1 2
Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
10/31/19 1:29 p.m.

My wife has been a better partner-in-crime with automotive shenanigans than any guy friend I've ever had.  We've been together almost 20 years, so we've been through quite a few stages together and she's hung with me the entire time with few exceptions.  She's helped me bolt cold air intakes to civic hatchbacks back in college, braved the rice-fest that was NOPI Nats (look I was a 20-something with a Civic), watches F1/IMSA/Rally/Monster Jam, we autocross together, plus she camps infield like a champ at the Mitty and IMSA races.  She attended the Grand Prix of Long Beach with her friends and pretty much told them they needed to STFU because she was trying to watch the race. laugh

About the only thing she hasn't done with me is Lemons.  That said, she hasn't done it because someone needed to stay home and take care of the kids - basically taking one for the team so I could chase a lifelong dream.

So yeah, she gets it. I feel lucky.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/31/19 1:36 p.m.
captdownshift said:

The first time we had relations was somewhere very  uncomfortable.

Does that count? (And that wasn't my ex-wife, just the person who makes me very happy who I'm happy to have as a part of my life, who is nearly the same level of enablerz especially regarding crapcans or E36 M3boxes as she affectionately calls them). 

What, like the back of a Volkswagen?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/31/19 1:45 p.m.

Most of our "dates" were to cruise nights, car shows, or the dragstrip.  When we got married carli and i were in the 54 belair and gimp/kate were in the 72 chevelle.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/31/19 1:50 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
alfadriver said:

But IIRC, a pair of people MET because of the Challenge, and got married shortly after one.  This would be back in 2002-2005 range.  I seem to remember them being highlighted at one of those challenges.  Does anyone else recall that?  SVrX, AC, David, etc?

Was that Sean Korb?

It could have, but I don't think it was...  Didn't he make that Mustang with the Supra IRS?  If it was, then it was not him.  It was one of the other teams.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/31/19 2:07 p.m.

My ex- and I met at work, but it was an common interest in cars and home DIY projects that kept us together for 11 years.

In my MINI clubs, I know of quite a few couples who met and were married via a common interest in MINIs. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/31/19 5:12 p.m.

Really like that!!!!  

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
10/31/19 5:58 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That was from our first summer vacation together.   I found that $1400 '73 Imperial with 80k miles on a Demo Derby (WeCrash, RIP) website down in St Louis, and two weeks later we were taking a 1K+ mile trip around Lake Michigan with both her teenage children and her son's girlfriend.   That huge land yacht pulled down 15 MpG on the back roads with the RV2 compressor making my nipples hurt in the 100 degree Midwest heat and humidity.  

Sadly, I had to sell the Imperial Cruiser when I fstumbled across something else 440 powered that was even longer, lower mileage, and in better shape on a trip to Portland.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
10/31/19 6:23 p.m.

When Annie and I started dating, she had no idea that I was a car guy. I knew she wasn't into cars, but I loved her anyway. It was a few years after we started dating I was road testing a new car and she was with me, and I put the car through some twisty maneuvers. She liked the sensation, but still didn't like cars. Well, nearly forty years later, I still love her, but she still doesn't like cars. She understands my affliction and humors me by going to some car events (not all). And she accepts that we have a two-car garage filled with a Miata, a Spitfire, and a ton of tools and old car magazines. I appreciate that she's a "partial" trooper. She does go to some of the higher end events that has some side amenities for non-car people (i.e. wine tastings).

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/31/19 7:28 p.m.

Autocross was always on a Sunday, so I'd miss a lot of church.

Met my wife at the only mid-week bible study I found that was running through the summer.  Pentecostal bible study.  Neither of us are Pentecostal by any stretch.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek HalfDork
11/1/19 2:54 p.m.

My wife claims that the first time we met was in the cafeteria at college. Backstory: her dad has, and continues to, DJ classic car shows. So she grew up around classic cars. She saw me sitting alone wearing a t-shirt with Ford Mustangs on it and said to herself, "at least we'll have something to talk about." I don't remember the interaction at all. We got to know each other more through gatherings mutual friends. I started to teach her to drive a stick in my Honda del Sol and our first date was in that car (drive in movie double feature: Aliens in the Attic and Harry Potter 6?). The day I proposed to her I had her practice driving the del Sol around the area and guided her to a state park on Lake Erie. She was excited for the open roads and parking lots to practice in. I was excited to propose to her on the beach.

She's always known about my enthusiasm for cars (my dorm rooms were basically wallpapered with disassembled car calenders) and supports me even if she doesn't always get it. And I've rubbed off on her too. She no longer wants an SUV/crossover for her future "mom-mobile". It's got to be a Volvo station wagon. :) Definitely a keeper.

captdownshift
captdownshift UltimaDork
11/1/19 10:21 p.m.

We're sitting in the garage after getting a load of craft beer and she's looking up sub $1000 manual transmission Saturn wagons. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
11/1/19 10:37 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Attagirl!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bVVajel62VxYW85XUylLjRGQnY6dVs2yZvUyhS6mhSPzs5EVFfBpp8TmcrIZU76i