1 2
RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
12/6/22 5:01 p.m.

Hive,

I need to get a $25 white elephant gift for a Christmas co-worker party (all engineers BTW).

I get the concept of white elephant gifts but I dislike the idea of wasting resources on something that has no practical use.

Any help identifying something that's both in the spirit of a white elephant gift but isn't frivolous would be much appreciated.

I thought about dropping by Good Will to create random opportunities but I don't want people to think I just grabbed something I had lying around. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/6/22 5:20 p.m.

Can't be of service here, as I never participate in them. I get the whole "it's fun to have a gift exchange" or whatever. But everyone is buying $25 to give something to someone else, like you said, that will likely never be used or be thrown away. 

Folgers
Folgers Reader
12/6/22 5:52 p.m.

Harbor freight sledgehammer. 

When put in a box, they make a excellent wedding gift as well. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/6/22 6:04 p.m.

I've got nuthin' for you.  When faced with similar situations I always go for the most ridiculous gift I can find within budget.

One time we had a similar thing about 2-3 months after I had started at a new job.  We drew names for the gift exchange and I didn't really know anything about the name I drew.  So for $10 on clearance I got a 10" high statue of Austin Powers that said OH BEHAVE and a few other choice phrases when you pushed a button.

Turns out the guy whose name I drew was a real self-important a-hole and he was completely taken aback when he unwrapped it.  Just couldn't get his head around it.

Out of an office of 30 people about 15 of them found me privately afterwards and congratulated me for freaking the guy out.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
12/6/22 6:10 p.m.

Wander through Home Depot/Lowe's.  Look at all the crap they have in between the main aisles this time of year.

Last year I got this: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200844981_200844981

Then three turns later some jerk stole it and gave me this: https://www.amazon.com/Stress-Buster-Desktop-Punching-Bag/dp/B09Q32F8CX/

I never brought a tape measure in for work after that.  I'm not bitter about it or anything

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/6/22 7:01 p.m.
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
12/6/22 7:09 p.m.

Toilet Wax Ring is my go to White Elephant gift.

(Sometimes  I  even  include something else of value)

P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
12/6/22 7:38 p.m.

Friend once loaded a BestBuy gift card with $.83. Madness ensued as everyone vied for it, unaware of the size of treasure. 

Another guy brought in his deceased father's dentures. I know of a guy who makes underarm hair art and puts it in snow globes. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/6/22 8:02 p.m.

Last time I did one of those, I went to the liquor store and asked them what bottle I'd give to someone I hated. I was given a bottle of Yukon jack. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/6/22 8:59 p.m.

What sort of engineers are they?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/6/22 9:03 p.m.

The last time I was in one I ended up with a international coffee assortment. I actually enjoyed that one. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
12/6/22 9:34 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/7/22 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I generally ruin things, we were out with a friend years ago that needed a white elephant gift. We walked through Home Goods and found this gigantic jar of olives like you'd see in a restaurant. She wrapped it up, brought it to work, and her office hasn't had a gift exchange since. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/7/22 8:04 a.m.

Oh my gosh, this is like the beginning of a joke.

10 practical engineers decide to have a white elephant party.

Everyone got slide rules

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/7/22 8:07 a.m.

How about an IKEA coffee table.  It has to be assembled, during which your engineer friend can measure tolerances and marvel at the good and bad parts.  "How do they expect this pot metal cam lock to support the side loads on the legs while being in torsion?"  or  "wow, they really used a sharp bit to machine this rabbet."

When it's done, they have a coffee table.

Zingah
Zingah New Reader
12/7/22 9:47 a.m.

I think one of those laser meat thermometers would be cool and you could get a cheap one for under $25. But maybe I just want one myself. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
12/7/22 11:04 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

What sort of engineers are they?

Production engineers at a medical device company.

Maybe...

Amazon.com: Operation Skill Game : Toys & Games

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/7/22 11:37 a.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

This is easy then. Get them some scam medical devices! Pick your favorite flavor of copper infused radioactive 5G blocking vitality lifting wonder brace/necklace/etc. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/7/22 11:49 a.m.

Damnit - I just helped my parents dispose/donate/return some antiquated Abbott medical devices/boxes a few months ago. You could have given an Italian at-home pregnancy test circa 1990! Or a Gemstar infusion pump that was set up to water a Christmas tree. That one might have been Hospira though. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
12/7/22 11:50 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

This is easy then. Get them some scam medical devices! Pick your favorite flavor of copper infused radioactive 5G blocking vitality lifting wonder brace/necklace/etc. 

Elizabeth Holmes won't return my calls.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
12/7/22 12:16 p.m.

My go to is a harbor freight Sawzall.

Always splits the room.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/7/22 12:52 p.m.

Ah, we've been idiots. There are two obvious answers: 

1. If you want to go over budget
  2. If you want to stay in budget
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/7/22 1:06 p.m.

Be "that guy" who brings political discussion to the otherwise politic-free Christmas party with this.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/7/22 1:08 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Even for a joke I wouldn't want to give that whackjob a penny of my money.

procker
procker Reader
12/7/22 1:08 p.m.

Dollar store picture frame.  Remove the display photo (or flip it over) and tape scratch off lottery tickets to it, then return it in the frame, to display.  Wrap in some weirdo or odd wrapping paper, too.

People think it's a cheap frame, but may actually have an opportunity to win some $$.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DU3kbboWeB3EVlzsxwHv61SnbF3D4eRVTcucjFZDnKc5tHbNPINS7bxi6XbA8oMW