1 2
RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
2/16/16 6:43 a.m.

In reply to paranoid_android74:

They get sent anonymously, by the company. No need for someone else to send them.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/16/16 7:03 a.m.

In reply to That_Renault_Guy:
Is the spot a chip or your red paint on his car? If it's your paint it should come off real easy.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
2/16/16 7:35 a.m.

One more reason to love minivans with sliding doors!

That_Renault_Guy
That_Renault_Guy HalfDork
2/16/16 8:12 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: In reply to That_Renault_Guy: Is the spot a chip or your red paint on his car? If it's your paint it should come off real easy.

That is exactly the case, if he would have let me I could have rubbed it off with my thumb. I think he was concerned about tampering with evidence, though.

sirrichardpumpaloaf
sirrichardpumpaloaf Reader
2/16/16 10:12 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: Seriously. If you want PM me his address and I'll mail these to him so he doesn't end up on your doorstep. On second thought, the gesture may be lost on him. He'd probably just take them inside and eat them.
RealMiniParker wrote: You have his address, right?

Better yet, post his address here and this son of a bitch will get bags of dicks from across the nation. Lol.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/16/16 10:33 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
SVreX wrote: I cut a truck nearly in half with a forklift 2 weeks ago. Police didn't even write a report.
You can't make a post like that without a story and pictures. It's against the rules.

There are a lot of pictures I never post because of the hosting issues. Don't have time to play with that stuff.

The story is I was operating a 7000 lb extended reach forklift very close to a road right-of-way during rush hour. Traffic was moving into the setting sun. I was standing still with the forks pointing toward the road (but not in the right of way) when the driver of a late model pickup drifted off the right-of-way (he was looking into the sun, and thinking about the cars to his left, not the great big giant piece of construction equipment off to the side). Older driver.

He hit the forks. Started at the front bumper, cut the fender in half, the A-pillar, the door, the B-pillar, the rear door, the C-pillar, the entire bed, and ripped the rear bumper off the truck. Depth of cut, about 6-8".

Police came, but had no idea how to write a report for a non-registered construction vehicle standing still on private property when a driver chooses to use it as a can opener.

No report, no insurance claim. Driver drove away with everything flapping in the breeze.

I DO have pics, but don't feel like playing with the hosting stuff. You'll have to take my word.

...or not.

But if some lunatic put a paint scratch in my car like the OP of THIS thread, I'd be sure to pursue it to the fullest extent of the law!!

slefain
slefain UberDork
2/16/16 10:34 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
patgizz wrote:
Beer Baron wrote: I had the inverse situation this weekend. Minor dent on my van in parking lot. Pretty typical "E36 M3 happens" no-big-deal. I just wanted a good natured apology. Instead, other car notices they opened their doors too hard, hurries away before I can walk up, looks back at me grinning as they drive away. Except we're in a parking garage and I'm next to the stairs, so I beat them to the exit and very politely say, "Pardon me, but you dented my car." They acted shocked, appalled, and defensive. Refused to believe they could possibly have dented my car.
we pulled in to a spot at a restaurant and i was in the passenger seat, getting the kid ready to go out in the cold. person pulls in next to us and slams her door into my car and walks away. i got out and said "thanks for denting my car" and she goes "i did not" - my wife jumped in and the woman gets all "stop accusing me of lying i didnt hit your car" - all i wanted was the same - a genuine apology, not lying about it when i was sitting in the car when you did it. at that point i was pissed off so i was not going in to eat at the same place as this B, so i returned the favor to her car with my boot and left. i hate liars.
I had one of those once. I had just painted my 1978 2 door Delta 88. They opened theirs hard enough that it bounced. Got mouthy when I said something so I returned the favor. If you are familiar with the 88s of that vintage, the doors were a good 4' long and probably weighed in at 250#. I might have been a little pissed when I opened my door, because it caved in the entire side of their junker. No other words were exchanged and they left the parking lot in a hurry. Ahh to be young and not have a care in the world...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NBvysuewIOs?rel=0

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/16/16 11:13 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I cut a truck nearly in half with a forklift 2 weeks ago. Police didn't even write a report.

there is so much fail in this it's a win.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/16/16 12:08 p.m.

I have it on good authority that the fenders of most modern cars can be can-opened in a parking lot with a stout pocket knife and a large enough dose of anger and determination. Jus sayin'.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
2/16/16 4:45 p.m.

Ah, I see!

This being the case I like sirrichardpumpaloaf's idea!

RealMiniParker wrote: In reply to paranoid_android74: They get sent anonymously, by the company. No need for someone else to send them.
novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
2/17/16 3:33 a.m.

Guy probably thought that the police need to be involved in anything involving a potential insurance claim.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
2/17/16 8:20 a.m.

In my experience, complete over reactions to stuff like door dings often happens when someone is overwhelmed with stuff going on in the rest of their life. I would not be surprised if the guy had been dealing with drug addicted or "entitled" offspring and/or poorly behaved grandchildren for a while. Maybe his neighbor's kids are vandalizing his home. The comparatively minor actions of the OP's child was where the dam holding back anger and frustration burst. There are a thousand other scenarios that could push many of us to lose patience with children or unload on people who don't deserve it.

His actions were still wrong and inexcusable. I do wonder what kind of crap he's been through to wind him up that tight. It couldn't have been pleasant.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
2/17/16 9:29 a.m.

In reply to That_Renault_Guy:

Being in MI with our no-fault laws, makes this even more ridiculous... Even if there were damage, it wouldn't much matter.

Both of my daily drivers are pretty messed up from other MI residents parking by feel. My jag is especially badly dented on both sides. I strongly suspect some of it has been intentional. I'll let others like this shiny happy person rage out over it. I've never said anything to anybody yet, nor have I made an insurance claim. Who knows maybe I'll flip out over a minor ding after thirty more years of bottling this up.

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
2/17/16 12:12 p.m.
WilD wrote: In reply to That_Renault_Guy: Being in MI with our no-fault laws, makes this even more ridiculous... Even if there were damage, it wouldn't much matter. Both of my daily drivers are pretty messed up from other MI residents parking by feel. My jag is especially badly dented on both sides. I strongly suspect some of it has been intentional. I'll let others like this shiny happy person rage out over it. I've never said anything to anybody yet, nor have I made an insurance claim. Who knows maybe I'll flip out over a minor ding after thirty more years of bottling this up.

thats what makes me glad i dont live in a large city, while i was in NYC for work i saw way to many of these things:

like every 5th car...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/17/16 12:32 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote:
WilD wrote: In reply to That_Renault_Guy: Being in MI with our no-fault laws, makes this even more ridiculous... Even if there were damage, it wouldn't much matter. Both of my daily drivers are pretty messed up from other MI residents parking by feel. My jag is especially badly dented on both sides. I strongly suspect some of it has been intentional. I'll let others like this shiny happy person rage out over it. I've never said anything to anybody yet, nor have I made an insurance claim. Who knows maybe I'll flip out over a minor ding after thirty more years of bottling this up.
thats what makes me glad i dont live in a large city, while i was in NYC for work i saw way to many of these things: like every 5th car...

Saw a ton of these on Jersey last fall. Had to explain what they were to the wife. THe look on her face said it all. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot doesn't even come close. These people think it's normal.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
2/17/16 2:17 p.m.

Why did the guy do this? Because he's the kind of guy that would make the conscious decision to purchase a 2012 Camry, that's why. What a weenis.

And those bumper guards... Yeah, you bought a plastic thing that goes over your bumper. When you hit stuff, it's still going to mess up your bumper! Idiots...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/17/16 2:23 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Why did the guy do this? Because he's the kind of guy that would make the conscious decision to purchase a 2012 Camry, that's why. What a weenis. And those bumper guards... Yeah, you bought a plastic thing that goes over your bumper. When you hit stuff, it's still going to mess up your bumper! Idiots...

More to protect against scratches from careless parallel parkers. Remember, the bumpers are plastic and do have some give to them.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/17/16 7:29 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote:
thats what makes me glad i dont live in a large city, while i was in NYC for work i saw way to many of these things: like every 5th car...

You saw Jack Daniels in every 5th car? Or you saw a fifth of Jack Daniels in every car?

Those wild and crazy Jerseyites!

drainoil
drainoil Reader
2/17/16 10:35 p.m.

And to think that idiot likely votes and maybe even pro-created?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/17/16 10:59 p.m.
mtn wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: Why did the guy do this? Because he's the kind of guy that would make the conscious decision to purchase a 2012 Camry, that's why. What a weenis. And those bumper guards... Yeah, you bought a plastic thing that goes over your bumper. When you hit stuff, it's still going to mess up your bumper! Idiots...
More to protect against scratches from careless parallel parkers. Remember, the bumpers are plastic and do have some give to them.

Bumpers should be chrome steel or unpainted plastic. Cuz then you can bump stuff. Making them painted body panels is such a bad idea. Worst is painting them to look like unpainted plastic - I'm looking at you, Subaru.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
2/17/16 11:10 p.m.

You know those styrofoam strips that protect doors on cars fresh from the factory? Saw plenty of cars driving around Seoul, Korea with those things.

Robbie
Robbie SuperDork
2/18/16 4:40 a.m.

You do have to be careful about this sometimes. In college, my roommate was driving my beater truck and accidentally dinged the door of another car. No damage, they were able to rub the mark off. But still, he politely apologized and they exchanged info.

About a month later, I got a bill in the mail from this couples insurance company asking me to pay for $1500 worth of damage to that car.... Um, no. That wasn't us.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/18/16 8:26 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Cell phones and their picture ability can easily stop this. Document everything.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FIRgnYzruY5VUF3MYEHn5p7o6Z5LWdh4HhPEcfflkrQjIhoYXBjEUTZ2sqWoXg9J