1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/30/22 12:58 p.m.

This one has a story.

Earlier this year, I went to a gallery opening in Jacksonville for Fishbone’s Angelo Moore. Even though he’s based in California, his first-ever gallery show took place in Florida.

A mixed-media piece featuring Blondie’s Debbie Harry just sucked me in: the intensity, the mood, the colors and the fact that it brought together punk rock, cars, guitars and two legendary performers.

Loved it.

And so did someone else as it was already sold. Womp, womp.

I talked to Angelo, his manager and the gallery owners, and we agreed to do a commission along the same lines. “Even better,” they all said.

He’d ship the canvas to the gallery, and they’d mount it for me.

When I got the call, I headed up to fetch it.

Yup, even better.

It now hangs over my left shoulder here in my office.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
11/30/22 1:04 p.m.

its in a much better spot on a wall now (this was taken when it first arrived), but this is from Chris Buescher's 2021 Daytona 500 car.

(Its art to me, at least)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/30/22 1:08 p.m.

Discovered this artist at a festival one time: https://impsandmonsters.com/product-category/artprints/

Absolutely fell in love with his style. That it is fun and whimsical, but not childish. Have several prints of his art up in various rooms of the house.

The Rescue

Uprooted

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/30/22 1:36 p.m.

Unfortunately (?) Trish knows a weaver and a potter, these are all functioning oven-able dishes.  Our kitchen is in the one story part of the house, I put in a sky light on the east and the west side of the pitched roof and then made a trapezoidal box in lieu of two square tubes.  Oh boy, another place to fill  .....

NOT the place to be on a Sunday morn with a hangover.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/30/22 1:41 p.m.

Rescued this Angel from a small Mexican town I almost remember.

David S. Wallens
11/30/22 1:45 p.m.

Do window coverings count? 

These are some inexpensive Amazon curtains hung with arrows inadvertently sent over the fence by our next-door neighbor. (Finders, keepers, right?) The doors already had the hooks. 

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
11/30/22 1:53 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Love the arrows-as-curtain-rods idea. And that custom piece of Debbie Harry/"I eat [all your faves]" is cooler than cool.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/30/22 1:53 p.m.

I am liking this!!!

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
11/30/22 1:55 p.m.
914Driver said:

Yeah, I could definitely hang out here and read.

And nice plants. I think I'm going to do a post-your-plants post soon...

David S. Wallens
11/30/22 1:56 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I am liking this!!!

"Hello, children."

Chef used to live above our TV, back when TVs could fit inside a cabinet. When we (finally) upgraded to a modern, big TV, Chef came to live here in my office.  

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
11/30/22 1:59 p.m.

Charlie Stout photography.  Check him out.

https://www.charliestout.com/

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/30/22 2:30 p.m.

Our wedding photo has been hanging on the dining room wall for the past 20 years.

We hosted Thanksgiving this year, and shortly before the family arrived, I replaced it with this:

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
11/30/22 2:42 p.m.

Sorry if the last two blow the screen apart. 

I did these four about 7 years ago when we moved I to the farmhouse. There are a dozen more since then but these are my favorites. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/30/22 2:56 p.m.

In reply to Sarah Young :

I could and shouldn't cover a few pages of plants.  =~ (

However, meet Aeolus, God of wind.  I'd like to shave he inside of his eye balls to a thin layer and put red LED lights behind each.  Someone looks at it and I hit a button in y pocket and they light up; no one but the punked sees it.  =~ )

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/30/22 5:36 p.m.

No points for originality here.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
11/30/22 6:03 p.m.

The Mrs likes lions.

We liked this one at an art store.

not even sure where this one came from.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
11/30/22 6:05 p.m.

Cool print.

Art from a trip to Asheville (go to Asheville, it's a cool ass city).

Tropical feeling.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
11/30/22 6:08 p.m.

More nature photography.

Italy.  It's a very scenic place.

David S. Wallens
11/30/22 6:17 p.m.

And this hangs in front of me.

I bought the white Agent Orange skateboard while in high school. The blue one is fairly recent. The members of the band have signed both, and Mike has ridden the blue one. 

The GWAR and Agent Orange prints were screened in Orlando by Enemy Ink. The Agent Orange one is a signed artist proof. 

I got the Living Colour screened print at a show (VIP perk), and the band signed it. Then Vernon told us a long story involving an early Mustang, a Subaru BRAT and a friend climbing up a wall so he could ambush another buddy. Then Corey said that it was time to order dinner. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/30/22 6:20 p.m.

We mostly have art made by relatives.

My grandmother, Bitsey McAlexander, was a prolific Western landscape painter who operated a studio for 30 years. She painted exactly 2 paintings of anything else, and this is one of them. It was the test piece for a commission of a Star Trek painting.

Her sister Wanda was also a pretty decent and prolific painter, this is one of hers. I need to get it framed.

Mrs J's grandmother did this one, which has been in our dining room since moving in together. I love it. 

It sits opposite this canvas print of a famous old Ramos Pinto wine ad, and yes we are actually related!

Mrs. J has a few from her great grandmother including this little one.

This one

And this one that I really love.

Mrs. J is a good artist as well. This is one of hers. 

Her dad does woodworking art, he made her this one.

And finally our centerpiece! There was a similar and larger painting very similar to this in an antique store that I lusted for for 2 years. I asked the proprietor if the consignor would drop the price at all (because I really couldn't afford the $350 at the time) and she said that she had nearly the same painting hanging in her kitchen for 20 years and was tired of looking at it and she'd give it to me for $50. When she brought this in the next day I was gobsmacked! We've had it ever since. (If I do find the original one ever though, I will buy it!)

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/30/22 9:02 p.m.

This one hung in my old office for awhile, it's sitting against a wall in my current office

this one was painted as a housewarming present by an aquantance of my dads. It never really spoke to me so we haven't had it up for years. He later went on to be semi-famous for killing his BIL, the painter...not my dad.

And this one was also hanging in my old office but again....

I really need to frame and hang some stuff

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/30/22 11:18 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/30/22 11:41 p.m.

I have literally hundreds of paintings, and very little wall space. My dad was a classically trained portrait painter, specializing in horses and horse industry people. 

Here's a tiny sampling of what I have in the house. None of these artists are still living.

This was painted by my great grandmother in about 1880, at age 16.

These are a couple of my dad's paintings of thoroughbred horses, Regret, the first filly winner of the Kentucky Derby (1915) on the left, and Alysheba on the right. 

This is my dad's portrait of his life long friend and fellow artist, Maury Hurt. Three of Maury's paintings are next.

The History of the Horse in Art

Bahia Honda Bridge 

I took Maury fishing in my canoe, using a fly rod I had built for him (a side business of mine when I trained horses). He gave me this painting as a gift for that day, as well as this wonderful observation, "Look at the color of the sky, reflected off the bottom of the lake through the surface of the water." He had the most amazing vision, literally could see the stitching on a fastball when he played college baseball.

My brother's seascape (a breaking wave) and a portrait of a musician you might recognize.

A little painting I bought from an antique shop in North Carolina. Unsigned, I don't know anything about it but I like it. 

A still life, painted by my wife's aunt, Betty Lou Hubbard.

I have some photographs I could share, but they are all under glass and if I photographed them, you'll mostly get glare. This is what I'm mostly collecting now. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
12/1/22 7:55 a.m.

So Sarah, to answer your question,  it appears that we are all pretty fond of paintings.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/1/22 8:03 a.m.

Took a photo of the Enola Gay sketch that came with the house

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
McEPHIMq0oQS0s2HBSkxhf4FjLdCTKCgB7DbgoJYmfyXao9c1ZCKgYXJGfYhinjs