1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/5/19 11:49 a.m.

Looking at new toolboxes to replace the array of mismatched crap and consilidate.

Would you buy the 26" or  the 44"

Top box for the 22" seems to have more drawers

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
1/5/19 11:57 a.m.

My vote is for the top one..

codrus
codrus UltraDork
1/5/19 11:57 a.m.

I have a 44.  When in doubt, always buy the bigger toolbox. :)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
1/5/19 12:06 p.m.

I bought the 26", but that was mainly because of where I wanted to put it. If you have the space, get the bigger one.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/5/19 12:19 p.m.

If I was buying new I’d go with the 44” and put a piece of plywood on top for a work surface.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/5/19 12:44 p.m.

I have the 26, plus their top box.  Very happy with it. I think if you have the space and money, go for the big one.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/5/19 1:03 p.m.

i'd love either one but getting it down the narrow stairwell to the apt. basement would be a bitch.  heavy boogers obviously.  more incentive to find a cheap urban lot and build a garage.  smiley

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
1/5/19 1:10 p.m.
Wally said:

If I was buying new I’d go with the 44” and put a piece of plywood on top for a work surface.

Or a butcher block top 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
1/5/19 1:36 p.m.

I personally have the one on the right.  The one on the left is the quality you would expect from HF... not so great but fine.  The 44" one on the right is really a world-class box.  I'm very happy with it.

I topped mine with some leftover solid bamboo flooring as a work surface.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/5/19 1:47 p.m.

44+ wood work surface 

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
1/5/19 1:51 p.m.

I have had the older, not as deep 44. I currently have two 26's and a 56.

I vote 44 if it is your main box. It is a fantastic value and beats every box in its price range in almost every category. It is also a great mobile work bench. 

I like the new drawer layout on the 44. Mine had a giant narrow drawer that was useless as much more than a catchall. 

The 26 inch boxes with the 44 side cabinet makes makes for a great wall bank type layout

Once you get up to the 56 and larger boxes the main drawback is the crap plastic latches. Other than that they are good 

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
1/5/19 2:05 p.m.

If you get the top one, here's a slightly better coupon 

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
1/5/19 2:07 p.m.

I have both the older 44 and the newer 26. Really, it depends how much you're trying to store and size of each group of tool.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/5/19 2:40 p.m.

I have the 26" tool box set. I have since overflowed into two other tool cabinets. Get the biggest one you can afford. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
1/5/19 2:55 p.m.

Do you have a Menards within a reasonable proximity?  If yes, I'd go there and buy the Masterforce 46" for $450.

Masterforce® 46" Green 11-Drawer Mobile Tool Cabinet

My main box is the Masterforce 36", SWMBO got me for Christmas in ~2011.  I looked long and hard at HF, but liked the drawer latches on the Masterforce better.

Menards is probably the thing I miss the most since we left Ohio.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/5/19 6:54 p.m.

Does anyone a better coupon for the 44" ?   I see on hfqpdb that they have been as slow as 349

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/5/19 7:17 p.m.

I just consolidated my 2 26 inch bottoms and one top into a 44 inch bottom. Still have 2 26 inch tops but it made for a much cleaner look in my garage. Cant comment on the quality because mine aren't HF brand but at this point I'd always go for the bigger box 

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
1/5/19 9:04 p.m.

I was looking at them last weekend and really liked the quality for price of the 44". 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
1/5/19 9:14 p.m.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-46-in-16-Drawer-Steel-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Cabinet-Set-Textured-Red-and-Black-Matte-48-22-8510-8520/306136151

Milwaukee donated 2 of these to our school shops.

Excellent quality, if I was in the market, I would buy one without any hesitation. Can't beat the price.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/5/19 10:10 p.m.

44 and a 26 on top. The more horizontal surface you have the more junk clutters it up.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/5/19 10:26 p.m.

I want the 26 so I can easily roll it around vehicles in the shop to use as a service cart. I think the 44 would just be too big to work that way.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
1/6/19 7:42 a.m.

After about 25 years of using a top and bottom box combo, I went with a large bottom box only setup. Having that top work surface is perfect and it's why you see professional shops full of large bottom boxes with worktops or hutches and not top boxes . If you allow it to get cluttered up with stuff, that's a whole different problem. 

And, it's not number of drawers that matters. It's usefulness of drawers. I'd rather have one good sized drawer than three smaller ones that are only good for holding pens and pencils.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
1/6/19 2:24 p.m.

I've had the 46" Husky 9 drawer bottom for 4 years now and love it.  Cheaper than the HF one and has larger drawers for the big tools.  Unless you need a bunch of little drawers why pay more for the same sized box.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-9-Drawer-Mobile-Workbench-with-Solid-Wood-Top-Black-7440946R/206839475

Kramer
Kramer Dork
1/6/19 5:31 p.m.

Either way, remove the logo and replace it with a car emblem of your choice.  It'll add value and cool factor.  

wawazat
wawazat Reader
1/6/19 5:32 p.m.
SaltyDog said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-46-in-16-Drawer-Steel-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Cabinet-Set-Textured-Red-and-Black-Matte-48-22-8510-8520/306136151

Milwaukee donated 2 of these to our school shops.

Excellent quality, if I was in the market, I would buy one without any hesitation. Can't beat the price.

Costco had a virtually identical box except it was black wrinkle coat, a couple of years back.  Family bought it for me for Christmas.  It's been great.  Highly recommended!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iKKEUUQJLrGgWjFhD37FAChpObUA2EMJDdQnvdfTGelkPWpaWt6iFBgG9sh15L5A