1 2
bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
4/12/19 9:38 p.m.

That's exactly why I wanted to get a track car so bad. I have been lucky and traveled a ton. Seen a lot of places most haven't but I quit really driving for fun. I can't wait to get that car out to the track. I'm pretty close to having it ready to roll. 

I had a friend have a massive stroke a couple years ago. He was 42 and only about a year older than me. It was tough to swallow and woke me up to quit delaying. 

dj06482
dj06482 UltraDork
4/12/19 9:46 p.m.

I'm sorry to hear that. My father-in-law has been battling cancer for 20 years (not a misprint) and is thankfully doing awesome, and my mother-in-law has been battling cancer for the last ten years. My father-in-law was finally able to retire two years ago at 70, and my mother-in-law has been in almost constant treatment since a few months before he retired.

Seeing their experience has taught me two big lessons:

- Things really doesnt matter, so it's not worth slaving away for them

- Live in the present, and don't delay everything fun until retirement

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/13/19 5:36 a.m.

Canoe

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/14/19 1:55 p.m.

He just passed. Time to get a race car and name it after him. Two small boys without a dad. So sad. 

Antihero
Antihero Dork
4/14/19 1:57 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

He just passed. Time to get a race car and name it after him. Two small boys without a dad. So sad. 

Im really sorry to hear than man

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
4/14/19 2:53 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

1000x this. I'm trying to teach my kids that the biggest regrets are the ships that sailed without you.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
4/15/19 8:07 a.m.

Funny timing on this thread.  Got an email from my older brother who is 68.  He had a colonoscopy and then had to have a small section of bowel operated on to remove some polyps.   He says the doc told him it was a genetic sort of "pre cancer", which makes me wonder if I and my two daughters need to keep an eye on it.  I'm due for my second colonoscopy this year and I'm going to get it done at the first opportunity.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
4/15/19 8:32 a.m.

A good friend of mine just buried his baby brother.  Hard working and really successful, father of two and he dropped dead of a heart attack at 43.  No warning, nothing.  Enjoy your life, who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
4/15/19 10:35 a.m.
stroker said:

Funny timing on this thread.  Got an email from my older brother who is 68.  He had a colonoscopy and then had to have a small section of bowel operated on to remove some polyps.   He says the doc told him it was a genetic sort of "pre cancer", which makes me wonder if I and my two daughters need to keep an eye on it.  I'm due for my second colonoscopy this year and I'm going to get it done at the first opportunity.

Yes, you absolutely do. My BIL’s brother was diagnosed with this about 20-years ago, but it was caught too late. My BIL & his mother were both tested - it was too late for his mother, but they caught his in time. Unfortunately they ended up dissecting him piece be piece for about 10-years before he finally got to the point of needing a colostomy bag. He’s had some struggles since then, but has been pretty stable the last few years & is able to get out & fish/hunt/etc. again. 

Both their daughters require annual colonoscopies though, and there’s a certain probability it could be passed down to the grandkids too. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/15/19 10:39 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:
stroker said:

Yes, you absolutely do. My BIL’s brother was diagnosed with this about 20-years ago, but it was caught too late. My BIL & his mother were both tested - it was too late for his mother, but they caught his in time. Unfortunately they ended up dissecting him piece be piece for about 10-years before he finally got to the point of needing a colostomy bag. He’s had some struggles since then, but has been pretty stable the last few years & is able to get out & fish/hunt/etc. again. 

Both their daughters require annual colonoscopies though, and there’s a certain probability it could be passed down to the grandkids too. 

Yes, especially if you/your daughters eat meat, and especially if you/they eat red meat. I'll be going in at 35 years for my first. I'll likely have to pay out of pocket for it unless I can convince my PCP that my family history requires it earlier, but it is worth it for the peace of mind. The studies are trending towards the "fact" that it occurs earlier in life for each subsequent generation, which has me worried. My dad got his first at 40, I think he paid OOP for it too. While his first showed nothing, he had some polyps removed at 63 years old. Grandpa had colorectal cancer, probably formed in his 80's. Uncle had it (along with pancreatic cancer) in his 50's. I don't care what is covered or not, I'll be getting this done earlier than recommended. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
4/15/19 12:27 p.m.

Wise old man told me that when you look back on your life, your regrets will be about things you did not do, not things you did.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/16/19 10:06 p.m.

Fueledbycaffeiene, I’m so sorry. 

My uncle just just texted me asking if I was interested in a trip to Quetico. Gonna try hard to go, and this thread is a big reason why. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ExUQIESfYyEoX04UQYDxdEY4qwPVOK3FObJ0oYgWlVxvYqXDXTBVWLBpJXS0Of2c