1 2
NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/15/21 5:27 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Interesting to see anyone that doesn't like vbulletin.  Its hilariously superior to this forum from a user perspective.

But I come here for the content, so as long as this forum remains somewhat useable, I'll deal with it.  Plus, I'm sure the GRM staff gets tired of hearing us complain about it :)

^^^ This. AND, I also come here for the content provided by members, particularly the wide range of projects. I follow ones I'd never be interested in doing myself just because it's interesting to see what other folks are working on.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/15/21 5:43 p.m.

Something that the brain trust at GRM headquarters might also consider is that when we're on other forums we don't post very many links to threads posted on this forum because it's too much effort to find a thread we know we saw sometime in the past here. So we're not sending potential new customers so to speak.

I leave my recent issues of GRM in doctors office waiting rooms after I've read them just to "spread the word",  because it's easy. If it weighed 20 lbs I wouldn't bother because it's too much work. Posting links on other forums to steer folks to threads here is kinda the same way, too much work just trying to find the thread to get a link.

2_3
2_3 New Reader
2/9/21 1:18 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
2_3 said:

This will search by date:

intitle:ford site:https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ before:2012-12-12 after:2010

That searches by topic date, or by post date?

I knew you could search by date on google, but usually it's going off the last page update.

Seems like it uses the topic date

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
2/9/21 1:23 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

Something that the brain trust at GRM headquarters might also consider is that when we're on other forums we don't post very many links to threads posted on this forum because it's too much effort to find a thread we know we saw sometime in the past here. So we're not sending potential new customers so to speak.

I leave my recent issues of GRM in doctors office waiting rooms after I've read them just to "spread the word",  because it's easy. If it weighed 20 lbs I wouldn't bother because it's too much work. Posting links on other forums to steer folks to threads here is kinda the same way, too much work just trying to find the thread to get a link.

Additionally, being able to post a link to a specific post in a thread would be useful.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/9/21 1:37 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
NOT A TA said:

Additionally, being able to post a link to a specific post in a thread would be useful.

You can.  your post

Its a pain in the ass though.  You can drill down through the elements and find the post ids for each post on the page.  Then you change the URL to the correct page and post #.  You can't cut and paste the id #, so you have to do it manually :(

first post on page

I agree it would be really nice to include this in the header for each post.  Shouldn't be a difficult thing to do as the info is already there.

obsolete
obsolete Reader
2/9/21 2:12 p.m.

An easier way to get the post IDs that ProDarwin is talking about is to just click the Edit button (if it's one of your posts). The post ID will be in the URL, and you can copy it from there.

I agree, all the functionality to link to individual posts is there, it would be nice to have a more user-friendly way to do it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/9/21 2:59 p.m.

Good point.  If it is your post, you can just click edit.  If its anyone else's, get digging :/

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/9/21 10:33 p.m.

I have never looked at many other forums, so can't compare if they are any better or worse. I would guess some of both. I prolly agree with the  folks that think that a change could easily make this worse.

But is is definitely NOT a very usable search function.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
2/10/21 11:42 a.m.
03Panther said:

I have never looked at many other forums, so can't compare if they are any better or worse. I would guess some of both. I prolly agree with the  folks that think that a change could easily make this worse.

But is is definitely NOT a very usable search function.

It's not "just" the search function. This forum is primitive compared to what most others are currently using. I frequent about 10 forums daily and probably another 15 occasionally. 

Almost every business has to evolve as time goes by. This forum is a business as indicated by the advertising. It's really only a matter of time before something will have to be done. Why not be a leader instead of playing catch up?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/10/21 11:45 a.m.
bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/10/21 11:48 a.m.
NOT A TA said:
Katie Suddard said:

In reply to yupididit :

If you click on your icon in the top right (for your profile) the page will have a thing that says how many times you've posted on the forum. "see my posts" will show all threads you've started or posted in. Hope this helps!

Have ya ever tried to look up one of your old posts that way from years ago if you've posted in thousands of threads? There's pages, and pages, and pages. and pages, and pages,  of the most recent posts in threads but not your posts.

Hmm, wonder if you could use google like MTN detailed to search your own posts using that address.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
2/10/21 9:37 p.m.
bluej (Forum Supporter) said:
NOT A TA said:
Katie Suddard said:

In reply to yupididit :

If you click on your icon in the top right (for your profile) the page will have a thing that says how many times you've posted on the forum. "see my posts" will show all threads you've started or posted in. Hope this helps!

Have ya ever tried to look up one of your old posts that way from years ago if you've posted in thousands of threads? There's pages, and pages, and pages. and pages, and pages,  of the most recent posts in threads but not your posts.

Hmm, wonder if you could use google like MTN detailed to search your own posts using that address.

My point is that it's 2021 and on other forums you can quickly (and very easily) bring up info for yourself. Threads started, individual posts made, threads you've posted in,  etc. And that's just a few of the search features available now. There's so many other features available on forums now they make this forum look like it's been the same since dial up modems.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5mFwPLJLxXmcsX5FtbnQbD03cv9RAhKZee4RbETinr61qAI93ziRSOIJ6iV4vCjJ