1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/10/21 1:17 p.m.

Quick!

Give me your best recipe involving chicken.  Nothing fancy or pretentious, cannot involve marinating or anything.  But I want something different- something we haven't done yet.  

I have a pack of boneless chicken breasts thawing on the sink and I need to whip up dinner in 2.5 hours. 

Nothing too spicy - littlest VCH-let doesn't like spicy.

Recipe with the most upvotes will be chosen by me to prepare tonight.  In the event of a tie, the one submitted first will get the nod. 

I promise to report back with pictures and a family review!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/10/21 1:23 p.m.

Bake chicken.

Box of mac and cheese 

Can of mild rotel tomatoes 

Bag of bacon bits

Mix and serve. 

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
3/10/21 1:29 p.m.

Boneless, right?  Boil and shred, then mix with taco seasoning, taco sauce or salsa for Mexican chicken tacos.  Serve over rice - bowl, chips or wrap - and shred some cheese on top.  Kids like to assemble their own.

Too much work?  Cut it to cubes and pan fry instead of boil.  Or grill and slice but then your taco becomes a fajita and you're expected to grill some peppers and onions too

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/10/21 1:35 p.m.

One of my favorite recipes.  I increase the heat with lots of poblanos and sometimes jalapenos, but you can go back to bell peppers and delete the green chiles

Saute' thin strips of bell pepper and yellow onions in olive oil, with ground garlic, until the onions are just clarified.

Add thinly sliced chicken tenderloins, tomatillo salsa, a small can of green chiles, chili powder, cumin, salt, a touch of ground sage, a little chopped cilantro if you have it. (Slice the meat while it's still partially frozen)

Thicken slightly with cornstarch, top with shredded monterey or pepperjack cheese just before serving, cover skillet long enough for cheese to melt.

Note: Poblano peppers can be substituted for the bell pepper if a little more heat is desired.  Scrape out the seeds, but leave the white veins in the pepper, and delete the can of green chiles.

Serve inside a tortilla, or with a tortilla on the side to help mop up the juices and such.

To cut the veggies thinly I cut them 1/8" thin.  Once the veggies are cooked I turn the heat up high and leave it in place long enough to give a little bit of char.

First, smash up saltines. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Dredge each breast in eggwash. cover in saltine crumbs.

Get a pan good and hot. Cook chicken on one side, flip and place in a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake until done-maybe 20 minutes.

Mashed potaoes are a good side. Carrots? Broccoli?

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
3/10/21 1:37 p.m.

Oven-baked chicken nuggets.   My nephew helped me make these when he was 6: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/273852/easy-baked-chicken-tenders/  His younger sister didn't want to help, but enjoyed eating them.   If you have a tube of polenta, you can serve with bite-size grilled cheese sandwiches: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-polenta-grilled-cheese-with-zesty-marinara-226992 

Salt, pepper, paprika, and bake until 165-170 degrees. Must use a metal pan. Since you don't have any thighs, add a little butter to the pan. Make a gravy for rice with the drippings. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/10/21 2:06 p.m.

No peek chicken. It's a widely available recipe out there. Normally needs a crockpot but can be done in the oven for about 45 min at 350.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
3/10/21 2:10 p.m.

- In a large skillet heat coconut oil

- add chicken and bay leaves: cover and cook for 10 minutes

- flip chicken, cover, cook for 5 minutes

- add vegetables of choice (I usually go for carrots, broccoli, and bell peppers)

add 1 cup of basmati rice and 2 cups of water: cover, bring to boil then simmer until done.

You can add other herbs and spices in step one. You can sub olive oil if you prefer. You can add a hot pepper with the other vegetables if you want spice. I usually throw carrots in when I flip the chicken since they take longer to cook than softer vegetables. Salt to taste. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/10/21 2:10 p.m.

Easy, creamy, awesome chicken and rice.

Cube the chicken.

Butter a 9x13 glass casserole dish. pour in 1.5 cups of white rice, uncooked, 3 cups water (or chicken broth) and 1 can of condensed mushroom soup.

Throw in a little black pepper (but not much) and a dash of garlic powder and whisk it together (yes, in the dish.) 

Add the chicken chunks on top, push them down in the liquid. Bake uncovered at 400*F until water is mostly absorbed and chicken is done, usually about 45 min. Ideally you want it to be thicker (or maybe dryer?) than you think. 

Once it's out of the oven, stir in milk until it reaches your desired creamy consistency, and add butter to your desired level of heart blockage. Salt (and pepper) to taste.

Works best with cambells soup and dark meat, IMHO, and I like it fairly peppery.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
3/10/21 2:13 p.m.

I already answered this question...

Roadkill Chicken

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/10/21 2:13 p.m.

Bake or broil, chop, cool, add mayo, pecans, dried cranberries & curry.  Serve on lettuce or soft rolls; give the rest to your neighbors.

Buy a new freezer.....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/10/21 2:16 p.m.

Chix + Veggies in a pot  of  water, add this much water [ ] , simmer and make chicken broth for soups? 

WonkoTheSane (FS)
WonkoTheSane (FS) SuperDork
3/10/21 2:22 p.m.

We often have chicken quesadillas, where you pan-fry up the chicken, add in your taco seasonings, beans, peppers, etc.   In a separate skillet, toss a tortilla shell in, throw down some mexican blend shredded cheese, add a bit of your filling, top with cheese and fold the shell closed.  Make two a time.

Even lazier:  Make some pasta with red sauce, pan fry chicken with some breading, throw on top of pasta and cover with cheese, wha-la, you've made chicken parm.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/10/21 2:41 p.m.

My "lazy single guy" method - cook on George Forman grill; cut into ~1" pieces; use as topping on salad; refrigerate leftovers.  I'll get 3-4 salads out of a 1 lb. package of boneless chicken breasts doing this.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/10/21 3:12 p.m.

Here's my entry: Lime chicken.

Cut the chicken into nugget sized pieces. Roll in cornmeal with some salt and pepper.

Heat peanut or canola oil in a skillet and fry chicken until done.

Take the chicken out of the skillet and put in a little more oil. Cook two diced shallots in the oil until translucent, then dump in about 1/2 cup chicken broth. Boil to about half its original volume, then add the juice of two limes.

Pour the lime-shallot gravy over the chicken, garnish with cillantro and lime slices, and serve.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/10/21 3:20 p.m.

Pound them pieces flat, then drizzle grape seed oil over them. Season with salt, cracked pepper and paprika. Then place in a pre heated cast iron skillet on medium to high heat for 4 minutes per a side. Then cover in herbs de provance and place in a pre heated 350 oven for 45-55 minutes depending on how thick the chicken breast are. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/10/21 5:32 p.m.

Since nothing else has gotten many votes and you promised to cook the most popular....

Put chicken in pocket. Open craigslist. Purchase the first Miata you see. Grab fast food on your way home from picking it up. Post pics on the forum. Discard pocket chicken. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
3/10/21 5:35 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Since nothing else has gotten many votes and you promised to cook the most popular....

Put chicken in pocket. Open craigslist. Purchase the first Miata you see. Grab fast food on your way home from picking it up. Post pics on the forum. Discard pocket chicken. 

Like always a Miata solves the Worlds Problems.......

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/10/21 5:40 p.m.

Last night the missus decided to go retro and made "Chicken ala King"

It was ridiculously tasty, simple and pretty fast. It made me think I need more pimentos in my diet

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/10/21 5:55 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

That's a better alternative then the other idea I had, which was to go full reddit and post a recipe that would be absolutely terrible in the hopes that people would pick up what was going down and vote it up. VCH is local, but the hospital still doesn't have open visitation, so I'd be safe. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/10/21 9:57 p.m.

Luckily, my arbitrary cut off happened around 4PM, so I missed out on the pocket chicken Miata.  At that point, the only recipe with any upvotes was the roadkill chicken deal.   So, that was the winner. 

Except, I didn't have all the ingredients, so this is how I made it:

Took 3 big ass chicken tiddies, and drenched them in a concoction of eggs, yoghurt, chicken broth, paprika, salt and pepper.  If I squinted real hard, this sort of looked like "Cream of Something Soup".  Then I grabbed an old bag of bread from the freezer, shredded it up, and plopped the chicken tiddies from the egg mixture over to the breading.  I then arranged them in a 9" pie plate, and sprinked them with raw diced onion.  I thought I was going to strike out on the bacon until I realized we had a pound of homemade bacon I'd been letting cure in the fridge.  Grabbed 3 strips of that and laid it over the breaded chicken tiddies.  Covered the whole mess with foil and into the ovenator at 425 for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, I got a pot of water on the boil, cooked up a pound of spaghetti, and dumped the cooked s'ghetti into a colander.  In the pasta pot I then melted 1/2 a stick of butter, into which I sautee'd about a half-dozen minced fresh garlic cloves.  a little salt, a little pepper, some white wine vinegar, then dumped the s'ghetti intot he sauce, mixed it all up and added some dried parsley. 

Around this time the chicken was done, so I unfoiled it and layered on motzarella- didn't have any swiss, and the kiddos don't really prefer it, anyway.  Melted that for 5 minutes in the oven, then dished out the pasta with chicken brestesteseses on top.  Threw together a quick salad for Mrs. VCH and myself, and cut up some raw veggies for the little VCHs, and called it a meal.

Thuh tiddies:

Thuh pasta:

All in attendance proclaimed it "edible". 

Thanks for all the other recipes, too.  I'll bookmark this page so I can come back to it the next time it's dad's turn to cook.  Looking forward to trying some of your other creations.

Except the pocket chicken Miata one. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/10/21 11:26 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

This is such a solid and in good fun troll.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/11/21 12:07 a.m.

Pro tip: salt any chicken as soon as it is defrosted and promptly start marinating it in Greek yogurt, buttermilk, or Italian dressing ASAP. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
3/11/21 2:03 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Thanks for all the other recipes, too.  I'll bookmark this page so I can come back to it the next time it's dad's turn to cook.  Looking forward to trying some of your other creations.

I didn't offer this before, because the timing probably wouldn't have worked out. And I don't know if/how a crock-pot would integrate into your schedule, etc caveats. Since you're coming back for more, we tried this recipe a couple nights ago. It turned out well, even despite lack of access and/or improvisation of one or two ingredients:

https://www.wellplated.com/crockpot-mexican-chicken

"proof":

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ngMXLFskV6HmIMWxrwlm2pjyhkLLtrSGaGWWpTWf7CUb61FmZ6fMNeda16HGNSXr