1 2
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/26/17 10:21 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: Shave a few ounces off at a time, make the rounds at local "cash for gold" places. Make sure you interject "I NO WUT I HAV!" into every conversation with store personnel.

That might work for a few ounces at a handful of stores. But gold bars are multiple POUNDS. Eventually word will get out that some dude is going around to various stores selling shavings of gold. Something I'm sure these stores see all the time - NOT.

I feel safe in saying trying your method would generate suspicion pretty damn quick. Even if you try to spread it using multiple people, gold shavings are simply not the old jewelry these stores usually deal with.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/26/17 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

A lot of them are melting it anyway, you just have to pick the right neighborhoods.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
4/26/17 10:42 a.m.

i say turn it all into small shavings then have a 'spur of the moment' idea that you want to go to Alaska and become a gold hunter like the cool guys on Discovery Channel. Stay up there in a nice hotel for around a month, grow a beard, dont wash your clothes, etc, really look the part when you return. Then show back up with a couple jars of gold shavings saying you hit the mother load. Those guys up there seem to have no problem selling off decently large amounts of gold shavings

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/26/17 4:08 p.m.

You could always take it to Pawn Stars.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
4/26/17 10:12 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: You could always take it to Pawn Stars.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
4/26/17 10:22 p.m.

Reporting requirements

So shave the bars to less than a kilo, find a reputable broke like Pacific precious metals and everything is good. No need to announce a major find and be subjected to all the problems that could come with it.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
4/27/17 11:29 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote: i say turn it all into small shavings then have a 'spur of the moment' idea that you want to go to Alaska and become a gold hunter like the cool guys on Discovery Channel. Stay up there in a nice hotel for around a month, grow a beard, dont wash your clothes, etc, really look the part when you return. Then show back up with a couple jars of gold shavings saying you hit the mother load. Those guys up there seem to have no problem selling off decently large amounts of gold shavings

Why not just drop a bar in the water and say you found an unusually large deposit?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
4/28/17 5:00 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
Pinchvalve said: You should buy a tank!
Challenge accepted!

I first thought; wow, that dude in denim is a bad hombre riding that tank like that.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
4/28/17 12:36 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:
914Driver wrote:
Pinchvalve said: You should buy a tank!
Challenge accepted!
I first thought; wow, that dude in denim is a bad hombre riding that tank like that.

They all three are, the guy riding the tank, the guy riding the tractor, and the guy riding what looks to be a small 55-gallon drum.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
4/28/17 12:49 p.m.

Is that small 55 gal. drum for condensed liquids ?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/29/17 8:19 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: i say turn it all into small shavings then have a 'spur of the moment' idea that you want to go to Alaska and become a gold hunter like the cool guys on Discovery Channel. Stay up there in a nice hotel for around a month, grow a beard, dont wash your clothes, etc, really look the part when you return. Then show back up with a couple jars of gold shavings saying you hit the mother load. Those guys up there seem to have no problem selling off decently large amounts of gold shavings

Backyard foundry and casting FTW

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/29/17 9:51 a.m.

I wonder if tank shells are easier or harder to get than .22LR?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
4/29/17 11:43 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

I'd expect pretty easy. Especially with a couple mil in gold bars.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/20/21 7:28 a.m.

Yeah but they won't fit in the glove compartment.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/20/21 9:49 a.m.
Robbie said:

Pretty sure if I found gold bars in the gas tank of an Iraqi tank, I wouldn't be hot on telling the world.

I'd probably take 10 million of the 12.5 and cash it out discreetly. Then I might call a news reporter with the remaining 2.5 million for the fame. Might even volunteer to try to "return" the 2.5 million so I don't have really angry bad guys coming after me for their gold bars.

I mean......how do we know he didn't do that already?

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
2/20/21 9:54 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Shave a few ounces off at a time, make the rounds at local "cash for gold" places. Make sure you interject "I NO WUT I HAV!" into every conversation with store personnel.

This is the answer.   Don't get greedy.  A few grams at a time and don't change your lifestyle.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/20/21 10:34 p.m.

make your own jewelry and sell that?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dv1zUu4zfjCXQdKP9ChnnaPQRBzP2ol1tF1dORi1x7wUyaHVzIV9JsdSHia6BAav