oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
10/24/17 9:26 p.m.

Dad went to the local tire shop on Saturday morning (Louisville, KY) for a new set of shoes for his jeep. It didn't go well... Tech backed a different customer's new F150 into his Jeep on the rack.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/24/17 9:28 p.m.

I sense there is a tech in search of a job, insurance premiums are going to go up, and a lot of bodywork and a payout are going to occur

jstand
jstand Dork
10/24/17 9:30 p.m.

Ouchangry

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
10/24/17 10:30 p.m.

I hope that's ATF on the ground...

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
10/24/17 11:16 p.m.

Holy moly.  How high is the back end of an F-150? I'm assuming there was no-one under the Grand Cherokee at the time.  surprise

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
10/24/17 11:32 p.m.

Crunched a rear door, tweaked the rear gate, broke a wheel , damage to skid plate and mushroomed the shock mounts. I think a fair chance of some chassis damage as well. No word from an adjuster yet. Supposedly the fluids are from another car...

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
10/24/17 11:53 p.m.

In reply to oldtin :

If the fluids were from another car that might have been a foreboding sign.frown  The Jeep is pretty new and pricey but goodness it'll take a pretty penny to make it right or they'll write it off. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/25/17 7:27 a.m.

Considering how modern cars are put together, I wouldn't be shocked if it is totaled. The shock mount damage may be an indicator of a pushed up front end, which screws up the whole front crash structure.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
10/25/17 7:49 a.m.

Wow that sucks. I suspect they're going to write that one off unfortunately. It's going to be hard to positively identify everything that was damaged in an accident like that. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/25/17 10:18 a.m.

Guess it wasn't "Trail Rated."

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/25/17 10:42 a.m.

I would try to return the tires awaiting word if the car is totaled.  

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/25/17 11:04 a.m.

Check the roof pillars for signs of buckling. 

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
10/25/17 11:12 a.m.

Its highly likely it will be written off, even if it comes under the total loss rate for your state I doubt there would be many places that would take it and it.

Good luck and hopefully it ends up working out for them.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/25/17 1:31 p.m.

If I were the shop, I would not trust that lift again without a serious inspection

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
10/25/17 1:49 p.m.

Just the fact that they would put a car on the lift with the Valdez size spill there is enough to make me run from there.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
10/25/17 1:52 p.m.

Well, E36 M3. Sorry that happened to him. 

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
10/25/17 2:20 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Guess it wasn't "Trail Rated."

It's trail rated, just not drop rated. 

Its a 3rd car. Folks took off to Florida for the next six months. Still waiting on adjuster. Aggravating it wasn't the oldest in the fleet

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/25/17 2:20 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

Holy moly.  How high is the back end of an F-150? I'm assuming there was no-one under the Grand Cherokee at the time.  surprise

The height of the lift arms is close to that of a modern truck bed. 

But yeah, that is some E36 M3. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CRojS1qg2ANojEFWws7PghWHtqyBiAeuJXXiTr5eP9yH15gtWTHhPxjRXwrA0n90