1 2
Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
1/15/21 10:02 a.m.

To look up old posts, unless I'm truly an idiot and don't know we ever had one

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/15/21 10:05 a.m.

I'm an idiot too. My searching ability is lame. And I cant figure how to follow or unfollow posts.

Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude)
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) MegaDork
1/15/21 10:12 a.m.

There is a search function at the top of the page that works pretty well. It runs through Google. It helps if you remember most or at least part of the thread title. These guys have a lot of threads on similar topics. They are also know for titles that have nothing to do with the thread content. You can end up pages down searching for a specific thread. 

To follow posts, click the eye just under the thread title. 

To unfollow, open your watchlist in the jump down box and click Remove next to the tread title. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/15/21 10:19 a.m.

Best bet, and this is for any forum even with a good search function (and I thought that the GRM search was finally working?) is typing this into google: 

Corvair Monza site:grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/

The bolded part would be your search term, the "site:grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/" part limits the search to the GRM forum. You can go further with that to search specific forums, too: 

• Off Topic would be "site:grassrootsmotrsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/"
  • Main forum would be "site:grassrootsmotrsports.com/forum/grm/"
  • Builds and projects is "site:grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/"
  • Cars for sale is "site:grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/"

Honestly, I don't see how the forum could have a better search function than using that google search. No, it isn't as polished, but it is more accurate and better than anything else I've seen. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
1/15/21 10:22 a.m.

Totally overlooked that top search icon.  When clicked on it said powered by Google so I just assumed to just searched Google and not the forum

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/15/21 10:22 a.m.
jimbob_racing said:

I'm an idiot too. My searching ability is lame. And I cant figure how to follow or unfollow posts.

Click the "eyeball" at the top of the topic.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/15/21 10:23 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

Honestly, I don't see how the forum could have a better search function than using that google search. No, it isn't as polished, but it is more accurate and better than anything else I've seen. 

You can't tell it to search topic titles only.  You can't search for posts only from a specific user.  You can't search by the date of the post.  You can't search for threads wtih a min # of replies.  

You can do all of that with the standard vbulletin search.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
1/15/21 10:23 a.m.

I just wish I could look at the 'Topics I started' and my individual post.  If GRM had that whew. How much money you need from me?

iansane
iansane Reader
1/15/21 10:26 a.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

There is a search function at the top of the page that works pretty well. It runs through Google. It helps if you remember most or at least part of the thread title.

I've always had pretty good luck with the search function. You just had to realize the first few results are Ads and once you've searched the terms you want to specify searching the forum and not "all results". It's not stellar but useful.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/15/21 10:42 a.m.
yupididit said:

I just wish I could look at the 'Topics I started' and my individual post.  If GRM had that whew. Hope much money you need from me?

That would be great

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/15/21 11:04 a.m.

Thanks everyone. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
1/15/21 11:18 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

You can't tell it to search topic titles only.  You can't search for posts only from a specific user.  You can't search by the date of the post.  You can't search for threads wtih a min # of replies.  

You can do all of that with the standard vbulletin search.

Good points. 

Katie Suddard
Katie Suddard Advertising Coordinator
1/15/21 11:21 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

If you click on your icon in the top right (for your profile) the page will have a thing that says how many times you've posted on the forum. "see my posts" will show all threads you've started or posted in. Hope this helps!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/15/21 11:33 a.m.

I keep hoping one day GRM will adopt forum software  like Vbullitan or whatever similar to most of the other forums. Coming here (if you frequent other forums) is like having 10 cars with knob radios and one with some other system like touch screen. If you don't use the features of the touch screen frequently you can't remember how to use certain functions. Click an eyeball? Use google? What if I do the Hokey Pokey?

This forum seems outdated by several years compared to other forums. Search is a joke. No notifications if people posted in your threads. No way to easily look up your previous posts, threads started,  etc. etc.

The proliferation of content posted by the staff buries threads so quickly it's getting annoying. Seems like certain staffers have a full time job finding stuff to post here about. Sometimes as much as 1/2 the topics on the first page of "latest topics" is click bait. AND, now with ads in between.

I would think since GRM has a company that takes care of the website it'd be among the best with forum features not one of the worst.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/15/21 11:38 a.m.
Katie Suddard said:

In reply to yupididit :

If you click on your icon in the top right (for your profile) the page will have a thing that says how many times you've posted on the forum. "see my posts" will show all threads you've started or posted in. Hope this helps!

Have ya ever tried to look up one of your old posts that way from years ago if you've posted in thousands of threads? There's pages, and pages, and pages. and pages, and pages,  of the most recent posts in threads but not your posts.

In reply to NOT A TA :

As someone who really doesn't like vBullitan, I'm hoping they don't change. I will grant you this board has a few quirks, but I prefer it over the canned versions.

That could be because I'm on here more than all other forums I frequent combined and it's what I'm used to.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
1/15/21 2:14 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

As someone who really doesn't like vBullitan, I'm hoping they don't change. I will grant you this board has a few quirks, but I prefer it over the canned versions.

That could be because I'm on here more than all other forums I frequent combined and it's what I'm used to.

I could have written this exact post.

Carson
Carson SuperDork
1/15/21 2:22 p.m.

Recently, I had a question that I knew must've been discussed on here and used the search at the top. When I found the answer I was looking for it was in a post I made 12 years ago! I guess I forgot.

I agree about the Topics I Started, that would be great. 

2_3
2_3 New Reader
1/15/21 2:50 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

This will search by title:

intitle:"search topic function" site:https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/

This will search by date:

intitle:ford site:https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ before:2012-12-12 after:2010

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
1/15/21 3:05 p.m.
Katie Suddard said:

In reply to yupididit :

I knew about that.  But that just brings up a list of threads that I've participated in, in order of most recently posted in by others. I'll still have to browse through the thread (which could be dozens of pages or 100+) to find my post. I can't even search that particular thread. 

I'm sure a more precise and proper search function would require a huge forum change and lots of money. It's my biggest complaint about the forum, which is a good thing. I'm ready when yall are! 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
1/15/21 3:12 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Is there something that's inherently wrong with Vbulletan? Serious question, because I don't dislike it. Rather I haven't noticed any faults that would make me run away from a forum simply for using it. 

And I'm sure Vbulletan isn't the only forum software that can provide a comprehensive search function rather than a GRM fishing net on Google. 

I only complain about the search function here because I spend 99% of my internet-forum time on this forum. I'm also used to it just like you are, but an upgrade or efficient-changes are also welcomed.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/15/21 4:52 p.m.
2_3 said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

This will search by title:

intitle:"search topic function" site:https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/

Thank you! 

2_3 said:

This will search by date:

intitle:ford site:https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ before:2012-12-12 after:2010

That searches by topic date, or by post date?

I knew you could search by date on google, but usually it's going off the last page update.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/15/21 4:57 p.m.

Interesting to see anyone that doesn't like vbulletin.  Its hilariously superior to this forum from a user perspective.

But I come here for the content, so as long as this forum remains somewhat useable, I'll deal with it.  Plus, I'm sure the GRM staff gets tired of hearing us complain about it :)

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/15/21 5:23 p.m.

Coming here when you frequent forums with modern features is like living where almost all the cars are left side drive and then switching to right side drive when you come here. Don't like Vbulletin? How about Invision? https://invisioncommunity.com/features/

I don't care what it is, as long as it has features like modern forums. Heck ya can't even directly copy and paste for third party hosted pics to this forum unless you know you need to CTRL V or click an icon and insert. We should at least be able to right click & paste like the rest of the internet.

Almost every business has to evolve over time as the world changes, forums are no different. We don't move windshield wipers on our cars by hand anymore or pump a windshield washer with our foot.

In reply to yupididit :

My biggest issue is layout and the bells and whistles I dont use cluttering it up. 

Much like my current truck has all the options I don't want or need. I went from a Chevy WT to a Chevy LTZ. I really wish I had stayed with a WT. Simple is not only good, it is preferred.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t9CcXo3sXfNzMAD6K0RxQO8iqY2SONkIVKzAEGN4NfSWiPxLmBWW8SRSdKQnO2Xw