1 2 3
logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/10/22 6:55 p.m.

The question applies to anything really, for example a car or a house.

The previous owner of the house we just bought left this Murder Mattress just inside the edge of the woods by the shop.  Chock full of Eli Roth vibes!  Extra creepy points for the table a few feet away from it.  

What fun things did a previous owner leave you?

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/10/22 7:19 p.m.

Wiring with the ground cut off at the box.

10,000 old blinds and hangers

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/10/22 7:45 p.m.

Half-used jar of mayo. 

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
8/10/22 7:47 p.m.

One of these.  I still have it somewhere.

Lobsterpennies
Lobsterpennies Reader
8/10/22 7:58 p.m.

I find it interesting that in many houses I've seen that friends have bought or myself that the basement always has 50 generic white steel curtain rods either above the main support beam or in the X's between the floor joists. Oddly most of them are new old stock still in the packaging.

On cool things I've received left behind in one place we're a 15" home stereo subwoofer BSR (for those that remember that brand) and a 27 inch tube tv that had a faux woodgrain metal cabinet. This was 1992 and at my income bracket/age there was no way I could afford a TV that big haha.

I still have the subwoofer, wish I had the TV.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
8/10/22 7:59 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Half-used jar of mayo. 

I would look at it as a half new jar of mayo!

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/10/22 8:49 p.m.

A really expensive cutting board in a cabinet, never used, and a rotted out floor near a recently replaced patio door that was certainly known about but not disclosed.  I figure it was an even swap.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/10/22 8:51 p.m.

The separate garage happened to be built on top of the septic drain field. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/10/22 8:54 p.m.

Carefully tucked up on top of the kitchen cabinets: a pack of sheepskin condoms, a razor blade, and a few bar napkins with lewd stuff written on them. Ostensibly written by a woman to a man but my wife is convinced he wrote them himself due to the content and handwriting. I kind wish if preserved the napkins. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/10/22 9:33 p.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:
David S. Wallens said:

Half-used jar of mayo. 

Never look a gift mayo in the jar. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/10/22 10:00 p.m.

Old guy next door to me sold his house to young guy buying 1st house.  Okay if I leave a few boards and cans of paint the old guy asks?  Dude says no problem.

Guy moves in and orders a dumpster to 3/4 fill with the crap the old guy left.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
8/10/22 10:21 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Thats sort of the boat we are in.  I will be ordering in a dumpster at some point.  We filled almost half the garage with crap so far with things from the house.  There is tons of stuff outside, like Matty the Murder Mattress, that Im not even touching until the dumpster is here.  

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/10/22 10:24 p.m.

Not a lot of cool stuff left in purchased places but as a landlord I get a lot of stuff left behind.

For a few years I had a steady supply of CRT TV's. My kids love them for the old game consoles. I ended up with a ruptured bicep tendon moving a particularly heavy 32" tube TV. In the weird stuff department, I had a guy in his late 60's move out and leave a bunch of, um, "toys". The "dishwasher pull-start" was the worst... He had a few younger...female "friends" visit him regularly.

The most surprising thing happened this year when I guy packed a couple suit cases and moved to Arizona leaving me everything in his apartment. There was basically a complete work out room in his living room with two complete cable/weight multi station workout sets, a Schwinn stationary bike and a bunch on free weights. He also left me the keys to his Dodge Ram 50 and signed the title. I gave the truck away here on the forum.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/ram-50-free-to-bad-home/192034/page1/

The best part was he gave me about $300 above his security deposit because he felt bad about leaving the stuff in the apartment for me to clear out!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/10/22 10:25 p.m.

Yeah, it was interesting meeting the new neighbor who was slightly pissed off at the moving in process.   Welcome neighbor!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/10/22 10:28 p.m.

Found a box of wedding stuff from the former owners of my house. The former owners divorced, and the husband split when gentleman #2 entered the picture and she kept the place until she sold it. This was from the 1st wedding. I trashed it on their behalf after finding it about 8 years after we bought the place. 

Oh, and there's the random animal skull over the side door in the garage. I didn't dare disturb it. Still hanging there. Still freaking me out. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/10/22 11:04 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I seem to recall you guys did much better than that (in the context of this discussion) in one of your project MIatas. 

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
8/11/22 12:08 a.m.

So far I've found in 2 weeks;

Gum in the cupboards

Pans in the drawer under the oven

Apparently easter baskets in the attic (inspector found them, haven't been up there myself)

Brand new vanity top.

Random wood, cardboard, pallet, and other assorted goodies in the garage I haven't looked at yet

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
8/11/22 12:15 a.m.

Plasma TV hanging on the wall. It flickered, but after i opened it up and disconnected/reconnected all the ribbon cables a few times, it must have worn off the terminal corrosion and we had a free TV for 6 years, until the screen signal decoding board went wonky. They must have figured it wasn't worth the trouble getting it diagnosed/repaired.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/11/22 12:27 a.m.
Mndsm said:
David S. Wallens said:

Half-used jar of mayo. 

Never look a gift mayo in the jar. 

That is true. She also left us these two giant, all-wood bookshelves. They're here in my office, and I love them. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/22 12:41 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Half-used jar of mayo. 

I look at it as the jar is twice the size it needs to be.

I was left a fully functional table saw in the basement. It's still there 3 years later.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/11/22 5:48 a.m.

I found a very nice looking bong tucked into the dash wiring of a Mercedes I bought. 
the house I'm currently in had a case of furnace filters and about 1/2 dozen window screens left in the garage. Why weird?  The filters and screens don't fit the house. 

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
8/11/22 7:22 a.m.
DrBoost said:

I found a very nice looking bong tucked into the dash wiring of a Mercedes I bought. 
the house I'm currently in had a case of furnace filters and about 1/2 dozen window screens left in the garage. Why weird?  The filters and screens don't fit the house. 

Ahhh, but they might have at one time.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/11/22 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

The windows are original to the house, I don't think the HVAC is though. The bong definately wasn't oem LOL.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
8/11/22 8:41 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Oh, and there's the random animal skull over the side door in the garage. I didn't dare disturb it. Still hanging there. Still freaking me out. 

Im with you!  I was left 2, one on each side of the shed.  

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/11/22 8:51 a.m.

My first house, the previous owner left nothing.  Even took the light bulbs.  That family was a real prize to deal with.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4i7hGBNSrlMIWlXZbLh5X628I4NEPxDr6TxrGMz9KndI8xwe9qzTRQJLoX4OpS1b