 to Mar 2012 due to deployment. Just broke 2400 miles. Brilliant Black Metallic, 2wd, Single cab, PW, PDL, A/C, cruise, power mirrors, cloth bench. 390hp Hemi. Moves pretty damn good for a big truck. Now has Magnaflow exhaust and Bakflip G2 tonneau cover. Next is black SRT10 replicas, small rear lowering kit, Mopar reciever and tint (Florida is HOT).

$21k OTD (that includes $1k carried over from my trade - 2005 Magnum RT)

You should totally get one Grizz! do eit!

MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
4/2/12 3:13 p.m.

2008 MS3

Cotton
Cotton Dork
4/2/12 3:21 p.m.

2007 Solstice GXP vert for the wife, then traded it on a new Solstice GXP coupe.

Only other new vehicle I ever bought was a 1989 Honda NX125. I bought it brand new in 90 when I was 13 using money from pumping gas part time. I was finally able to ride it legally on the road when I got my MC license at 14. I still have that bike, and it still runs, but is in rough shape otherwise.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
4/2/12 4:46 p.m.
914Driver wrote: 1978 Fiat 128. Tag, Title, tax & oiut the door for $3600.

same here ... 'cept mine was a '76 Civic $3200 + tag/title/tax

only one other new one ... an '01 Integra LS

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
4/2/12 6:16 p.m.

1996 Dakota Sport. Ordered it brand new and still have it to this day. 5.2 V8, 5-speed, 4x4, 3.55 limited slip. Black standard cab short bed with chrome bumpers.

I don't have any pictures of it online. It could use some fresh paint now and a little attention in a couple spots. It was retired from truck duty a few years ago and moved over to toy status.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
4/2/12 6:17 p.m.
iceracer wrote: '52 Willys Aero Wing

Wow I think we've found the oldest guy on here

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BjGKQiN5bvYGKIsIV8qAFWjW4noqiCaBSzYQ7pwlbt1unQp4TpRz0PqEmK7kPTF5