1 2 3
ZOO
ZOO Dork
1/17/10 7:31 a.m.

Assuming you can be GRM?

Here goes. You knew you were GRM when . . .

You realized that a 350 swap into an XJ Jag made things better.

You know you are GRM when you travel more than 100 miles to buy a daily driver.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/17/10 7:40 a.m.

You know you are GRM when you travel more than 7 hours to the middle of berkeleying southern-Indiana to get a free shell for a project car...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/17/10 7:40 a.m.

When you drive across three states (two days before Christmas) for a pair of Miata seats.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/17/10 7:44 a.m.

When you're in the hardware store looking for a clothes dryer vent and you think "Hmmmm..... Brake coolers".

You're GRM when at a Christmas party you argue the benefits of Rustoleum Roller paing jobs over MAACO.

You're GRM when your Daily Driver has a GRM sticker.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
1/17/10 7:54 a.m.

when youre aggravated by the over complicated nanny-bits in the bloated current version of a car you wish you bought in the 80s.

When you can (successfully) justify to your significant other the value in keeping the old car versus its dollar value in scrap metal

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/17/10 7:56 a.m.

You're GRM when you consider a $20 car the best $20 ever spent.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim HalfDork
1/17/10 7:57 a.m.

You're GRM when your local trailer rental place has pre-printed rental agreements with all your details filled in on hand all the time.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
1/17/10 8:11 a.m.

You are GRM when the local mechanic gives you a call to see if you have a random needed car part(and you do have it).

You are GRM when you have more used motor oil waiting to be recycled, than you do fresh oil ready for use.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
1/17/10 8:17 a.m.

You are GRM when every car you own could potentially qualify for the Challenge.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
1/17/10 9:32 a.m.
sachilles wrote: You are GRM when the local mechanic gives you a call to see if you have a random needed car part(and you do have it). You are GRM when you have more used motor oil waiting to be recycled, than you do fresh oil ready for use.

I have this one covered!

is it grassroots or just cheap when you sharpen Stanley knife blades? I've been known to do this.

Joey

porksboy
porksboy Dork
1/17/10 9:35 a.m.
sachilles wrote: You are GRM when the local mechanic gives you a call to see if you have a random needed car part(and you do have it). You are GRM when you have more used motor oil waiting to be recycled, than you do fresh oil ready for use.

You are GRM when you have to go to three different parts stores to dispose of said oil becase they give you dirty looks for disposing of too many gallons. Bonus GRM membership points for not buying oil when you do so.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
1/17/10 10:02 a.m.

You know you are GRM when your entire basement is filled with stacks of tires and rims and the storage room off your kitchen once housed an engine on a stand.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
1/17/10 10:37 a.m.

You have parts stores and junkyards on speed dial. You have modified tools from 3 generations dating back to 1913. You buy cars that can use parts you already have. The parts stores and junkyards have YOU on speed dial. You can provide evidence that a pecan tree cannot support a big block, but an oak or sweet gum tree can!

92dxman
92dxman Reader
1/17/10 10:38 a.m.

You see a free or very cheap project car on Craigslist and think "hmm what could I stuff under the hood of that?" or "will that engine in the basement fit under that hood"

You can rattle off build code options more than anniversary dates or birthdays.

You have a copy of the Jegs or Race Parts Wholesale catalog as reading material for the crapper.

You automatically head for the back of the lot of a new car dealer looking for the base stripper that nobody would touch with a 10 ft. pole.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/17/10 11:46 a.m.

You are GRM when you have a race car chassis parked on buckets, in the area that was once used as your basement shooting range.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
1/17/10 11:56 a.m.

... when your cold air induction system involves spaghetti sauce cans.

... when your paint came from Walmart and went on with rollers.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
1/17/10 11:57 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: is it grassroots or just cheap when you sharpen Stanley knife blades?

I've resharpened HF blades.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
1/17/10 11:59 a.m.
Lesley wrote: You know you are GRM when ... your kitchen once housed an engine on a stand.

Fixed that for you

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/17/10 12:23 p.m.

You literally do all of your christmas shopping at Harbor Freight. (did that the other year and everyone loved their gifts!)

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
1/17/10 12:23 p.m.

You more than one Miata and have less than $5000 tied up in your "car collection."

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/17/10 12:44 p.m.

You are looking for wheels for a car, buy another car for said wheels, which puts you back at square one, except with a different car (didn't happen, but came close)

Teqnyck
Teqnyck New Reader
1/17/10 3:06 p.m.

... when you find an ultra rare car for super cheap, and you still offer him less.

... when you shop for wheels meant for the widebody that you haven't built yet.

... when you can tell the make and model of a car by the sound of the starter or the exhaust.

That's all I can think of for now.

Gimp
Gimp Dork
1/17/10 3:18 p.m.

You see spam on another forum and think "canoe".

patgizz
patgizz Dork
1/17/10 3:51 p.m.

i've always been, just didnt know there were others like me until Gimp turned me onto GRM

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
1/17/10 4:36 p.m.

You know your GRM: when you think of how to lighten more car before more you add more power.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BrTs6L0YbKmyuDyr0VHVx341xCFIOfPptypA3vD07Lr0rxHQCZAkk19zf0HavV51