1 2 3
mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/11/18 8:33 a.m.

and here I thought all HF made was hammers...

Do they make a knock off yeti cooler too?

logdog
logdog UltraDork
2/11/18 8:40 a.m.

I started the cold experiment.  I used 60.8 degree tap water and put 3 ice cubes in each cup.  I also added a regular plastic tumbler from Rudy's BBQ.

I put 3 ice cubes in each cup and poured in 16oz. I let it sit about a minute before taking the first temperature.

9:30

Yeti 48.6

HF 48.7

ASE 40.0 (Im not sure why its so much colder.  I moved the temp probe around and got the same readings)

Rudy 46.9

logdog
logdog UltraDork
2/11/18 8:41 a.m.
mad_machine said:

and here I thought all HF made was hammers...

Do they make a knock off yeti cooler too?

If they did I would buy one for the Champcar trailer in a heartbeat.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/11/18 9:36 a.m.

Yeti created a market segment but failed to protect it with ip well.  Good case study. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/11/18 9:46 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Yeti created a market segment but failed to protect it with ip well.  Good case study. 

You've probably done more research than I have, but I think that they were just the first to market it successfully. They didn't create rotomolded coolers, they didn't have the only patents on it, they just were the first to market it to flatbrimmers/fratbros/yuppies. 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
2/11/18 9:53 a.m.
logdog said:

ASE 40.0 (Im not sure why its so much colder.  I moved the temp probe around and got the same readings)

Maybe the narrower shape forced more ice contact/thermal transfer while pouring in the water?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/11/18 9:54 a.m.

The condensation might be the key.  Seems like the Yeti cup is venting more.  Are the drinking holes the same size?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/11/18 10:09 a.m.
Ransom said:

Maybe the narrower shape forced more ice contact/thermal transfer while pouring in the water?

I'm betting the ASE has a lower overall volume compared to the others

logdog
logdog UltraDork
2/11/18 10:09 a.m.

11:05

Yeti - 38.1

HF - 37.9

ASE - 40.7

Rudy - 49.1

logdog
logdog UltraDork
2/11/18 10:11 a.m.
aircooled said:

The condensation might be the key.  Seems like the Yeti cup is venting more.  Are the drinking holes the same size?

They appear pretty close.

Yeti on top

logdog
logdog UltraDork
2/11/18 10:15 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:
Ransom said:

I'm betting the ASE has a lower overall volume compared to the others

It is slightly smaller.  I put the same amount of water in each cup to try and keep it equal.  The ASE cup isn't very good.  When using it in the cold garage it cools down really fast.  It does fits well in my vehicle cup holders however.  Im thinking its getting replaced by the HF one.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
2/11/18 11:11 a.m.

12:05

Yeti - 37.3

HF - 37.4

ASE - 42.7

Rudy - 57.3

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/11/18 11:44 a.m.

Well, I think I have been convinced to part with 8.99, minus my 20% coupon of course. laugh

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
2/11/18 12:10 p.m.

I'm generally a fan of this thread. I am also generally a fan of hf.

That said, I think I'd take your ase cup over the others. I prefer my coffee cooler than most people I think, and when I get a cup that is too good it means I have to wait hours to drink my coffee. #firstworldproblems

logdog
logdog UltraDork
2/11/18 1:10 p.m.

2:05

Yeti - 38.5

HF - 37.7

ASE - 52.6

Rudy - 64.4

The 3 ice cubes are all melted.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
2/11/18 1:12 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Well, I think I have been convinced to part with 8.99, minus my 20% coupon of course. laugh

According to the flier they gave me yesterday, the weekend of March 9th will be the time to buy.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
2/11/18 3:24 p.m.

4:20

Yeti 41.2

HF 40.6

ASE 61.1

Rudy 67.8

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/11/18 3:26 p.m.

In reply to logdog :

I am not that patient. I just purchased mine for 7.19 + taxlaugh

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/11/18 3:42 p.m.

Side note about HF 20% off coupon...

If you are a GRM subscriber, you also get the digital version through the GRM app.  If you used the coupon in GRM then HF will notice that the spending for GRM advertising is worth it because based on the coding of the coupon they will see it came from GRM.

So, while I am in HF, I open the GRM app and find the coupon.  The coupon is usually too small but I take a screen shot of the GRM page.  Now through my photos on my phone of the screenshot, I can expand the picture (and the needed barcode) to be big enough for the cashier to scan right off my phone.  

This means that if you have your phone with you, you have a 20% coupon with you!  

Here is my most recent screen shot still saved on my phone from a purchase of impact sockets a couple of weeks ago. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/11/18 4:48 p.m.

The HF one may work just as well as the Yeti, but an I the only person who is afraid of drinking out of something that came from an HF store?  I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t buy plates or utensils if they sold them either.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/11/18 4:50 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Side note about HF 20% off coupon...

If you are a GRM subscriber, you also get the digital version through the GRM app.  If you used the coupon in GRM then HF will notice that the spending for GRM advertising is worth it because based on the coding of the coupon they will see it came from GRM.

So, while I am in HF, I open the GRM app and find the coupon.  The coupon is usually too small but I take a screen shot of the GRM page.  Now through my photos on my phone of the screenshot, I can expand the picture (and the needed barcode) to be big enough for the cashier to scan right off my phone.  

This means that if you have your phone with you, you have a 20% coupon with you!  

Here is my most recent screen shot still saved on my phone from a purchase of impact sockets a couple of weeks ago. 

good to know. I do not buy much at HF, but I do get my "disposables" there.. Nitrile gloves, chip brushes, and the like. I will gladly show them that GRM is worth their advertising

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/11/18 5:14 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

The HF one may work just as well as the Yeti, but an I the only person who is afraid of drinking out of something that came from an HF store?  I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t buy plates or utensils if they sold them either.

Everything that comes from Harbor Freight smells exactly the same. I'm pretty sure it's the sweat of Chinese school children.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/11/18 5:32 p.m.

Interestingly enough, I can't detect any HF odor on or in my tumbler. It may kill me yet, but I'm feeling brave. laugh

logdog
logdog UltraDork
2/11/18 6:35 p.m.

Im calling an end to the experiment.

7:30 pm

Yeti 45.5

HF 45.3

ASE 66.1

Rudy 68.5

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
2/11/18 6:47 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

From my limited research, I think all of the stainless drinkware (Yeti, WallyWorld, HF, etc.) are made in China (probably the same factories too), so it probably doesn't matter.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n29Lod2mJCqTYOyyin8dttbRYc7mpyIj13jvYaJPG7MFbpPnjesSrGhkxGEe4ZqL