jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
4/14/14 10:40 p.m.

hello. this isn't so much a 'wanted' ad, more of a 'source requested' question. i need parts to finish my 91 miata repair. i got forced off a country road and quickly found a mailbox, a stop sign, and then a concrete culvert. the suspension has been repaired, and i found a door and all of the interior is now really nice, but i need body work.

im hoping GRM has a source for both fenders, both bumper covers, and the tail light/license tag panel. i need mirrors too, but im not sure i fi want custom ones or OEM. the parts dont have to be perfect, just useable/easily fixable. my fenders are gouged beyond repair, and the ABS bumper covers are split and too far mangled to try and straighten up. the rear panel is simply not there.

i have everything else fixed, the thing runs like a top, handles like a go-kart (duh, miata), and in general is badass. but i have taken everything crumpled off the car to deal with some very minor rust and make sure everything gets properly undercoated and sealed before i reassemble. which i cant do until i find some parts.

ebay has what i need (sort of), to the tune of about $1200 all said and done. i don't have that much in the car...craigslist was a bust, at least within 100 miles of me.

i need the help of the mighty GRM. moar miata body please?

thanks, i hope you can help.

-J0N

EvanR
EvanR Dork
4/14/14 11:03 p.m.

car-part.com

kylini
kylini Reader
4/14/14 11:07 p.m.

Pretty much your best source for part info is your local Spec Miata guys. Around here, that's Tom Kraft (Des Moines) and Blake @ BTDTRacing (Wisconsin). There's a ton of Miata-specific online salvagers down south too. A location would be helpful!

I'm going through the same fun with my '99. Rewiring my battery after a fire is gonna be... fun...

Good luck with yours!

jmthunderbirdturbo
4/14/14 11:59 p.m.

oh, yes, location would help, huh? 43064, just north of columbus, OHIO.

car-part looks promising.

EDIT-just looked at BTDTRacing. looks very promising. i emailed them with a wishlist. thanks.

-J0N

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
4/15/14 7:02 a.m.

Planet Miata is another source. Located in Pa.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
4/15/14 7:10 a.m.

BTDT Racing is great, I have ordered from them before. I think there are some part-outs on craiglist currently, might want to check the auto parts section in columbus, dayton etc.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/15/14 7:54 a.m.

In my experience, the front fenders and bumper are the least likely to survive a crash - and Spec guys need them.

Look into the Mazda Motorsports contingency program. The price of body parts is really good. You might have to do a few autocrosses to meet their requirements, but it's not like that's a hardship.

jmthunderbirdturbo
4/15/14 6:23 p.m.

emailed planet miata as well, thanks.

craigs-lost netted me a door, headlight cover, interior stuff, and exhaust from a guy in akron. the rest either isn't there, or isn't local enough to matter.

i had ZERO luck finding "Tom Kraft (Des Moines)". any more info?

Keith, MazdaMotorsports is no real help to me, i dont race... :(

-J0N

kylini
kylini Reader
4/15/14 6:38 p.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: i had ZERO luck finding "Tom Kraft (Des Moines)". any more info?

I don't think he ships. He owns Kraft 5-Star Muffler, which is basically a muffler shop stuffed to the gills with Spec Miatas. He doesn't have a website. He's DMVR's local treasure.

1400 Army Post Rd Des Moines, IA 50315 (515) 287-3007

Figure out who races in your SCCA division and you might find your local gold-hoarder.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/15/14 7:47 p.m.

Get on the Ohio Miata Owners Facebook page. There's more than one guy on there parting out cars. One of them is south side of Columbus IIRC.

jmthunderbirdturbo
4/15/14 7:50 p.m.
kylini wrote:
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: i had ZERO luck finding "Tom Kraft (Des Moines)". any more info?
I don't think he ships. He owns Kraft 5-Star Muffler, which is basically a muffler shop stuffed to the gills with Spec Miatas. He doesn't have a website. He's DMVR's local treasure. 1400 Army Post Rd Des Moines, IA 50315 (515) 287-3007 Figure out who races in your SCCA division and you might find your local gold-hoarder.

i did find a muffler shop under that name, guess i was closer than i thought. thanks.

i don't have any contact with the SCCA or any other racing/enthusiast club. i just happen to own their favorite car.

Edit-requested to join ohio miata owners FB page. again, thanks all.

-J0N

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/15/14 7:59 p.m.

In reply to jmthunderbirdturbo: The guy in Columbus parting out Miatas is Darren Fimple @ Midwest Miata Parts LLC..

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/15/14 8:27 p.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: emailed planet miata as well, thanks. craigs-lost netted me a door, headlight cover, interior stuff, and exhaust from a guy in akron. the rest either isn't there, or isn't local enough to matter. i had ZERO luck finding "Tom Kraft (Des Moines)". any more info? Keith, MazdaMotorsports is no real help to me, i dont race... :( -J0N

You don't race NOW. It would be an excuse to run a couple of autocrosses. Heck, they'd probably pay for themselves.

jmthunderbirdturbo
4/15/14 8:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: emailed planet miata as well, thanks. craigs-lost netted me a door, headlight cover, interior stuff, and exhaust from a guy in akron. the rest either isn't there, or isn't local enough to matter. i had ZERO luck finding "Tom Kraft (Des Moines)". any more info? Keith, MazdaMotorsports is no real help to me, i dont race... :( -J0N
You don't race NOW. It would be an excuse to run a couple of autocrosses. Heck, they'd probably pay for themselves.

yeah, i dont race cause i dont want to. i am simply completely un-interested. sorry...

i found Midwest miata as well, thank you so very much fellas! still looking though, any links or info is appreciated.

-J0N

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
4/15/14 8:43 p.m.
Don49 wrote: Planet Miata is another source. Located in Pa.

Unrelated, but I just wanted to say I drove by there last week!! It's 10 minutes from my house and I never even knew it, now I just need a miata to take advantage of this

jmthunderbirdturbo
4/15/14 8:45 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote:
Don49 wrote: Planet Miata is another source. Located in Pa.
Unrelated, but I just wanted to say I drove by there last week!! It's 10 minutes from my house and I never even knew it, now I just need a miata to take advantage of this

i will have a fairly nice, low option 91 5 speed for sale in about a month. or now if you want it missing the parts im looking for...

-J0N

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
4/15/14 8:59 p.m.

Shot you a pm. I'm in Cincinnati and parting out two 94's.

jmthunderbirdturbo
4/15/14 10:04 p.m.

that email doesnt work. email me here:

jon

mol

ler

AT

GM

AIL

KOM

(trying to be spam proof...)