NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/4/14 11:49 a.m.

Within 5 years I expect to be calling the work bit quits. As much as I like living in Canada, I am not a fan of the winter and less so every year.

So, outside of the USA, any suggestions on good spots to hide for 3- 4 months? The warm weather is the easy bit, but also need something to do when there.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/4/14 12:35 p.m.

A lot of our retirees go down to Costa Rica. I don't know what they do there but it might be worth looking in to.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/4/14 1:19 p.m.

costa rica is insanely expensive... Panama has become a fav for retirees for a reason

Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
10/4/14 1:46 p.m.

Costa Rica and Belize are both really nice but starting to jump up in price. Dominican Republic gets you a bit more bang for your buck. Roatan Island Honduras is nice too and underdeveloped but a bit more of a risk. My wife and I are still quite a ways from retirement but we check out the potential in every country we holiday. I suggest you rent for at least a season before you commit to buy.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/4/14 1:54 p.m.

I lived in the DR for a couple of years. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to retire there.

I've been to Panama twice in the last year. That's my vote.

Strong North American influence, great history, incredible restaurants, world class beaches and tourist spots, easy access, incredible retirement benefits, best deep sea fishing and coral reefs in the world, and very reasonable prices (if you do it right- it is also possible to live very high on the hog).

It's the commerce intersection of the world.

Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
10/4/14 2:01 p.m.

In reply to SVREX: Personally I wouldn't want to live in any of these places full time but I'd be happy to hang out there from sometime in December until the end of March. We haven't visited Panama yet but maybe we should plan to this winter. Where in Panama would you recommend?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/4/14 2:32 p.m.

Technically, December/ January is their "Summer". Well, not really, but they call it that.

The temperature in Panama rarely leaves the 80's. Ever.

But December- April is the dry season. It never rains. The rest of the year is the rainy season- heavy rains most every afternoon, but only for an hour or 2.

The capital is extremely metropolitan- it's called the New York of Latin America. There isn't anything you can't find, and the prices are high. There are 5 different huge historic districts which date back to the 1500's.

The southern coast and eastern coast of the Azuero Pennisula are beautiful tourist coastlines, with a strong presences of expats.

The northern coast and the western coast of the Azuero are not very developed.

Inland and the western part of the country are mountainous and cool. Great birding, eco-tours, and incredible flora.

Even in the city it is not unusual to see a tree sloth, monkey, or other.

Of course, the Panama Canal is a must see, regardless of where you go. It's an engineering marvel.

It's also quite a business environment. The Colon Free Trade zone is the 2nd largest in the world (second only to Hong Kong).

It is, however, still a developing country. It definitely has some weirdness. It's not Paris.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/4/14 2:43 p.m.

having lived in Panama for 6 years... it's a great place... went back for a few months a few years ago... it changed a lot but is by far the most americanised (SP?) of the central american countries... it's a popular retirement spot for good reason... but in the time you are thinking about it will be dry season... so it'll be fairly hot, the daily showers of rainy season add a lot of humidity but it also helps cool things down a bit... at least though most of the country... if you get up into the mountains like in el valle it's known as having "eternal spring"... if you like island living one of the islands in Bocas del toro is a real neat area and apparently doesn't see the same dry season the other areas do. If I where to live there though I'd prob choose someone near the old military bases/panama city for convince...

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/4/14 2:45 p.m.

I did spend 13 years living in Puerto Rico, and 5 in Nigeria, so I can handle some rough edges if the place is interesting. Panama is certainly on the list.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/4/14 3:00 p.m.

you speak spanish well? if so you can make due in most any of latin america... most all of them have some nice place to live :)

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
10/4/14 3:04 p.m.

There are some places in the USA that are very non-typical compared to US living. New Orleans, Parts of Los Angeles, Phoenix, Santa Fe, Miami, Hawaii. The cultures, geography, and demographics there are rather different.

If you have the money, go tropical. I hear there are some wonderful places in Mexico if you get past the depressed, crime-ish, touristy places. Colima, Veracruz, and the Yucatan I hear are lovely (but I've never been)

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/4/14 4:05 p.m.

I enjoyed the Florida Keys much more than I thought I would. I liked it enough to go back next year.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/4/14 4:15 p.m.

Australia, because its full of Aussies, we have a better Coral Reef too

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/4/14 4:28 p.m.

You left out the part where everything is potentially poisonous and deadly

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/4/14 5:15 p.m.
donalson wrote: you speak spanish well? if so you can make due in most any of latin america... most all of them have some nice place to live :)

Yeah, pretty much at the native Puerto Rican level. Can also get by in French, Portuguese and Italian if I have to. The wife not so much though, so I have to keep that in mind.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/4/14 5:42 p.m.

What better way to learn a foreign language then having to find the bathroom in a strange land?

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/4/14 9:35 p.m.
Wally wrote: You left out the part where everything is potentially poisonous and deadly

That's for sure. Plus the need to learn a new language

Been there a few times and the flights are killer.

I hear Arizona is good, and you would think that since I was born there I might have a urge to return. But then I was out at age of two weeks, so not like I have a lot of fond memories!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/4/14 9:49 p.m.

I've been to Panama, but it's been a while. It's hot there. Really hot. And that sun will rip the hide right off a white boy in 20 minutes. Of course, I never got much above sea level. It is an interesting place, though.

NW Arkansas is a nice retirement place. Bunch of retirees up (down fer Canuks) here.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/5/14 12:05 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I've been to Panama, but it's been a while. It's hot there. Really hot. And that sun will rip the hide right off a white boy in 20 minutes. Of course, I never got much above sea level. It is an interesting place, though. NW Arkansas is a nice retirement place. Bunch of retirees up (down fer Canuks) here.

I went in the summer, I was amused to compare the weather while I was there with "home" in Pensacola... it was frequently cooler and less humid than the FL summer lol.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
10/5/14 12:24 a.m.
Wally wrote: You left out the part where everything is potentially poisonous and deadly

And unlike America, you aren't allowed to have guns to shoot at said deadly things.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
10/5/14 1:06 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: NW Arkansas is a nice retirement place.

Not quite NW, but I've been to Heber springs and I loved it.

I'll be in the same boat in a few years, though I may choose to work winters for the first few, so we've been having this same discussion at home. I did ask about retiring in the U.S. south a few years ago and got some interesting responses.

EDIT: my memory is better than I thought

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/learn-me-down-south/45216/page1/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DASNhYT33hCuaXIrzqp5WJ6gTftGHdqg3qvYdLOpCwTVv5Z7RV75EAv87GEtFaqR