ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek HalfDork
10/26/21 4:49 a.m.

Mrs. ShawneeCreek and I received a set of luggage when we got married 8 years ago. During the first trip a handle ripped off the middle size. Since then they have continued to demonstrate their cheapness in one way or another. This last trip the extendable handle on the carry on size refused to extend completely and then refused to retract. The whole set is going to the curb for trash day this morning. Now we need to replace it.

Who makes quality, durable luggage? Something that doesn't have the same cheap, import handles and wheels that everything at Walmart, Kohl's, etc. do. I'm done with cheap. I want to spend reasonable money to get a quality product. I'm just not sure where to look.

Side question: fabric sides or hard sides? What do you prefer and why? Our last set was fabric sided.

-Sean

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
10/26/21 5:53 a.m.

All I can say, is get luggage with the 4 omni-wheels.  

Also, I'm usually a carry-on luggage guy with an additional "Personal Item" laptop backpack.  It's very rare we need a full size suitecase.

https://www.costco.com/ricardo-big-sur-22%22-hardside-carry-on-luggage-spinner-with-packing-cubes.product.100665772.html

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/26/21 6:04 a.m.

We've been using the same Briggs and Riley set since 2005, and they are in great shape.  Expensive, sure, but they have lasted.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/26/21 6:13 a.m.

I have a travel pro. Not the top end but has been around the world a few times. 

https://travelpro.com  They make most of the bags for pilots and crew. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/26/21 7:24 a.m.

Travel Pro or eBags. 

There is another company that flight crews use as well, built like a brick house, but probably overkill unless you're flying every day. Can't remember the name of it now - but I think I heard about it here, maybe from Joe Gearin?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/26/21 7:39 a.m.

If you're a Costco member, check out their luggage options. I have one of their Traveler's Choice carryons that survived three years of basically weekly travel with nothing but a bit of cosmetic damage (scratches, and a dent in one corner that I was able to pop out with my thumb but is still showing a bit - thanks Delta). I'd definitely get another one if the need arises, but so far everything is working fine, especially the parts that usually break like the wheels and the handle.

I've got a strong preference for hard sided suitcases, IME the soft sided ones don't hold up that well to the kind of use I tend to subject them to.

Oh, and get a set of compression bags for your clothing, no matter what kind of suitcase you buy. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
10/26/21 7:51 a.m.

I prefer duffel bags. I was going to suggest this Baigo bag, but it looks like the company has gone out of business. It was ridiculously ($200+-) expensive but mine is 6 years old, has been all over the country, and is still in perfect condition. 

You might check these guys. They look to be the same build quality. https://cenzobags.com/collections/all-products

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/26/21 8:17 a.m.

No experience, but Pelican Case

I think these come in bold colors too like orange or yellow. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/26/21 8:24 a.m.

Found the one Joe Gearin recommended: https://luggageworks.com/default/executive-aviator-22.html

Entropyman
Entropyman Reader
10/26/21 8:24 a.m.

I have given up on the wheeled luggage and gone with backpack style.  It works much better for me.  I have a Peak Designs bag that has been great.  Very versatile and durable.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/26/21 8:25 a.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

I prefer duffel bags. I was going to suggest this Baigo bag, but it looks like the company has gone out of business. It was ridiculously ($200+-) expensive but mine is 6 years old, has been all over the country, and is still in perfect condition. 

You might check these guys. They look to be the same build quality. https://cenzobags.com/collections/all-products

Duffels are the best if you're traveling by car. If you're in an airport, you want wheels. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
10/26/21 8:28 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Unfortunately, 90% of the rolling luggage is built for people that are 5'10". At 6'2" I end up carrying it anyways because the handle is too short. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
10/26/21 1:01 p.m.

I am a big Osprey fan, but their new stuff is not half as good as their old stuff.  Pre-loved Osprey on Ebay is your jam.  Hit it with a pressure washer and let it sit in the sun for a few days and you are ready to rip.  

Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter)
Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/26/21 1:06 p.m.

Second ebags, i travel about 80K miles a year. Great bags and if there is a problem excellent warranty.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
10/26/21 2:05 p.m.

Here is where the flying crowd hang out 

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/

when I had Gold status and 70lb bags I did not care about how much the suitcase weighs , but now at 50lbs max I weigh my suitcase ,  I  have them from 8lbs to 16lb empty.

also if its carryon 4 wheels allow you to roll it sideways to your seat , 

I take too much stuff when I travel , leave a lot of it before coming home and buy other things !

And I buy them at Yard sales or swap meets.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
10/26/21 2:12 p.m.

Hartmann used to be outstanding, but I've read some less-than-good stuff about their more recent products; I've got a couple older pieces that are great. Briggs & Riley is good too, though the clip on the soft briefcase I use for work broke a couple years ago - should probably look into getting that fixed. For a full-size suitcase I'm currently using a hybrid (hard back, soft front) PacSafe roller that I really like. The fabric portion is metal-reinforced to prevent (or at least resist) cuts, and it has useful compression straps on the outside.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/26/21 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

I'm 6 foot 1.  Suggest travel pro. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
10/26/21 3:17 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

If you're a Costco member, check out their luggage options. I have one of their Traveler's Choice carryons that survived three years of basically weekly travel with nothing but a bit of cosmetic damage (scratches, and a dent in one corner that I was able to pop out with my thumb but is still showing a bit - thanks Delta). I'd definitely get another one if the need arises, but so far everything is working fine, especially the parts that usually break like the wheels and the handle.

I've got a strong preference for hard sided suitcases, IME the soft sided ones don't hold up that well to the kind of use I tend to subject them to.

Oh, and get a set of compression bags for your clothing, no matter what kind of suitcase you buy. 

I came here to give a shout out to Costco's Kirkland brand.  My wife bought me a large soft side suitcase ~15 years ago and it has made well over 200 trips since then (5.5 trips around the planet in 2019 alone).  It still looks great and works perfectly.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/26/21 3:19 p.m.

Eagle Creek. Going on 11ish years of ownership and holding up very well. 

https://www.eaglecreek.com

When I graduated college, my mom bought me a set of department store luggage that lasted 2 years before it disintegrated.   

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/26/21 3:54 p.m.
Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter) said:

Second ebags, i travel about 80K miles a year. Great bags and if there is a problem excellent warranty.

Samsonite bought them, so while what I suspect is the remaining inventory will be good, I suspect that the brand will be phased out and eventually the warranty will result in a Samsonite bag. 

But that said, with the abuse I've given my Motherlode 29" duffel, I doubt I'll have to use it, knock on wood.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z70VDQ5xQqHLGvkjd4gd4hg4e7jCp4WiGC3SLfLxxqzE2jkcQfDLbPrLdNSqQe4t