Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
9/10/18 12:23 a.m.

I know the main answer is buy the one you like the best, but I was curious if anyone had any opinions about these or any similar ones worth looking at.

I have tried this particular model and it was the only stratocaster I have picked up that I liked at all Strat 

I have tried this one also and I liked it.  Jazzmaster

I haven't tried any of these 3 but I have tried more expensive models of the same style and I liked them too. 

Telecaster

Jaguar 1

Jaguar 2

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername HalfDork
9/10/18 12:54 a.m.

Thats like asking us what car is best for you and listing a geo metro, a ford excursion and Chevy luv lol. Thats kind of an eclectic mix of styles, although i can tell you like Fenders.

What style of music? Im a pretty big fan of HB Tele Customs but the older squier version is better than any fender or newer squier ones ive played.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/10/18 1:00 a.m.

Out of the ones you linked, I would personally go with the surf jag.

I personally wouldn’t pay more than $300 for any Squire, and I say that even though one of the best electric guitars I’ve ever played was a squire. 

I also dislike maple fretboards compared to ebony and rosewood. No reason, I just do. And I dislike the Strat shape, despite owning 2 strats. 

Buy what you like. Pick them up and play them all. Ive loved the sound of almost  every les Paul I’ve played. Hated actually playing one. They just don’t feel right in my hands. Don’t be afraid to look used, and don’t be afraid to branch outside of fender. Check out Reverend guitars, as well as G&L (the “L” is for Leo Fender, although in general I’d rather have a fender). I’d find a good local store instead of guitar center too. Find one with a good luthier shop and they’ll probably set it up for you, which at this price point is critical.

Also At this price point, you’re going to get some guitars that are worth it, some that are duds, and some that you’re sure they put the wrong price tag on. I have a $200 Epiphone that sounds as good as a $800 Martin. It’s also the 5th $200 Epiphone I’ve owned, and probably the 9th $200 Guitar I’ve owned. Only one I’d ever say that about, most are just a cheap guitar—and I have lived with a lot more guitars than would ever be considered reasonable. My point is, play them all, and if you buy it and it isn’t right, but something else and sell the wrong one. Out of over 60 guitars I’ve either owned or could have bought from my dad, I regret only letting two get away. 

Also, didn’t look at country of manufacture, but despite the advances or recent years I would still say the following as a general guideline: 

USA>Canada>Japan>Korea>>Mexico>>>China>Taiwan>>>>>>>>>Indonesia/India 

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
9/10/18 2:10 a.m.

I only started learning to play a bit over a year ago, but I have learned just enough for it to be definitely noticeable to pick up and play a better guitar than the ones I have (several cheap ones from craigslist that together cost significantly less than any one guitar that I linked).  I probably wouldn't buy from guitar center but they have probably 10 times the selection of any other stores i have seen so at least for trying them its good.  After trying a bunch of different guitars I couldn't really tell much difference between the red Jazzmaster or the blue Stratocaster and other way more expensive versions, I haven't been in a store that has had a good selection of Jaguars though.  I have tried a few more expensive ones and even one of those wasn't very good so I'd be afraid to buy a cheaper one without being able to try it first.  

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
9/10/18 7:56 a.m.

I have a Strat and a Jazzmaster.  I like Jazzmasters better, but a Strat is like the Swiss Army Knife of electric guitars.  It will do just about everything you need until you figure out if/how it's limiting you.  Everybody makes parts that fit Strats.  Spend your money on pickups, a good setup, and a nice amp.  The appearance is secondary.  An easy-to-play instrument that sounds good is what you want.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/10/18 7:57 a.m.

If it were me, out of that selection, I'd probably get the Strat. HSS Strats are versatile, and will do most of whatever you would want to do with one. They are easy to upgrade (see my recent post in the guitar and bass thread) and good all-around guitars. 

That said, I'd play even more things and see if you like them. Don't count out used stuff, either. I have 11 stringed instruments right now and only one of them was bought new. And just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's better. I recently played a $3000 Gibson that was outclassed in just about every way by a $249 ESP LTD copy of that Gibson. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/10/18 8:17 a.m.
Tk8398 said:

I only started learning to play a bit over a year ago, but I have learned just enough for it to be definitely noticeable to pick up and play a better guitar than the ones I have (several cheap ones from craigslist that together cost significantly less than any one guitar that I linked).  I probably wouldn't buy from guitar center but they have probably 10 times the selection of any other stores i have seen so at least for trying them its good.  After trying a bunch of different guitars I couldn't really tell much difference between the red Jazzmaster or the blue Stratocaster and other way more expensive versions, I haven't been in a store that has had a good selection of Jaguars though.  I have tried a few more expensive ones and even one of those wasn't very good so I'd be afraid to buy a cheaper one without being able to try it first.  

On an electric, a LOT of the noticeable difference that you feel is going to come down to set up. If the neck is good, it can be ALL of the difference. Where are you located?

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername HalfDork
9/10/18 9:16 a.m.

In reply to Tk8398 :

If you are just looking for a guitar without a specific purpose in mind i recommend you just go to a few guitar stores and buy the guitar that you like best. It really comes down to personal feel

Like mtn said, setup is huge and price doesnt always correlate to how good the instrument is. I regularly play sub $300 and sub $200 guitars in my band, because that particular guitar fits my purposes best

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/10/18 3:08 p.m.

In that price range, I'd budget $300 or so for a used Mexican Fender that's been properly setup. I paid $325 for my 2001 Tele--totally happy with it. Figure when/if it's time to sell, I shouldn't lose much. (Also, yes, my office is kinda cluttered.)

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/10/18 3:23 p.m.
ThatsNoUsername said:

In reply to Tk8398 :

If you are just looking for a guitar without a specific purpose in mind i recommend you just go to a few guitar stores and buy the guitar that you like best. It really comes down to personal feel

I agree with this. I was picking up my son's guitar after some warranty repair work and while waiting I had a look at just about everything they had in stock. I ended up playing an Ibanez that I would never have looked at normally, but it was the best feeling guitar I've ever had in my hands.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/10/18 3:35 p.m.
Suprf1y said:
ThatsNoUsername said:

In reply to Tk8398 :

I agree with this. I was picking up my son's guitar after some warranty repair work and while waiting I had a look at just about everything they had in stock. I ended up playing an Ibanez that I would never have looked at normally, but it was the best feeling guitar I've ever had in my hands.

Since I play almost all acoustic, I generally am never impressed by Ibanez. I just have a low opinion of them; in general their acoustics are just laminate boxes--and that is where my opinion comes from. I am always surprised when I pick up one of their electrics, which seem to be "good" at worst. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/10/18 4:01 p.m.

That Surf Green Jag is hawtness.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EcpEEbIZFbdPCIyORhqFBpv7UkPm4sv9DXSWZOJoFDZcZkMAfOcoPzCwKSVLjQge