1 2 3 4
Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
9/21/20 9:47 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

That's how a few market economy works. If you can't find workers, you aren't paying enough, plain and simple.

Try telling that to corporate management or even HR. My company already said, if you don't like it, go work at McDonalds. I had to tell the SOB that Target pays $15 an hour now. His jaw dropped. This is not for me but for the people they are wanting to hire and they usually quit the next day or before the week is out

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/21/20 9:59 p.m.

It's not just "you're not paying enough". We're having a hard time finding box chuckers for the warehouse. Usually we'd call up our local temp agency to grab someone but they just don't have anyone. Why not? Because getting paid to sit on your ass right now is too good a deal. This has happened in the last six months, it's not a long-term situation.

I'm not falling for the "the boss started at $5, these new kids get $15 thing" either. First thing I did was check the CPI. The boss got a better deal.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
9/21/20 10:08 p.m.

That's how a few market economy works. If you can't find workers, you aren't paying enough, plain and simple.

Then explain guys earning by piece work. Same company, same job, same pay. The guy that is ready by 7, works until 3, doesn't play on his phone, etc. makes double what the guy that rolls in at 7ish,, takes a longer lunch,  a few breaks, and is rolling out at 2:45. The only one saying the job doesn't pay enough is #2. I see it everyday. 

NoviceClass
NoviceClass New Reader
9/22/20 12:24 a.m.

Sat behind a school bus at a stop light light few days back. Sign on the back for hiring drivers, seasonal part time work. Pay:  $15.60-25.65 an hour.  Don't know qualifications, but damn, $600 a week driving a school bus 4 or 5 hours a day?  Great supplemental income for someone. This is in Oklahoma...flyover country.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
9/22/20 2:13 a.m.

Well here we are, 3am and guess what. My phone rings, and I have to run his route today.

I've got four dumpsters in two different counties on my dispatch board already, no telling what will get added.

You can only stretch your good employees so far.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/22/20 6:08 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

It's amazing how many people don't want to work, but wonder why they're broke. It's never their fault though. 

Who said either of these two guys were broke or complaining about money? 

I think that the prevailing thought is that a company won't have any problem cutting a person loose if it suits them so there's really no reason to be loyal to a company.  Companies are also not that loyal to each other if they don't have to be.  It isn't fun for the folks that stay around and are there to pick up the slack that gets created when someone leaves... but if the company can't convince a person to stay, it really shouldn't be surprising.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/22/20 6:16 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Then explain guys earning by piece work. Same company, same job, same pay. The guy that is ready by 7, works until 3, doesn't play on his phone, etc. makes double what the guy that rolls in at 7ish,, takes a longer lunch,  a few breaks, and is rolling out at 2:45. The only one saying the job doesn't pay enough is #2. I see it everyday. 

Well yeah, the second guy has checked out.  Not saying it's right or "okay" or whatever.  He's just done and really should be looking for his next adventure.  Most people don't though and that sucks, too.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/22/20 6:43 a.m.

I work an air conditioned job that sadly will hire anyone no experience at all required (this is why you guys dislike parts people) with decent pay for the area and we still couldn't find people until the unemployment bonus ended. I had friends making much more on unemployment then the factory's they work at pay. We have had some recent luck atleast 

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/22/20 7:32 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

It's amazing how many people don't want to work, but wonder why they're broke. It's never their fault though. 

It's also amazing that the hardest, most physical, and hard environment work is also paid the least. 

So much for hard work paying off 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/22/20 8:21 a.m.
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
9/22/20 8:26 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:
Steve_Jones said:

Who said either of these two guys were broke or complaining about money? 

I think that the prevailing thought is that a company won't have any problem cutting a person loose if it suits them so there's really no reason to be loyal to a company.  Companies are also not that loyal to each other if they don't have to be.  It isn't fun for the folks that stay around and are there to pick up the slack that gets created when someone leaves... but if the company can't convince a person to stay, it really shouldn't be surprising.

Who said I was just talking about those 2 guys?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/22/20 8:52 a.m.

Yeah, I think Steve was talking about the royal two guys.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/22/20 9:54 a.m.

In reply to BoostedBrandon :

No one wants that work, even though it pays a lot better than most of the E36 M3 they'll do instead. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/22/20 10:34 a.m.

Walmart is going to start paying https://www.lex18.com/news/covering-the-nation/walmart-to-raise-wages-paying-staff-up-to-30-an-hour

Amazon pays $19 an hour plus benefits to pack boxes..  This will go up soon..  

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/scarcity.asp

ohh boy..  Gonna get fun soon...

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/22/20 10:38 a.m.

one last thing..  I'm 40.. I've been hearing the noone wants to work refrain since I started working as a paperboy at the age of 11.  My dad heard it.. My dad's dad heard it..  

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/22/20 10:49 a.m.

When's the last time you asked, or demanded a raise? They know you can handle multiple roles, fill in whenever as needed and are reliable. 

Go ask for a 30% bump or tell them you'll walk. They can't find anybody to fill the open slots they have let alone to replace you and that's their problem, not yours. Plus it'll keep you from being pissed when the new hire comes on board making $2 an hour more than you. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/22/20 10:57 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

When's the last time you asked, or demanded a raise? They know you can handle multiple roles, fill in whenever as needed and are reliable. 

Go ask for a 30% bump or tell them you'll walk. They can't find anybody to fill the open slots they have let alone to replace you and that's their problem, not yours. Plus it'll keep you from being pissed when the new hire comes on board making $2 an hour more than you. 

This. Do this sooner rather than later.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/22/20 11:08 a.m.

Our garbage guys were Union.  A raise might not happen. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/22/20 11:09 a.m.
Mndsm said:

No one wants that work, even though it pays a lot better than most of the E36 M3 they'll do instead. 

You left that sentence unfinished. No one wants that work ••••••••• At those wages. 

There  is a price where people will work at but it's got to be more than they can get sitting in a Air conditioned ( or heated) office clicking on a keyboard. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/22/20 11:26 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

one last thing..  I'm 40.. I've been hearing the noone wants to work refrain since I started working as a paperboy at the age of 11.  My dad heard it.. My dad's dad heard it..  

Same, since I was a caddie at 13. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/22/20 11:33 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

I started working for money at age 5 in 1953. I went around with my dads rake offering to rake leaves in a burn pile (?)  for 50 cents a yard. ( took an average of 4 hours per yard). 

I heard the same refrain back then. 

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
9/22/20 11:59 a.m.

Let's step back and ask ourselves a very important question:

How many people really want to work?
How many people don't *want* to work in the job they're doing now, and are doing it just to pay the bills?

There are people that work in their calling or have managed to make a hobby they enjoy lucrative, but I think the majority of people are trading their life span for a paycheck. The payout has to be worth trading life for work.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/22/20 12:02 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

How many people don't *want* to work in the job they're doing now, and are doing it just to pay the bills?

There are people that work in their calling or have managed to make a hobby they enjoy lucrative, but I think the majority of people are trading their life span for a paycheck. The payout has to be worth trading life for work.

Well said. It's very easy to judge others, put down others.  But it's more difficult to walk in their shoes with their priorities.  

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/22/20 12:04 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

Yup. While I've never read the book, and I should, the title of it says it all: 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/22/20 12:15 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:
Steve_Jones said:

It's also amazing that the hardest, most physical, and hard environment work is also paid the least. 

So much for hard work paying off 

Stamina is cheaper than skill.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OTwimVpMVObIUByXWqFJCOC7dDlUnGZfQCJzopiEI8AtbCSbva77gViGrWvpAyPT