XLR99
XLR99 Dork
4/7/20 6:25 p.m.

Here's the reason to panic:

Berkleytards like these people.  https://www.fox19.com/2020/03/31/butler-county-health-officials-plead-butler-co-church-stop-holding-in-person-services/

Mr KingRanchDriverBibleThumperMan needs to be held criminally and financially liable for all the new cases they just created.  And his 'church' used as a Covid hospital.  Disgusting...

I was in almost complete social isolation for a week (Not covid), people we know are dying and losing relatives, but these Medieval-thinking idiots feel free to do whatever the hell they want.

Edit to add, my neighbor, who is younger and healthier than me, was just taken out of the house on oxygen by an FD ambulance crew sporting N-95s.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/7/20 6:36 p.m.

I was just thinking about this as I drove past "The Best Damn Tacos" restaurant... they also have margaritas.  They can do tacos for takeout and delivery but not margaritas.  Then I get home and see this.  Now, they can!

It'd be a helluva lot better than the 40 proof diluted vodka/diluted rum that you can buy outside of state run stores... which are all closed.  You ever have 40 proof vodka?  It's like drinking bottled water that tastes a bit off.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/7/20 6:47 p.m.
XLR99 said:

Berkleytards like these people.  https://www.fox19.com/2020/03/31/butler-county-health-officials-plead-butler-co-church-stop-holding-in-person-services/

Mr KingRanchDriverBibleThumperMan needs to be held criminally and financially liable for all the new cases they just created.  And his 'church' used as a Covid hospital.  Disgusting...

Before I even clicked the link, I knew which church you were talking aboutangry.  You’d think the lightning hitting their statue would have been a hint.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/7/20 6:47 p.m.
rob_lewis said:
Marjorie Suddard said:
And now that I'm having to be moderated on the board I mod, I'm wondering: Is THIS the time to panic??

Margie

Time to look into automated patio concrete pouring?

Link if, for no other reason, that a great company name.

-Rob

If you think schwing is funny wait til you hear of their competition.... Putzmeister

4/7/20 6:48 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I was just thinking about this as I drove past "The Best Damn Tacos" restaurant... they also have margaritas.  They can do tacos for takeout and delivery but not margaritas.  Then I get home and see this.  Now, they can!

It'd be a helluva lot better than the 40 proof diluted vodka/diluted rum that you can buy outside of state run stores... which are all closed.  You ever have 40 proof vodka?  It's like drinking bottled water that tastes a bit off.

40 proof vodka?

I've had beers with more alcohol content

Indy-Guy (Forum Jock Strap)
Indy-Guy (Forum Jock Strap) PowerDork
4/7/20 7:07 p.m.

In reply to XLR99 :

While I'm not at all in favor of what that church is doing, I also don't want to live in a country that Forces churches to close.

Separation of church and state.

4/7/20 7:09 p.m.

People are still very argumentive online, stuff is getting to people.

I might be slightly egging it on for the lolz on other places than here.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
4/7/20 7:16 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy (Forum Jock Strap) :

Hi Indy-Guy,

Rather than forcing a closure, just lock everyone inside the church for 14 days and take their temperatures as a condition for leaving after the incubation period.

Doesn’t that satisfy individual rights and public safety at the same time?

Indy-Guy (Forum Jock Strap)
Indy-Guy (Forum Jock Strap) PowerDork
4/7/20 7:36 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

I'd actually be ok with that.

Seriously,  the best thing any pastor could do for his congregation now is to NOT have live in person gatherings.  Most of out local churches have gone digital,  However, meeting the spiritual needs of people right now is an essential service.  It should just be done with as much social distancing as possible.  That church is doing it wrong.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/7/20 7:45 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

40 proof vodka?

I've had beers with more alcohol content

If it is over 21% ABV, it has to be sold through a state run liquor store.  There are companies that sell diluted rotgut (it's pretty E36 M3) that sails under the limit so that it can be sold at convenience stores.

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
4/7/20 7:52 p.m.

Agreed.  This isn't a separation of church and state issue, its a public safety issue.  A pastor who is unwilling to protect his own congregation, not to mention everyone they come in contact with after church, is certainly not a man of God in my mind. 

This idiotic stunt probably just added several thousand unnecessary exposures for unwitting people in that area.  And if they believe that 'Jesus' blood' will protect them, I'm going to extrapolate that they're not doing any kind of handwashing or appropriate PPE use.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/7/20 7:57 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
XLR99 said:

Before I even clicked the link, I knew which church you were talking aboutangry.  You’d think the lightning hitting their statue would have been a hint.

Wait--Is this Big Butter Jesus church? Awesome.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/7/20 8:00 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:
eastsideTim said:
XLR99 said:

Indeed, it is.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/7/20 8:02 p.m.

Something that I need to keep in mind. 

Yes, I'm blessed to still have a job, that I can work full time from home, and get a good paycheck. but (from https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/working-remote-principles-few-things-keep-mind-during-m3-sweatt/)

I REALLY REALLY need to keep #3 under control. :(

Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/20 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) :

Number six is misleading. "Yay, we had to cut staff by 50%, but we didn't go bankrupt. Great success!" is a valid interpretation of success in this time. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/7/20 8:31 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:
eastsideTim said:

I always heard it was Touchdown Jesus.  Why is it called Big Butter?

What I find hilarious about that story is that there are people in that congregation too afraid to speak up about they way they feel the church is handling this.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/04/04/ohio-church-service-covid-19-pandemic-tuchman-pkg-ac360-vpx.cnn

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/7/20 8:39 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

You know the butter lamb for Easter? (The one someone inevitably lops the head off.)

Well, what does this look like? 

He's big. He's bad. He's buttery smooth.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/7/20 8:42 p.m.

John Prine just passed away. 

berkeley. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/7/20 8:46 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

You know the butter lamb for Easter? (The one someone inevitably lops the head off.)

Well, what does this look like? 

He's big. He's bad. He's buttery smooth.

Interesting.  I have never heard of this buttery lamb, and I don't see a resemblance to Jesus either.  Weird.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/7/20 8:53 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) :

Number six is misleading. "Yay, we had to cut staff by 50%, but we didn't go bankrupt. Great success!" is a valid interpretation of success in this time. 

.....yeah. That's driving my #3 as well. We're successful if we can carry the company through this season - and I'm confident we will. 

But I had a boss years ago, who every year would tell me it's a bit tougher this year, but we will get through this season. Only to find that the next one, and the one after that, are additional levels of stress, effort, and challenge. It hasn't stopped. 

I recognize that some of the stress, i put on myself. Probably the majority of it. 

#6 is intended to be comforting, but to me, much as with your interpretation, it's not. 

I have been shifting from 20-40% work from home to 60-80% over the past 6 months, so the adjustment is less for me. And yet. 

CJ (Forum Supporter)
CJ (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/7/20 9:02 p.m.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone going to church.  I also don't believe that someone who chooses to go to church *knowing* the situation should take a hospital bed from someone who was following the public health recommendations.  Choices and consequences.

I tempted to suggest that the church be turned into Escape From New York playground.  Except no Snake Plissken...

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/7/20 9:46 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

I always called him Touchdown Jesus because of his pose.

drainoil
drainoil Dork
4/7/20 10:27 p.m.

Also never heard of a butter lamb. The things you learn here!

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/7/20 11:08 p.m.

Mom always made a butter lamb, there are molds available. Folks would put all that great, traditional Easter food in a basket and take it to church to be blessed by the padre. Really was a big deal.

I really miss that now. 

03Panther
03Panther Reader
4/8/20 12:10 a.m.

In reply to Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)

Since I've always been "just the boob that pulls the wrenches", I've never had a job that could be worked from home. Although a few friends over the years have. From the view outside, I'm not understanding the difference in this? 

Working from home does have its problems, as well as benefits, and we all know its a crisis right now ( I hope! )

This is good for everyone, all the time. And, I think, most try.

On #5, I'm not always successful, but I always try! Unfortunately, the ones that don't, get very loud, and make those numbers seem like a larger percentage than the are.

Good words. Thanks.

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
d8PIhunKBM2MIUW5uUcyExLDLiJnrjtBUnME0eSgoE3v05ARj5zkecYyuNoH1YXa