11 12 13
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/16/22 7:28 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

....I believe the first word from me was "BullE36 M3"....

These are what I like to call "well, OK then" moments.  It's the moment when you are talking to someone that you realize they are probably someone who does not have an entirely rational view of the world.  It's like when I was talking to an older car guy about something and he mentioned how I should really look into chemtrails.   I of course did the "well, OK then..." and tried to steer clear of that topic as quickly as possible.  Not that I don't like the guy, but it did give me some insight to how he evaluates things. (BTW I am very familiar with aviation reflated topics and what condensation is!)

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/17/22 6:38 a.m.

The problem is a lack of intelligence. People are clearly morons. 

George Washington was right. To paraphrase, it is better to be alone than in bad company.  The problem is that we can't escape bad company today. We have to deal with the morons either in person or digitally without fail. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/17/22 7:32 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Because I asked the questions I asked I have been thrown into this same group of weirdos. When we polarize any subject we all lose. There isn't a single right or wrong, black or white. The world is full of grey, and colors and smelling shapes and such. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
2/17/22 10:13 a.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

The problem is a lack of intelligence. People are clearly morons.

This is a slippery slope to go down.  There are lots of intelligent people that believe alternate theories.  Sometimes, even more so because they think they're more intelligent than the "average person".  I don't think it's knowledge problem, but a "I feel attacked/ostracized/ignored" problem, often enforced by social media because like minded people are recommended to them to connect to, enforcing those beliefs.  Please don't go down the path thinking if someone doesn't agree with you, then they're stupid.  (Not that you are, per se, just something to be aware of)

bobzilla said:

Because I asked the questions I asked I have been thrown into this same group of weirdos.

Which is probably the worst thing about views these days because it's exacerbated by online v. face to face.  I'm confident if you were sitting face to face, people would be less likely to lump you in with "others".  They'd see the genuine concern on your face.  There would be free discussion and instead of trying to fit it into text.  They'd have to listen as opposed to skipping over longer posts and immediately jumping to a conclusion.  They may not agree, but there would be at least a little respect that's lost in text.

I've read through this whole thread and I'm angry.  Because this is a small microcosm of the entire nation.  There are lots of people hurting.  There are lots of people in crappy situations.  They feel there is no outlet/help (and there may not be).  It makes me angry that I can't fix those issues. 

-Rob

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/17/22 10:21 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Because I asked the questions I asked I have been thrown into this same group of weirdos. When we polarize any subject we all lose. There isn't a single right or wrong, black or white. The world is full of grey, and colors and smelling shapes and such. 

I politely helped him understand that HIV doesn't come from a vaccination.  What he grossly misinterpreted was a news story (That I heard this morning) that there is now an instant test for HIV... Nothing whatsoever to do with Covid.

BullE36 M3 is different from a discussion.  I'd like to think I educated him.

Some stuff is grossly wrong.  I read a column in the paper the other day that suggested Canada, a country with about 40 million people, had ten million women between 51 and 61 years of age. That doesn't pass basic math.  I check the math on a lot of stuff I hear, and quite often, there is an order of magnitude error.  

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
2/17/22 10:48 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
bobzilla said:

Some stuff is grossly wrong.  I read a column in the paper the other day that suggested Canada, a country with about 40 million people, had ten million women between 51 and 61 years of age. That doesn't pass basic math.  I check the math on a lot of stuff I hear, and quite often, there is an order of magnitude error.  

And that's another issue that contributes to the challenges.  There is such a HUGE volume of information out there, it can be difficult (nigh impossible) to figure out what's right, what's wrong, what has an agenda (everything?) attached to it, what is just some crazy person with a keyboard and an internet connection.  It takes a significant amount of time and effort to fact check things or look at alternate views. 

It would be easy to say, "Just read blah blah news, they're always fair" but those don't really exist. Plus, to come back to the society issue, when the people you associate with all say to ignore certain media and further enforce it by showing situations where they were wrong, it makes it even harder to find the objective answer.  I find myself reading the news much less than I did 20+ years ago because I just don't have the time to figure out what's really the truth because of so many different options.  I'm very cynical by nature, so I don't trust anyone..... wink

-Rob

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
2/17/22 12:21 p.m.

Social media definitely exacerbates the "Echo chamber" and does nothing to self police bullE36 M3. In fact I suspect bullE36 M3 sells a lot better and they love it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/17/22 12:29 p.m.

Unfortunately there is also a theory being attributed to a French scientist that just died that the third shot gives you hiv. It's out there. I see these things and just shake my head. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/17/22 12:30 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

I wonder how much more I'm seeing than some of you? I've spent time in a lot of places gathering info. I know that sometimes I seem to break the algorithm because it just gives up. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/17/22 12:52 p.m.

Almost immediately after Betty White died, the rumors started that she had just gotten the vaccine a couple days earlier and it was the vaccine that killed her.  In reality, her last booster had been about 3 months before her passing as confirmed by her assistant and the studio who had a copy of her vax card.

NY Nick
NY Nick HalfDork
2/17/22 12:59 p.m.

I heard Betty White had a basement full of stolen Gypsy children whose blood she consumes... Ok now that we got that out there.

I kid, I kid. I'll show myself out now.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/17/22 1:28 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Almost immediately after Betty White died, the rumors started that she had just gotten the vaccine a couple days earlier and it was the vaccine that killed her.  In reality, her last booster had been about 3 months before her passing as confirmed by her assistant and the studio who had a copy of her vax card.

Headline news:

CURTIS CONFIRMS THAT DEATH OCCURS 3 MONTHS AFTER BOOSTER SHOT AS DEMONSTRATED BY BETTY WHITES DEATH

fact

devil

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/17/22 1:30 p.m.

Well, OK then.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/17/22 1:33 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I mean, everyone is gonna die. Some day. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/17/22 2:08 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to aircooled :

I mean, everyone is gonna die. Some day. 

I might be getting political here.  

Whoopie, we're all gonna die!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
2/17/22 6:59 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to OHSCrifle :

I wonder how much more I'm seeing than some of you? I've spent time in a lot of places gathering info. I know that sometimes I seem to break the algorithm because it just gives up. 

I never had a Facebook account and have turned off all Social Media notifications. It's been quite pleasant. 

...but my dad feels the need to send me goofy conspiracy E36 M3 so I see some occasionally. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
2/17/22 7:29 p.m.

I had a big "well, OK then" moment a few month ago at a Cars & Coffee when an electrician insisted that if you were to line a road with ferromagnets "permanent magnets" you'd just need to use enough energy to get a car started and then it'd run forever "perpetual motion machine".  Electromagnets, sure, the power to overcome drag & rolling resistance has an identifiable source but ferromangents are obviously going to be a sum zero game.  I tried to explain that conservation theory is meant to prevent people from wasting time on the impossible but I soon realized that "well, OK then" was the better course. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/17/22 7:46 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

Individuals are generally great or at least tolerable. People, plural, are lemmings. Social media has effectively made us all plural morons, myself included. 

11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VVEIHkivnZtGKQ6OqpmsNNM4SK2sPXo24c7racVBGqtH6Bo5QgbGvfHBJ9Dxgr3K