1 2
dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
8/5/19 8:53 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Buy 1/8" bits by the gross, toss them when they wear out.  After drilling the 1/8" pilot hole, I've found it's much easier to step up.

Also, I swear by step drills.  Even the cheap ones from HF work great.  

I had wondered about this, I find that I perpetually have broken/dull smaller bits but I pre-drill everything with an 1/8".  I wasn't sure if there was some magic 1/8" bit that folks use or if I should just find a place that has some I like and buy a dozen to keep in my shop.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/5/19 9:24 a.m.

In reply to dclafleur :

Dewalt 1/8" bits are good.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/5/19 9:24 a.m.

I have two sets of drill bits. 

A cheap set that gets abused and resharpened on the grinder or pitched, depending on size. Those are used to blow holes through rusty stuff and non critical holes. They are also the ones that other people get to use when they are working in my shop. 

I also have two very good indexes that stay in a locked drawer. They are pulled out for critical holes and they are very well taken care of. One is 1/16-1/2 by 64ths. One is a number drill set. Both are by Irwin. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/5/19 9:55 a.m.

When I need a complete index again I will go with Irwin.

The Dewalt index I just retired was purchased in 1996, when I bought my first house.  It served me well through 4 houses, 4.5 Challenge builds, and all the other uses over those 23 years.  No complaints from me on any Dewalt tool I’ve ever owned.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
8/9/19 7:57 a.m.

I dropped Mini Me off at Grandpas house this morning, and look what he gave me. He bought these at an estate sale for $1 each. Now I have a complete set to go with my assortment of crap bits! Maybe I will get a drill press and start doing it right. 

Because of this thread, I already bought a center punch and cutting fluid. I’m going to try not drilling at 1000,0000 rpm too!

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
8/9/19 8:36 a.m.

Nice score! Number and letter drill bits are essential for tapping and reaming operations.  You will probably find them less useful for general poke a hole and put a fastener through it work as they tend to be either over or undersized for fractional fasteners.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/9/19 2:05 p.m.

update:  dang, sharp new bits with cutting fluid and low speed kicked ass!   can recommend Milwaukee Cobalt bits at least for initial bite.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
8/9/19 2:58 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Berk yeah red tools!

travellering
travellering HalfDork
7/13/20 11:23 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

To add to my previous comment, I heard or read somewhere that the hole diameter should be no more than twice the previous hole.  In other words, you start with the 1/8" bit, then go to a 1/4", then 1/2", etc until you hit the final hole size, whatever you want it to be.  

Or, for the big stuff, use a hole saw.  

What is actually needed is a hole just bigger than the web (bit in the middle of the drill's face between the cutting surfaces).  This bit of the drill is where most of the resistance to cutting comes in.  Too large a pre-drill and the drill can just chatter around and ovalize your hole.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
7/13/20 11:39 a.m.

what do you use for  cutting fluid  ?

I am always amazed at the holes they drill in the Binky You tube Videos , they make it look so easy !

what RPM is best and do you push down on the drill or ????

Thanks

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
7/13/20 12:19 p.m.

I've gone through a few cans of Relton A-9. It's made for drilling and tapping aluminum but it works on steel too. Best of all it has a pleasant smell and doesn't stink like burned transmission fluid like some of the others I've used.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
7/14/20 2:43 p.m.

What are the primary differences in drill bits used for carpentry and those used for metal? 

I tend to buy these indexes with multiple styles and coatings, and in the end I'm left with some big bits I rarely use and a bunch of broken or dull bits that suck for drilling pilot holes on woodworking projects. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/14/20 3:09 p.m.

huot still makes drill indexes in st. paul  https://www.huot.com/products/product-category/drill-tap-reamer-indexes/

and

viking still makes bits a short drive away.. http://www.vikingdrill.com/  (Same company as Norseman)

Also 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/14/20 4:50 p.m.

Back to the 1/8" bit discussion from last year- Most body shop supply houses have double ended 1/8 bits, used for starting on spot welds.  They tend to be pretty sharp, and reasonably priced, and they often come in an envelope of ten, giving you 20 cutting ends.  When one end gets dull, drive it into the grinder so its obviously dull, and when the other end goes, use it for a nail to hang a small tool on the wall.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tqvwF1Isiij8CMoCeIAdzZCoI5PidT0hVAoexISEfEsEWcno5ggRDRCVZzhBiaL9