4 5 6 7 8
RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
3/15/11 11:41 p.m.

When The Boy calls and asks, "Want a free truck?" And before your brain can stop it, your mouth blurts out, "Yeah."

The your brain catches up and you ask, "Wait, what kind?" not even wondering what's wrong with it and why it's free.

madpanda
madpanda New Reader
3/16/11 1:18 a.m.

When you spend two hours performing repairs on the side of the road, in the rain, at night because you broke down 106 miles away from home and your AAA Premier membership only pays for the first 100 miles of towing.

... You consider upgrading your AAA membership because you realize the RallyX venue is 107 miles away from home.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
3/16/11 5:25 a.m.

When you start driving out of your way to get a better glimpse at a mint, black 900 turbo.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/16/11 7:20 a.m.

You start picturing box flares on everything. Including the microwave.

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
3/16/11 9:08 a.m.
Luke wrote: When you start driving out of your way to get a better glimpse at a mint, black 900 turbo.

When you start driving out of your way to get a better glimpse at a complete POS Subaru SVX you've never seen not in its spot.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/16/11 9:13 a.m.

You know you are GRM when instead of repairing a dent in your car, you just put a GRM decal over it.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/16/11 9:38 a.m.

When you own a 5.0 Mustang and every penny you've put into it went into making it turn.

When you've argued with an aftermarket manufacturer about what cars their parts fit. (I did this with Eibach and their AE86 springs; they say they won't fit on an SR5, only a GT-S (o_0) )

When you've had car salesmen to walk away from you, not because they think you're not buying, but because you've had to correct them about multiple things they've said about every car they've shown you.

When the only place you can buy acceptable tires (without getting them shipped) is at a racetrack.

When your SO can tell the difference between a 4.6 and 5.0 just by the sound, but doesn't know what either "pushrod" or "overhead cam" means.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/16/11 11:03 a.m.

When you have lots of cars and no money to do anything with them.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/16/11 11:06 a.m.

When you wonder if your project car is "weird enough."

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
3/16/11 11:10 a.m.

When you are deciding whether or not to buy a car not for its features or safety or mileage, but how wide of a tire you can put on it.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/16/11 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Lugnut: Or what AX class it'll put you in.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole New Reader
3/16/11 3:34 p.m.

You look at plumbing in an old building & think of what kind of vehicles you could turbo with it.

nervousdog
nervousdog Reader
3/16/11 4:09 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: When you are deciding whether or not to buy a car not for its features or safety or mileage, but how wide of a tire you can put on it.
ReverendDexter wrote: In reply to Lugnut: Or what AX class it'll put you in.

Guilty!

You know you're GRM when the guys at the local tire place call and ask if you want them to order a particular set of tires for you because "there's only 12 left in the U.S. and the season is about to start"

nervousdog
nervousdog Reader
3/16/11 4:15 p.m.

When you're spouse tells you be careful because you almost walked into the floor lamp and you think "Yeah! Hit that apex perfectly!"

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
3/16/11 4:47 p.m.

When your spouse has never parked her car in the garage in the 10+ years you've been in the house.

When you've paid a "professional" their inspection fee just so you could get the right part number to fix it yourself. (Washing machine).

If you have a warranty on anything but still fix it yourself because you don't want to wait around all day for something you can do in 30 minutes.

If said 30 minutes extended to a few hours because you had to go buy "the right tool" (as an excuse to buy more tools).

If you've ever owned a car that appeared on a Worst/Lemons Car list. Or, if you've ever read one of said lists and bought a car off of it.

If you had to read this thread in multiple stages to give your stomach a chance to recover from all the laughter....

-Rob

dollraves
dollraves Reader
3/16/11 6:50 p.m.

You know you're GRM when:

  • you have three running cars but not a single one that's drivable. (This is after selling my only drivable car because I hate front-wheel drive...)
  • you spend more time ogling a 40 year old Japanese beater than the shiny new Tesla next to it.
  • your future roommate shows you the garage and you say, "I'll take it" without looking at the rest of the house. When they protest that you should see upstairs, you say, "No, I'm sure. I can shower at work if I have to..."
  • if changing [insert small random part here] turned into a complete tear down and rebuild of the car...

Personally, if I had any doubt before, I think spending five days in a car (with no air conditioning in a heat wave) driving to a Challenge that I was most likely to come in last, if I could get there at all (because getting there is part of the Challenge) confirmed that I am, indeed, some kind of GRM. :D

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer HalfDork
3/16/11 7:41 p.m.

...if you come home from work to find an additional car added to the fleet. When you go to investigate it, you find a note that reads "thought you could use this' and no one you know can answer where it came from.

True story.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
3/16/11 7:48 p.m.

When your wife suggests you head into the city for a nice romantic dinner, but that is waaaaay too much work, and then you drive across the entire state for a pair doors for a car you may be selling in a few weeks anyway... (Oddly specific?)

When you have a four car garage and still have cars in the driveway...

When you can pretty accurately date the Google Earth image of your house because of what cars were in the driveway...

ShadowSix
ShadowSix New Reader
3/16/11 8:46 p.m.
SillyImportRacer wrote: ...if you come home from work to find an additional car added to the fleet. When you go to investigate it, you find a note that reads "thought you could use this' and no one you know can answer where it came from. True story.

That is awesome. What kind of car?

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
3/16/11 9:15 p.m.

You know you are GRM when your kitchen is stocked with more car parts and tools than food and cooking utensils.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
3/16/11 9:28 p.m.

It blows your mind when somebody spends $130 on brand name mud flaps when you showed them how to make better ones for $20. I'm looking at you Subaru owners. Stop being berkeleying stupid!

Raze
Raze Dork
3/16/11 9:49 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: ... when your paint ... went on with rollers
Type Q wrote: You more than one Miata and have less than $5000 tied up in your "car collection."
Teqnyck wrote: ... when you find an ultra rare car for super cheap, and you still offer him less. ... when you can tell the make and model of a car by the sound of the starter or the exhaust.
Gimp wrote: You see spam on another forum and think "canoe".
Volksroddin wrote: You know your GRM: when you think of how to lighten more car before more you add more power.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: When you stop counting your time as valuable but somehow make a mountain out of the price of everyone else's labor.
ReverendDexter wrote: ...you look at zipties as a permanent fix.
ultraclyde wrote: when you're bored you'd rather surf Craigslist than channels

That was only after the first 3 pages, one more: you know you're GRM when you can determine what brand car has a coolant leak by the slight variation in smell between types

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
3/16/11 9:58 p.m.

When you buy the base model because it's lighter and you were going to change out the entire power train and suspension anyway.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
3/16/11 10:21 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: When you can pretty accurately date the Google Earth image of your house because of what cars were in the driveway...

I e36m3 you not, The Boy and I were replacing the intake manifold gasket in his Tracer when the Google Street View van went by my house.

NickF40
NickF40 HalfDork
3/16/11 11:28 p.m.

Just in conclusion, reading all this....and I've always found myself at home here in the GRM world....but.....what the berkeley is wrong with us! LOL

Mini, what's your address haha

4 5 6 7 8
Our Preferred Partners
bfBm0aKA840S214fwC0jxgiA7bhh02kNmKTn3FmQQbUvGmWt1Jqs9UHhGkklr4KN