1 2
Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
10/5/19 11:29 a.m.

In a museum.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
10/5/19 11:42 a.m.

In the garage, with a bunch of other stuff that I also need to throw out.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
10/5/19 12:09 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Legit surprised any one even uses a desktop any more unless you need the computing power for gaming, CAD, or rendering.  I got rid of my last desktop a while ago and replaced it with a Thinkpad (which is still i7, SSD, 16GB RAM, dedicated video card, full keyboard) and a dock for when I want a full size computer experience, and keep everything on a little NAS that doubles as my KODI server.

I do have a desktop at work but it is a special built CAD machine by BOXX and costs as much as a lightly used Civic.  Wouldnt have it if I didn't need it.

What dock do you use?  I'm really disappointed in newer laptop "docks" which are basically just big USB/USBC/Thunderbolt hubs, and not port-replicators like the old docks are.

My biggest issue with laptop use isn't power, its that the keyboard & monitor experience blows.  I only run dual 24" monitors at work and going to a laptop feels like someone poked out an eye and broke 8 of my fingers.  At home I only have a single 35" 21:9, but the feeling is similar.  If I am going to create a desk for the 'full computer' experience, then I have no need to bother with the laptop.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/5/19 12:09 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Legit surprised any one even uses a desktop any more unless you need the computing power for gaming, CAD, or rendering....

Wow.  I've never used a laptop that didn't feel like a low-rent excuse for a computer.  I think it's primarily the keyboard and lack of a mouse that just doesn't work for me.  My kids both have laptops for school, and there's one or two laying around, but if I pick it up and try to do something simple, I get frustrated with the ergonomics and put it down and go upstairs and get on a real computer.

I could totally see a laptop if it needs to be portable, but in my case, it doesn't.  I've got no use for a laptop.

CJ
CJ HalfDork
10/5/19 11:28 p.m.

Regardless of what room you put your desktop in, don't put it on the floor.  I was responsible for the maintenance of several thousand systems and the ones that were located on the floor always ended up being vacuum cleaners and were always full of filth.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/6/19 7:47 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

I agree it's not ideal, but often there is no viable alternative to floor placement.  It does necessitate frequent cleaning, however. 

Unfortunately, most people aren't going to know/do that.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/6/19 7:47 a.m.

In reply to pheller :

I recycled it and keep a laptop by the bed for paying bills and doing tuning/vinyl/racecar stuff.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/6/19 8:07 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
93gsxturbo said:

Legit surprised any one even uses a desktop any more unless you need the computing power for gaming, CAD, or rendering.  I got rid of my last desktop a while ago and replaced it with a Thinkpad (which is still i7, SSD, 16GB RAM, dedicated video card, full keyboard) and a dock for when I want a full size computer experience, and keep everything on a little NAS that doubles as my KODI server.

I do have a desktop at work but it is a special built CAD machine by BOXX and costs as much as a lightly used Civic.  Wouldnt have it if I didn't need it.

What dock do you use?  I'm really disappointed in newer laptop "docks" which are basically just big USB/USBC/Thunderbolt hubs, and not port-replicators like the old docks are.

My biggest issue with laptop use isn't power, its that the keyboard & monitor experience blows.  I only run dual 24" monitors at work and going to a laptop feels like someone poked out an eye and broke 8 of my fingers.  At home I only have a single 35" 21:9, but the feeling is similar.  If I am going to create a desk for the 'full computer' experience, then I have no need to bother with the laptop.

I have one of the big docks.  Forget what model it is, but its the full dock for a full-size thinkpad.  Agree on the sentiment that some laptonps are low-rient.  I love the portabilitty of my little ASUS I got from work but for anything besides emails and word docs it chokes up and the keypad is sub-optimal.  I don;t like lugging my fullsize thinkpad around too often but it is nice for occasional couch derping or garage use.  Oftentimes I just .use my work laptop if I just need a quick "better than phone" experience.

GVX19
GVX19 HalfDork
10/6/19 8:34 a.m.

In reply to pheller :

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/6/19 9:12 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Exactly right. I do light graphic work and some PC gaming. I find buying whatever hot rod ASUS laptop is out there when I need one is the most effective. Truth be told, my phone does 85% of what I need. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/6/19 9:45 a.m.

I keep mine to the left and the right of my convertible (sitting/standing) cat perch, err, desk.

Plus assorted laptops on top of the desk.

I generally prefer desktops - I'm a keyboard snob out of necessity (old nerve injury in my arm) and laptop keyboards are problematic for me to varying degrees. I also suck at typing on phones and tablets. Plus, I don't like the lack of upgradability and repairability you get with most of the more portable devices.

underpowered
underpowered Reader
10/6/19 6:48 p.m.

In the office...inside here.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yDCs5zAv5hvbvYUdXEhWdHuh2vE9eSrJYoccejm3Gs9i9HL9PMTsWRepUFBwqBPe