1 2
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/29/18 7:40 a.m.
Wally said:

I seem to have jinxed myself. The car runs fine but twice this morning as I left a red light the engine stalled. I have no check engine light and it starts right back up again but I really don’t need more headaches right now.

what's your ZIP code?   i bet there's a GRM'er nearby who'd do the labor if you buy the parts and a pizza.   hell, i'm tempted to drive up there from Detroit so i could finally meet you in person.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/29/18 8:49 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I appreciate the offer. I’ve got time to play with it tonight I just didn’t want to on a 95 degree night. It doesn’t help that checking google for ideas brings up anything from a bad battery, a number of sensors up to needs a timing chain. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/29/18 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

If it needed timing chains, you would have a ton of rattling on startup from the engine. I have seen the cam position actuator solenoid valves up topside cause stalling (usually a P0011 Intake Cam Performance or P0014 Exhaust Cam Performance) and those are literally just you take the engine cover off, remove the 10mm hold down bolt, pull the solenoid up out of the head and then reverse the procedure. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/29/18 12:00 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I don’t have a check engine light yet. I’m going to have to try starting the car with the radio off to see if there’s any new noise.  Is there a way I can inspect the chain to try and catch it before it makes noise?

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/29/18 12:17 p.m.

Going way back to april...did you inspect the plugs at all when you pulled them?

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/29/18 12:23 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Plugs looked great but I threw new ones in since I was there.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/3/18 8:07 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

When i restarted the car after work it ran fine, and continued to do so the rest of the week never setting off the CEL.  Getting up for work saturday it started acting up again, refusing to run below about 1500 rpm and the light came on for an advanced intake cam.  I took the train to work and when I got home replaced both solenoids in the parking lot at Advance in about 15 minutes.  I may be paranoid but I am assuming if the intake screens were gummed up the exhaust may not be far behind.  They had both in AC Delco with a 20% off code so for about $85 i was done.  I also replaced the battery because it was 5 years old and I needed a jump after work the other day. We put 500 miles on it this weekend and it ran fine the whole time.  Thanks again for the answers.  i don't seem to have any noticeable rattling on start up so i'm hoping the chains are still doing well.

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/4/18 5:27 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

Yeah, I usually replace both at the same time as well. I've done it before where I replace only the one throwing a code and then a week later it comes back stalling again and throwing a code for the other solenoid.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bjftp129TInT7MJvT66iQIduDeKUU4ks8sIslNWRZa6J2sYnalc412F2Tq9CsIk0