1 2 3 4
4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
9/13/11 10:22 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: My favorite thing to remove stubborn tailgaters is an extended application of windshield washer fluid. If this happens to precede an interesting road element, bonus. I just wish I had a rear mounted camera I could toggle on. How are these chipped diesels allowed to spew all of this visibility-reducing smoke? It seems like a huge road hazard, I can't believe it's legal.

My old Jeep Cherokee had the optional rear washer/wiper. But the piece that the rubber hose mounted to, that carries washer fluid to the wiper arm, was broken off. So when you hit the rear washer, a healthy stream of washer fluid shot back at about a 30 degree angle off horizontal. Just right to cover the hood and windshield of a tailgater.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
9/13/11 10:35 p.m.

had some liquid polymer at work.. geezus... like the super-slippiest stuff on the planet, always dreamed about hookin' a tank of that polymer to a multi port manifold on the rear bumper to put tailgaters in the weeds

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
9/14/11 8:44 a.m.

I commute on the bike more than I do in my car, unfortunately, people like to tailgate my bike :(

Yeah...450lb bike being tailgated by a 7000lb pickup.

I've found this solution...12,000 RPM through a very liberated exhaust popping off the rev limiter

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
9/14/11 9:13 a.m.

In reply to 4eyes: My wife's Cherokee did that, too. She used it all the time, and it's probably the thing she misses most about that car.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
9/14/11 9:41 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I commute on the bike more than I do in my car, unfortunately, people like to tailgate my bike :( Yeah...450lb bike being tailgated by a 7000lb pickup. I've found this solution...12,000 RPM through a very liberated exhaust popping off the rev limiter

I don't currently ride a bike, but I'm frequently amazed at the way people tailgate bikes. What's the point or that? However, I'm also amazed by the crazy drving of some bikers! I get tailgated by them quite often, which I also don't get. I agree, loud pipes can help with that, and also as a safety device.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
9/14/11 10:15 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: However, I'm also amazed by the crazy drving of some bikers! I get tailgated by them quite often, which I also don't get.

Bikers in Fag or Crotch Rocket form are the worst drivers I have ever met on the road, bar none. I am an aggressive driver, but I'm also in a steel exoskeleton. They don't get another chance if some other driver decides to do something stupid (which is about 95% of the time).

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
9/14/11 10:28 a.m.

It's this sort of thing that makes a minimum 9:1 power to weight ratio a required attribute of my daily driver...

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
9/14/11 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Jay_W:

By that logic my old van should have just over 600 hp... I like that idea

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/14/11 11:55 a.m.
I don't currently ride a bike, but I'm frequently amazed at the way people tailgate bikes.

I'm frequently amazed by the lines of slow, stupid, fat harley riders who won't get the berkeley out of the goddamned fast lane.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/14/11 11:59 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
I don't currently ride a bike, but I'm frequently amazed at the way people tailgate bikes.
I'm frequently amazed by the lines of slow, stupid, fat harley riders who won't get the berkeley out of the goddamned fast lane.

They do it to other bikes too. I usually drop a gear and run right through them.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg HalfDork
9/14/11 12:02 p.m.

600hp van... I approve greatly! As for the people going slow, there is definitely something to be said for frequent passing zones on twisty one-lane-each-way roads. and a 170hp hot hatch with a 2nd gear that can be stretched to 67mph before you hit redline, 70 before the rev limiter. not particularly easy to keep that behind you in a passing zone

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/14/11 12:10 p.m.

Also amazed by bikes tailgating ME! Some people have a deathwish.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/14/11 12:33 p.m.

I must have good car-ma. I rarely deal with people pulling crap like that with me. Of course, I'm usually content to get out of the way of someone who wants to go faster than me.

Last time I dealt with an infuriating tailgater, was about 4-5 years ago. Some guy in a Smartcar I think was trying to hypermile by drafting behind my M Coupe. He kept tailgating me after I changed lanes and tapped brakes. Stupid for him, he was in a car advertising his company. So I just called the phone number on the side to complain about their driver who was driving eratically, dodging through freeway traffic, and had been tailgating me for quite a while. Then I heard the wind noise in the background and realized I was talking to the actual guy. So I had the satisfaction of being able to tell him personally, "Wow, you're an ass hole."

ransom
ransom HalfDork
9/14/11 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Salanis:

Wow. That's so dumb, and so awesome that you actually got to point out his idiocy.

I wonder whether it made any impression.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/14/11 12:41 p.m.

In reply to ransom:

Well he did flip me off as he decided to actually drive past me (I try to stick to ~8mph over on the freeway). I waved and smiled.

bluej
bluej Dork
9/14/11 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Salanis:

I hope that's the next evolution of onstar. combine with a HUD and a dial to select the car nearby, then... BEEEEP Get your ass out of my bumper motherberkeleyer! beep

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/14/11 2:10 p.m.

You license plate should be your cell number, or at least, your address.

Grizz
Grizz Reader
9/14/11 2:58 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote:

OT: I have that same muffler sitting in my basement. I've been wondering how it would sound on a 4 banger car.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
9/14/11 3:15 p.m.
Grizz wrote:
Grtechguy wrote:
OT: I have that same muffler sitting in my basement. I've been wondering how it would sound on a 4 banger car.

Deafening You should do it.

Bike is an Air/Oil cooled 600 suzuki mill. you can hear this thing clearly for about 5 miles on a still day when it's wound out. A nice little growl at low <6k rpm to a banshee howl @ redline

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
9/14/11 5:13 p.m.

Shortly after I had bought my Mazdaspeed3, some douchebag in a lifted pickup plastered in Tapout and "Keep Honking, I'm Reloading"-type stickers was doing 40mph in a single-lane 45mph zone. I passed him easily in one of the passing zones, then started going the speed limit. Mr. Roid-Rage didn't appreciate my furrin' hatchback passing his macho-mobile, so he started to tailgate and weave around behind me threateningly. Usually I let jerks like that pass me (trying to enforce a road-rager when you're not a cop usually ends badly), so I very slowly started to decelerate and moved the MS3 to the right to let him pass (there was no room to pull over). He tried passing twice, but had to abort because of oncoming traffic. That and me settling on 35mph to let him pass made him even more "HULK SMASH!!!" I even gave Mr. Roid-Rage a point-by; he gave me the finger in response. He blared his air horn at me and started to execute a pass, in a no-passing zone, with a long line of oncoming traffic heading toward him. I knew he wasn't going to make it and I was going to be caught up in the resulting crash, so I dropped into 3rd and got the hell outta Dodge.

His jaw dropped through the floorpan as his Ferd F-Teenthousand with the Overcompensation Package shrunk in my rearview. Did I mention how much I love my Mazdaspeed3?

Grizz
Grizz Reader
9/14/11 5:51 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Deafening You should do it. Bike is an Air/Oil cooled 600 suzuki mill. you can hear this thing clearly for about 5 miles on a still day when it's wound out. A nice little growl at low <6k rpm to a banshee howl @ redline

That is very good to know.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
9/15/11 9:36 a.m.

I must be lucky, there has only been one time in the last couple of years that fits into this thread.

I was driving on a two lane relatively twisty road on a Saturday morning. Ther was a lady in a G6 in front of me weaving all over the road and varying her speed by 25mph talking on her phone. It got to the point that it was making me nervous. I have been driving this road every day to and from work for like 10 years so I really know the road. We come up to a spot just befor a passing zone where you can see down the road. there is no one coming so I drop the car into 2nd and fly past her. No sooner do I get in front of her she is flashing her high beams and giving me the finger. Then she procedes to get on my bumper and snap a pic with her phone. At that point I decide a speeding ticker is worth getting away from this person and put the hammer down.

Looking back I should have called the Highway Patrol DUI number, and I have since put it in my phone.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
9/15/11 10:05 a.m.

A couple years ago when I had the Civic, I had someone in a Jaguar sedan decide to behave like he was on a tow bar behind me on a two lane road. I'm doing a reasonable speed for a 45 zone. This road doesn't have too many intersections, and has no stop signs for miles, but there's a roundabout at one point in it. The Jaguar was still on my tail when I got to the roundabout, and there's no traffic. So I just barely lifted, and zinged through the roundabout without touching the brakes.

Not sure what the Jaguar guy did in the roundabout, but he was following at a MUCH longer distance afterward.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
9/15/11 12:21 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: Ferd F-Teenthousand with the Overcompensation Package

Mind if I steal that? I've got something to call my brother's truck...

JK he doesn't have that anymore, now he has a more practical F-150 with the ecoboost V6. Also, it's not that he thinks he needs a truck when he really doesn't- His wife is a farm girl and loves driving trucks. After all, SWMBO must be obeyed... Same goes for my wife, who often tells me how my van needs more power...

ransom
ransom HalfDork
9/15/11 12:30 p.m.
Rufledt wrote:
RexSeven wrote: Ferd F-Teenthousand with the Overcompensation Package
Mind if I steal that? I've got something to call my brother's truck...

It gets better! I believe RexSeven was referring to this.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9FT6qAOs02t3Ue55k7KMd8A9CtVQYEDxZ7t3nZQeq1J51sC2UpS8NOSmYKKJV6mP