1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
11/7/19 8:26 a.m.

How much emphasis do you put on photos and video quality?

I use an Essential PH-1 for work and it does most things very well, plus it runs stock Android and gets Android security updates every month. My main gripe is that the camera is OK and takes decent pictures, but given a choice between my iPhone X and the PH-1, I'll use the former for video and photography. Other than that I've been extremely happy with this phone and it does come unlocked out of the box.

That said, I'd probably look at getting a slightly used one (which is what I ended up doing).

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
11/7/19 8:08 p.m.

Good question about the camera. I'm looking at camera quality as part of the decision. It doesn't have to be the best, just up to the current standards.

And no, not going to even consider any Apple products.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
11/8/19 9:23 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Didn't mean to make this sound like a recommendation for Apple, I just don't have an Android based baseline for better photo quality that I can compare the PH-1 with.

If photo quality (and especially video quality) is an important consideration to you, I'd pass on the PH1. One other phone to look at for appearantly really good photo quality and especially video is the Sony Xperia 1 if you can live with the slightly odd form factor. I'm actually considering that as a replacement for the PH1 for that reason.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/29/19 4:41 p.m.
Javelin said:

Do not get a Pixel. Google updated the software when the 4 dropped and now my 3 and the GF's 2 have been POS's. I can't wait to get rid of this piece of malware crap and go back to a Galaxy.

Update: Turns out that my phone was one of the first Pixel 3's made (manufactured February 2019), which makes sense because I got like the day after it launched. Somewhere early on they changed some internal hardware and all of the 3's made after that work fine on Android 10, and the early one do not. Google availed me if this knowledge and replaced my phone free of charge. The new phone is a November 2019 manufacture. It works perfectly, no more issues.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
11/29/19 9:39 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Thanks for the update. I still haven't made a decision.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
11/29/19 10:35 p.m.

Be warned if you use an unlocked phone for Verizon service some things don't work.

"Visual"  voicemail is one.

Suddenly my phone quit displaying voice mails and I had to manually call in to get my messages.

Verizon: - You are using an unsupported phone

Me: - It worked before you pushed out that update.......

Verizon: - We're really sorry

Me: - A Moto G4 is unsupported? *Boggle*

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
11/29/19 10:53 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

Oh, that just sucks. Maybe I need to abandon the idea.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/1/19 10:15 a.m.

If you're sticking with Verizon I wouldn't even factor in unlocked vs Verizon phone. If some big drastic change did happen you would be fine. Used Verizon phones are easy to sell on Swappa with strong resale value. Pixel 4 seems to be a dud. I think you would be happy with a Pixel 3a and they're on sale for $250 right now.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uhcfXPuXBsLTJbO4eNfUJedFomQo7cFH5Pvr7Iv6jD8CGkUK9GkrzcMK7BhTkGfv