1 2 3
nlevine
nlevine Reader
3/17/23 8:13 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I was chief engineer at the radio station back in college in the mid 90's.  We still used reel-to-reel, and I learned to splice.  I could make a seamless splice with a razor blade and a roll of scotch tape.  The trick was to always cut the tape at a diagonal.  

I did the same (but in the 80's). Full-track mono reel-to-reel (Ampex 351). I was one of the last cut-and-tape editors at the station.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/18/23 9:32 a.m.

Friend of mine just found the DAT masters for a band I was in during college from an unreleased album and comp. Thought they were long gone but now need to find someone that still has a deck that can read it to get remixed laugh

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
3/18/23 10:15 a.m.

I didn't buy an album for many many years during the late '80s and early '90s.  My local FM station (which was fantastic prior to the FM conglomerate Clear Channel garbage it morphed into) always did an ad free album feature at midnight every weekday.  A high quality cassette tape in a good FM receiver with a strong signal resulted in a remarkably high fidelity recording.  When I went off to college, my "pirated" albums were indistinguishable from my roommates then costly new CD's.   Not trying to say were the same or that magnetic tape would last as long, but with a nice set of Koss headphones I could not tell any difference.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/18/23 10:41 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Still recall the final casesste I ever bought (Ministry: Land of Rape and Honey) and the first CD I ever bought (Front Line Assembly: Tactical Neural Implant).

We should hang out

ObTapes:  Usually went with the Memorexes because they were the cheapest tapes at the drugstore on the corner, and I was a baller on a budget.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
3/18/23 10:51 a.m.
Duke said:
Shadeux said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I always felt an outlier, but I hated Dolby. Always muffled things, at least on my equipment. <shrugs>

"You can't do heavy metal in Dobly!"

Didn't everybody know that the trick was to record with Dolby and playback without?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/18/23 10:56 a.m.
nlevine said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I was chief engineer at the radio station back in college in the mid 90's.  We still used reel-to-reel, and I learned to splice.  I could make a seamless splice with a razor blade and a roll of scotch tape.  The trick was to always cut the tape at a diagonal.  

I did the same (but in the 80's). Full-track mono reel-to-reel (Ampex 351). I was one of the last cut-and-tape editors at the station.

Anyone else here ever use carts?

We used them for promos, PSAs and local music that wasn’t available on CD on vinyl. 

David S. Wallens
3/18/23 10:58 a.m.

And I can still hear the sound of a cart sliding into the machine. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/20/23 11:34 a.m.

Yep rememeber that one for sure. My dj slot was Thursday "night" (1-3a on Friday) spinning top punk, hardcore, grind, metal and the occasional children's record.

David S. Wallens
3/20/23 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Yup. I don’t think it was ever officially my show, but I subbed for Loud Fast Rules, our punk/metal show. I mostly did open rotation (Wednesday night midnight to 3 a.m.) and Sounds of the City, our local (Athens) show. That one took place in the evenings. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
3/20/23 3:26 p.m.
APEowner said:

Somewhere around here I've got some TDK SA-90 cassettes with Sinclair ZX80 source code on them. 

At one time I had a bunch here too, I never really thought they'd be unobtainable so I have no idea where they are off hand

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/26/23 10:42 a.m.

So, we've been packing up the house this week to move out (doing some major home renovations) and I've been going through the stuff in my office, occasionally finding treasure. This is a good one. 

Yes, this is an official MA State Police 60-min blank cassette. Or at least it was. 

Yup, it's a Led Zeppelin mixtape. 

Back in the day, one of my friends' dads was a State Police detective. He was involved with all sorts of high profile cases, including a few you've definitely heard about, but to us, he was just our friend's dad. He was a great guy, and used to let us all party in their basement just about every weekend back when we were in our awkward teen years. Probably better to have all his daughter's friends in his house under his watch rather than us being dumb somewhere else! My friend used to get these tapes from her dad; he had cases of them on hand in case he had to do an impromptu criminal investigation. She made me this one, which has to be the most Punk Rock cassette I have in my collection. Using an OFFICIAL USE ONLY cassette to record Rock & Roll? Awesome! 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/27/23 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

I have a DAT deck...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3C1jrsE8qMlzzNXnOlGHWwFSMAcCLmy6hM8FJDhOYmZ8naIQoRmIEtaS72c4NM0A