1 2
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/8/20 6:51 p.m.

None of the mid range Nokias from the past couple generations have optical image stabilization on their still cameras.  The 8 did, but the newer 8 Sirocco does not.  I'm way too shaky to be taking pictures without OIS.  I'm back on the Pixel bandwagon.

Error404
Error404 Reader
7/8/20 7:05 p.m.

I have a Nokia 6.1, the lack of bloat is nice and the metal frame feels nice when I take it out of the TPU "case". (otherwise my pocket stuff would scratch the everliving heck out of the thing) My digitizer crudded out on my morning commute today so I have no touchscreen ability but the parts and glue are $50 on amazonia and it's a single piece replacement. The camera is not great, if that kind of thing matters, and all the Nokia line has a pronounced camera bump, if that kind of thing matters. The 6.1 has the 18W quick charge feature that they dropped, for some inane reason, on the 6.2 and 7.2 when they reverted to 10W charging on the same chipsets. They also went "premium" glass backs on the newer ones and higher models, so that TPU case is gonna be a little more required if you're not of the dainty type. I'm kinda shaky with picture taking and mine generally turn out fine, I think the image stabilization is accomplished via software rather than hardware but I could easily be wrong. I am very content with the picture quality and audio quality, with the exception of the ear speaker that quick working last year but who calls anyone without an earbud or something nowadays so that is very minor for me.

If you're interested in the newer, multi-camera models it would probably pay to check out which ones have telephoto lenses. The 7.2 does not have a telephoto lens (the China-only 7 did) so if you live on Instergramm that might matter to you. I think they might also come with a dedicated Goggle listening agent button that is not remappable but can be disabled, if that matters to you. Oh, they all have 3.5mm jacks like a sensible device, for your wired listening needs. This is about the extent of my useful knowledge and, personally, I want to see more of the 6.1 design and less of the 6.2 design as glass is not a premium material unless you're eyeballing those sweet profit margins.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/8/20 7:32 p.m.

posting so I remember to come back here later when I have time. I had a oneplus 5t I really liked, but was on the way out. tried a galaxy s8 active, and got super annoyed at samsung's bs (stop trying to be the apple of android!) + stupid finger print reader, so I tried going back to a oneplus 6t since I really liked the 5t finger print reader especially. except they moved it to the front and put it under the screen. I was worried, but figured I'd give it a shot. it sucks. I understand having to try new things to make progress, but some stuff is just friggin figured out. Our hands haven't changed that much from apes. 

hmm, guess I'd been holding onto that. hah, sorry!

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/8/20 7:54 p.m.

Well my PRIV has rebooted on me 3 more times this afternoon, and just died once.  I was sending a text, had 56% battery, and then black screen.

I just ordered a refurbished Pixel 3a from eBay for a little more than I wanted to spend, but all of the reviews put it above everything else near its weight class.  The 3a got the axe earlier this month, current rumors for the 4a release is October, there'll likely be a flood of used Pixel 4 on the market then, but I can't wait that long.

I already have apprehensions, I know I'm going to miss my physical keyboard.  I wish Blackberry had continued with the PRIV form factor, I guess there just aren't enough of us to justify the cost.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/9/20 6:57 a.m.
bgkast (Forum Supporter) said:

I just had the screen on my Pixel 2 XL replaced. It took the guy 5 minutes working out of the truck of his car, so it can't be too hard. Looks like replacement screens can be had for $15 and instructions are on YouTube.

I've done one on another phone before and they are just glued on. I would have tried DIYing it on the pixel, but I had been paying for insurance for 2 years, so I figured I should use it.

Where? Am I looking at the right thing? I saw like $75.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/9/20 7:44 a.m.
tuna55 said:

I just had the screen on my Pixel 2 XL replaced. It took the guy 5 minutes working out of the truck of his car, so it can't be too hard. Looks like replacement screens can be had for $15 and instructions are on YouTube.

I've done one on another phone before and they are just glued on. I would have tried DIYing it on the pixel, but I had been paying for insurance for 2 years, so I figured I should use it.

Where? Am I looking at the right thing? I saw like $75.

I didn't find it that cheap, but found this for $35.

https://phoneremedies.com/products/pixel-2-xl-glass-screen-replacement-premium-repair-kit-6-0-black?variant=4735114903593&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgJv4BRCrARIsAB17JI6UlhUMnAVbt1DAOfRlXO6KY4LBuLyByKtYJgJGwR4je3MsejlgfEoaAllUEALw_wcB

Followed by the full set of instructions:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Google+Pixel+2+XL+Screen+Replacement/102774

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/9/20 8:38 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Hmmm, $35 and probably succeeding and then no waterproofing. I'm thinking about it. I wonder if I can fix the other issue while I'm in there (the charge port being sloppy). I'm not so sure.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
7/9/20 9:37 a.m.

the pixel 2 is dated enough that I would let it go.

I'm currently using a OnePlus 6t I bought on ebay for under 200, and its steps above any phone I use. the screen is big, beautiful, and USB C. don't buy anything without USB C. everything should be C. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/9/20 9:48 a.m.

I have a Pixel 2 that I bought new about 3 years ago and right now it's done.  The battery won't hold a charge for more than few hours and gets really hot when charging or when under heavy use (the GRM Zoom session on Tuesday killed it quick and I hd to plug in after maybe 15 min).  The screen cracked awhile ago and then I cracked the case when the phone went flying out of my bike case and sliding across the pavement.  I usually try to get 4 years out of my phones, but it looks like I won't this time.  I guess I'll see what the local Verizon store has after work today.  May as well take advantage of no sales tax in NH.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/16/20 8:44 a.m.

So the resolution is that since Tunawife is getting $1000 worth of pergola and bench swing for her birthday, and I still want a steering column for the truck, the right answer is "Use the Pixel 2 with the cracked screen and a $6 glass screen over it so you don't get splinters because a truck is more fun than a phone, and I like to stay current with my mortgage."

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
7/16/20 11:58 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I believe I still have a pixel 2 that bricked itself with a perfectly good screen. If you want you could experiment on that and see if you can get the good screen out. The screen removal is the hardest part though. They glue it in pretty good. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/16/20 12:41 p.m.

I'm on day 4 of being a Pixel 3a owner.  Google announced the 4a & 5 the day I got my used 3a.

eBay seller did good by me, I didn't get out a magnifying glass, but my "Very Good" condition 3a looked new when I got it.

It's nice having a phone that'll last past 9:30 in the morning without needing recharged, and doesn't randomly shut off, or self immolate.

I haven't used the camera any, I didn't set up the finger print deal, and really haven't explored much of the custom options.

Signal strength is great though, I'm getting 3 bars in areas my PRIV only got 1.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/16/20 1:00 p.m.

$15 screen here: https://www.amazon.com/MMOBIEL-Google-Pixel-6-0-Inch/dp/B07MDWWSDW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=pixel+2xl+screen+replacement&qid=1594920205&sprefix=pixel+2+xl+sc&sr=8-3

Looking at the reviews the $30 one might be the better value.

My charger port was also loose. Cleaning out all the gunk of the port with a pointy plastic toothpick and a new USB C charging cable fixed that issue.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/16/20 1:26 p.m.

My charger port was also loose. Cleaning out all the gunk of the port with a pointy plastic toothpick and a new USB C charging cable fixed that issue.

That did not help. I did try.

No worries though. I am good with the glass thing stuck on top.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
7/16/20 1:26 p.m.

In reply to bgkast (Forum Supporter) :

That's just the glass. Unless you have the machine to join the glass and screen together, that's not gonna work. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/3/20 7:28 p.m.

Looks like the Pixel 4a ships in two weeks. Pre-selling for $349

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Pixel-4a-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B08CFSZLQ4

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/3/20 8:42 p.m.
nderwater said:

That screen and that camera for $349? That thing is a steal.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/3/20 8:53 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
nderwater said:

That screen and that camera for $349? That thing is a steal.

Yeah, I think I'm going to order one. I'll probably wait until the 5 is released just to see what it's going to look like/features/cost.......but in reality the 4a does everything I need.

I'm not a "power user" or game with my phone or anything.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/20 9:26 p.m.
tuna55 said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Does your Pixel 2 still work? 

Sorry I missed this the first time around.  Yes.  Still works like a million bucks.  I had one issue a couple months ago with the battery which turned out to be a weather app that was causing crashes.  I thought maybe my battery was on its last legs, but it still lasts all day.  I usually go to bed with about 25% left.

I hate to get rid of it, but being on Google Fi and not having the support of the new bands that T-mobile is broadcasting, I'm finding that it doesn't get good service in some of my typical haunts.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zQGtXpZNnQINVuZnehlaITzwB07O7vAwEFmyf1IrPBn2LRuvCJdtLqYHmw5jOW4S