Cooter
Cooter UberDork
12/30/20 6:45 p.m.

Have an incredibly rust free, running, yard driving vehicle that I just scored outside of Stockton, CA.  Normally, I would just Fly and Drive, but this one has a problem with keeping coolant in the cooling passages of the block.   And I really don't want to risk breakdowns in COVID times.   My preference would be to have someone haul it back here to the Chicagoland area, but barring that, I might Cannonball out there, grab it, and Cannonball back, sleeping in the truck on the way.   (I already asked SBF, as he was my first choice, but he isn't going west over the mountains presently)

So, does anyone have anything big they need to go west? Or maybe something medium sized coming back?  I would have an empty trailer going out, and likely an empty truck bed or back of a van going both directions, depending on what I decide to drive.  

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/5/21 10:26 a.m.

Anyone?

I listed it on UShip early this morning, but I fear that is only going to make me angry.

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) SuperDork
1/5/21 11:07 a.m.

No solutions but when I shipped my 99 from LA to Tampa it cost me roughly $1500. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/5/21 5:30 p.m.

Can't help but how about a Fly 'n Drive like renting a vehicle and trailer out there?

Just a thought, costs may be the same. =~ (

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/5/21 5:59 p.m.

...or a big box truck

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/5/21 6:33 p.m.

4000 miles round trip towing a trailer?  12 mpg?  That's about a thousand bucks in fuel?

Every time I've done the math on going to get something vs paying for transport the fuel bill alone was enough to convince me to go for transport.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/5/21 6:46 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

That's why I am asking if anyone needs something shipped west.

Dealing with shipping brokers is not going to make me happy,  No matter how cheap the cost.   If this was any other year, I fly out,  would repair it at the sellers place and drive it home.  Even driving out and back wouldn't be bad, as I would hit all the local JYs and load up the row rig.    I REALLY like to drive.   But there are too may risks involved for this type of trip, this year.  

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/5/21 6:49 p.m.

That said, I am hoping I might have something lined up, but it is still pretty preliminary.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/5/21 6:52 p.m.
914Driver said:

Can't help but how about a Fly 'n Drive like renting a vehicle and trailer out there?

Just a thought, costs may be the same. =~ (

I thought about buying a tow rig out there to drive back, but I would still need a trailer.   

Or a really big box truck, as Paul said.     However, I'm having a difficult time finding something that would fill the bill, even though I am sure the bottom has to be falling out of the old truck market in California right now.

preach
preach Reader
1/5/21 6:56 p.m.

The car market in S. CA is very strong right now. I tried to buy a Jeep J10 when I was out there a month ago and it was sold pretty much the same day.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/5/21 7:26 p.m.

In reply to preach :

I'm not talking about cars. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/5/21 7:36 p.m.

Isn't there another GRMer delivering a camper to Portland that had an empty trailer to go back to Chicago?

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/5/21 7:56 p.m.

Yes, that's "SBF"- SyntheticBlinkerFluid

Stockton is easily a 10 hour side trip from Portland.  Even more pulling a trailer through California.

1/5/21 9:58 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

I live 40 miles north of Portland and my mother lives east of Sacramento. I can easily fill that trailer with something to go from PDX to there.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/9/21 6:45 p.m.

SBF came through.

I soon will wake up every morning with wood.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/9/21 10:52 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Umm...Artificial wood....

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/10/21 1:58 a.m.

That's pretty judgy for someone who's never woken up with me ...

1/10/21 2:20 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Cooter :

It's real if you can touch it. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/10/21 11:54 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Cooter :

It's real if you can touch it. 

If I had a dime for every time someone wanted to touch it, I would be the richest man in the world.

If I had to exclude myself from that list, I might be able to buy a gumball.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ot4TYOuHBWYVqv4tYhPuMWDa62JOwKJFLfhzGjKT8WS8Izhl1opBC8F20fSWtQHY