1 2 3
Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/12/22 11:02 a.m.

I live in the sticks and been commuting since 1989.

I never put anything in my vehicles other than booster cables, though we don't really get extreme weather. I have put my insulated coveralls in the car if it's really cold, but that only happened a few times.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/12/22 1:59 p.m.

Long commute (but mostly highway) 
 - jumper cables
 - winter tires (in season)
 - army blanket and snow shovel (with cut down handle so it fits) in the trunk
 - bag of snacks (Slim Jim, fig bars, and similar prepackaged)
 - usually a bottle of water
 - ice scraper

it's been enough so far. The Army blanket worked to get me traction after a shunt avoiding a semi that took me onto a muddy shoulder. And after washing, looks just like it did before. 

I normally have a folding knife, flashlight, and cell phone on me

Recently added: HF cigatette lighter charging flashlight (not the older recelled one)
Some things to add: some cash, some quarters, maybe a spare pair of socks & gloves

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/13/22 5:13 p.m.

Just filled up my DD car's resevoir with deicer windshield spray.

Question: if one were to spray some on a door handle or something to (try to) get it unstuck during/with bad weather - what harmful side effects could/would occur? Thought about putting some into a spray bottle.

That said, I try to put some masking tape on the drivers' door seams and tape something that will act as a 'roof' to my door handle so that moisture doesnt get to it easily.

This year/weekend, I'll likely put on a car cover Saturday evening, just in case. Got it last Christmas, but not used it yet.

I know this is not exactly on topic for this thread, but these preparations for bad weather got me thinking

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/13/22 7:37 p.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

Just filled up my DD car's resevoir with deicer windshield spray.

Question: if one were to spray some on a door handle or something to (try to) get it unstuck during/with bad weather - what harmful side effects could/would occur? Thought about putting some into a spray bottle.

That said, I try to put some masking tape on the drivers' door seams and tape something that will act as a 'roof' to my door handle so that moisture doesnt get to it easily.

This year/weekend, I'll likely put on a car cover Saturday evening, just in case. Got it last Christmas, but not used it yet.

I know this is not exactly on topic for this thread, but these preparations for bad weather got me thinking

Dude, you are massively overthinking it. 5 inches of snow is basically nothing, we got 14inches and rain. 

This is my zx2, I'm gonna dig it out tomorrow and drive it out of this spot

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/14/22 7:29 a.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Spray down the locks and Handel release mechanism with silicone. Use the little tube spray adaptor and fill up the key hole a couple times. Do this once a month or so or if you know bad weather is coming do it. and you should have no frozen lock/door release issues. The silicone displaces water. Also a quick wipe down of the door seals with silicon spray keeps the gaskets from freezing together. Lastly while you are there give the hinges a spray as well.  Never hurts to keep them water free. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/14/22 9:52 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

And that will keep the handles from sticking? I dont worry about the locks as much as I do the handle simply not functioning. 

Thanks bro 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yqP5ka8T60ziGoa0wVVgvLfwjcwWpPPu4KpNhouWfs6qb4kOQdQshlwUo7UzYlr0