AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/4/22 3:52 a.m.

So... I like many who have come before me hold a fondness for the simplest hardest working tool on my toolbox. The humble 1-2-3 block. Somehow it's always useful.

When I picked up a set for myself I splurged and got a TiN coated set. They are beautiful. 

Does the coating make them work better. Nope, not at all. But if one of my coworkers "borrows" them, I can tell. From across the shop.

Recently one of my coworkers commented on how neat they looked and then went out and bought his own pair of coated blocks.

well berk.

So the question is this. Does anybody have a line on fashion oriented 1-2-3 blocks? A set in that oil slick finish would be neat.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
3/4/22 6:04 a.m.

Time to get a set in carbon fiber or ceramic

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
3/4/22 10:21 a.m.

I'll play the fool here and ask - what are they for?

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
3/4/22 10:33 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

I'll play the fool here and ask - what are they for?

There are a million uses for them, from set-up of a part to measuring and anything you can think of. They can even help you when machining, as in cutting new jaws.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
3/4/22 10:34 a.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

For setting up a machining operations. The blocks are exactly 1" thick, 2" wide, and 3" long. Hence the name "1-2-3" blocks. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/4/22 12:53 p.m.

They work great for squaring up corners and 90s for plastic models.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
3/4/22 2:05 p.m.

How about These? Not any super sexy surface finish, but they are not going to be mistaken for someone else's or raw stock...

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
3/4/22 2:56 p.m.

You could team up with a blacksmith and make some damascus steel 1-2-3 blocks

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S6BqwfhJv6wsjPle2fCOhMF65FlIcCZ4IHyWKTtUuw3qZOMwj7srslewLFkoOG7l