1 2
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/25/11 9:14 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: yes, electric...similar to what goes under the kitchen/bathroom floors in "Fancy" houses. The stuff only requires a skim coat to isolate the mat from any sharp objects.
The thing is, those electric mats don't have a lot of horsepower - they're enough to warm the bathroom floor so your bare feet don't get cold but they won't do much to actually warm up the room.

youd be surprised...they will definitely take he edge off...if you can raise the floor temp to maybe 70°, that heat, over that square footage, will drive up ambient room temps. Its a matter of BTUs/sq ft. I would still add a I/R room heater too, like posted above. The point is that theres no need to blow yourself up/smother yourself from fumes/burn down the garage with burning things...electric is easier to use, maintain and is safer in the long run.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
10/25/11 9:25 a.m.

Thanks for all your time and input. I will bale on the wood stove idea. I do have propane drop in the garage but at almost $2 a gallon it gets pricey.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/24/14 11:13 a.m.

Wood burning stoves.

Funny, no one ever mentions disposing of the ashes.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/24/14 11:37 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Wood burning stoves. Funny, no one ever mentions disposing of the ashes.

The ex- saves them for her father to take and add to his composting piles at home and the farm. She also has a little "dumping area" along the back edge of her property. By the time she is ready to dump the ashes, they've usually been sitting in a small bucket next to the stove or a 5 gal steel holding can for well over a month, so getting rid of the ashes isn't an issue.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/1/18 4:48 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
10/1/18 8:27 a.m.

the cost of propane and kersone/4.50 plus per gal. makes me want wood also as it's free for the effort of making a tree firewood.  I also was thinking of a single burner from a BBQ INSIDE MY LITTLE BUCK STOVE heater, once the whole thing got hot a small fan would move the hot air.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/6/19 6:23 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
4/5/22 9:24 a.m.

Something about having a metal box with fire in it,  in the same small room as combustible chemicals makes me say no to the idea.  I realize plenty of people do this without problem.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/5/22 3:22 p.m.
iceracer said:

Wood burning stoves.

Funny, no one ever mentions disposing of the ashes.

Put them in the garden or in your flower beds.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/5/22 3:22 p.m.

BTW, where did ECM go?  

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/5/22 4:07 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

She posted in the meme thread in the last week or so. Probably got tired of dealing with us. I know I would.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
4/5/22 6:27 p.m.
Sultan said:

Thanks for all your time and input. I will bale on the wood stove idea. I do have propane drop in the garage but at almost $2 a gallon it gets pricey.

My friend rebuilds vintage stoves , 

he has one from the 195os that was wood and propane !

so it was a thing at one time !

GeddesB
GeddesB Reader
4/5/22 7:18 p.m.

My neighbor and I both run coal stove in our garages.  They stay running all the time.  My garage stays about 40* above ambient, which is pretty much above freezing all winter.  This season I plan to insulate and that should get better as well as consumption rate.  Common sense can keep the fire factor under control.  Living in coal country is the only way coal makes sense.  

WillG80
WillG80 Reader
4/5/22 7:33 p.m.

I recently installed a pellet stove in my garage. It's detached with only 110V so electric or gas wasn't an option. While a little more expensive than traditional wood, it's much safer and can run unattended all day. I flip the switch in the morning, then come back 30 minutes later when it's warmed up. So far I've been pleased. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zo38L2ugSL6MLIpPsoYL0v0ZyObuFZzfm0pdHi4XWl8Mo9EAcAsgGxTf2Zt0arEL